Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dolby Digital Ex on Cinemax

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

I got a phone solicitation from D* a couple of days ago for HBO+Cinemax, $6/mo for 3 months, and I took them up, so right now I'm watching The Art of War on Cinemax HD West, and it has DD Ex sound. It sounds great. I haven't gotten a lot of use from my back surrounds up to now -- i.e., the 6th and 7th channels of 7.1 sound. Do Cinemax and other premium channels have 7.1 sound regularly these days?
Greg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

I noticed when I had showtime that there is a fair amount of content that had surround sound, not a ton, but quite a bit more than the normal channels.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

I got a phone solicitation from D* a couple of days ago for HBO+Cinemax, $6/mo for 3 months, and I took them up, so right now I'm watching The Art of War on Cinemax HD West, and it has DD Ex sound. It sounds great. I haven't gotten a lot of use from my back surrounds up to now -- i.e., the 6th and 7th channels of 7.1 sound. Do Cinemax and other premium channels have 7.1 sound regularly these days?

EX is not true 6 / 7 channel mode.

#4 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

EX is not true 6 / 7 channel mode.

Sure it is. It's just not discrete.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,739 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

Technically, EX is a 6.1 mode: LF, C, RF, left, right, rear and sub.

There is also a EX 7.1, but it just pumps out the single rear channel into two speakers.

#6 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

There is also a EX 7.1, but it just pumps out the single rear channel into two speakers.

My receiver, Pioneer 1017, as I have it set, always sends some sort of signal to all 8 speakers, but mostly, in my judgment, the back surrounds don't really contribute to the surround effect, ordinarily. With the Cinemax channels that my receiver now says send DD Ex sound, however, I do hear an extra surround effect from the back surround speakers. It sounds good.

Since my earlier posting, I've noticed that HBO and several of the Discovery channels also have DD Ex sound (according to my receiver). But so far, I haven't managed to actually hear any back surround effect on channels other than Cinemax.
Greg

#7 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 923 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

I haven't noticed the DD EX label when putting on any of the HBO shows/movies. I only have 5.1 speaker setup, but my receiver does show EX when something is in EX. Cool if this is true, and when it gets more prevelent, I might have to spring for the extra speakers.

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

Yup.

I have EX 6.1, EX 7.1, and THX 7.1 support in my Home Theater and certfiied THX speakers.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...