Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Returning to DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jnetty99

Jnetty99

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hi all,

I’m thinking of returning to DirecTV after a year of having cable TV through Cablevision. I would like to return to DTV but don’t really want to pay for anything except for the bill. I wonder if anyone have any tips on achieving what I want to get from DTV.

I need DTV reinstalled on three rooms and would like all to have HD-DVR’s (I had this before). Installation in general should be minimal, the old lines are still there (cable is using them at the moment) for two rooms, and one room would require a second line added for dual recording. Also the 5 LNB dish is still on the roof.

So you think it could be done?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

You will probably have to pay for the additional DVRs, but that is about it.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hi all,

I’m thinking of returning to DirecTV after a year of having cable TV through Cablevision. I would like to return to DTV but don’t really want to pay for anything except for the bill. I wonder if anyone have any tips on achieving what I want to get from DTV.

I need DTV reinstalled on three rooms and would like all to have HD-DVR’s (I had this before). Installation in general should be minimal, the old lines are still there (cable is using them at the moment) for two rooms, and one room would require a second line added for dual recording. Also the 5 LNB dish is still on the roof.

So you think it could be done?

Installation can be free...three HD-DVR's? Probably not a real good chance of that.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

I agree with Grentz. You should be able to get the first one free and install free but the other two you are going to have to pay for.

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

If you left on good terms you can return as a returning not a new customer. You will probably pay $400-500 for the leased equipment you want.

#6 OFFLINE   Jnetty99

Jnetty99

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

If you left on good terms you can return as a returning not a new customer. You will probably pay $400-500 for the leased equipment you want.

I left in good terms, paid their cancellation fee's, returned their equipment and all.

$400-500 is too much. I remember getting their boxes before for like $20 with 2 year contract.

Verizon is my other option if DTV doesn't work out.

#7 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Assuming you will be leasing your equipment:

When you call, ask to be transferred to the Customer Retention Group. If you try signing up as a new sub, and assuming you will be leasing equipment, the CSR will request your SS# then be blocked from going ahead and will have to transfer you anyways. Same is true with the website. You'll save 15 mins on the phone just asking to be transferred right away. The Customer Retention Group should be able to get you like a new customer deals. If not, go through another member in the family, like a spouse, as the SS# number will be different as and sign as a new customer.

#8 OFFLINE   Prince Oz

Prince Oz

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

I returned back to D* after 1 1/2 years. I had to pay for nothing. I started with just a single room hook up but called them back 4 days later (3 days before scheduled install) and asked for a second room HD hook. They charged me nothing. Reciever was free. Just have the additional rec. fee on my bill and thats it.
Prince Oz
Living = HR23-700, Sammy LN52A550, BD350, Yamaha 735
Game Room = Dell XPS 630, 360 Elite, Vizio VS32, HR20
Roll Tide Roll

#9 OFFLINE   DtvSlave

DtvSlave

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

When you try to resign up, you will be what is concidered a "winback" most csr's and retailers will treat this as a new customer if directv determins you left on good terms, however, in the system it will be listed as a "winback". I have ran 2 of these in the last couple of weeks and the only difference I have seen between that and new is the title.

#10 OFFLINE   Jnetty99

Jnetty99

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

Just a note to all the posted about new customer and SS#.
The previous account was actually under my mom's name (DTV never let me change it or transfer it over). So I could try going back through her or I will be making a new account with my information.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

I left in good terms, paid their cancellation fee's, returned their equipment and all.

$400-500 is too much. I remember getting their boxes before for like $20 with 2 year contract.

Verizon is my other option if DTV doesn't work out.

I find it really hard to believe you got 3 HD DVR's for $20 before.

The usual deal provided you meet the criteria is possibly one free HD DVR, and 1 at somewhere between $99 and $199, I dont even know if you can get 3 on initial install, especially if you have only been gone a year. Why flounder back and forth? Pick a provider and stay with them.

#12 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

Just a note to all the posted about new customer and SS#.
The previous account was actually under my mom's name (DTV never let me change it or transfer it over). So I could try going back through her or I will be making a new account with my information.

You need to setup your own account. So if you have never had an account under your name you will be a new customer.

The first HD DVR will be free the second and third will cost $199 plus $19.95 for D&H assuming you qualify based on credit scores. Just call them and ask them and they can get you setup. However they will not provide 3 hd dvr's for free so if that's your stipulation you can save yourself some time and just call Verizon.

#13 OFFLINE   Jnetty99

Jnetty99

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

I find it really hard to believe you got 3 HD DVR's for $20 before.

The usual deal provided you meet the criteria is possibly one free HD DVR, and 1 at somewhere between $99 and $199, I dont even know if you can get 3 on initial install, especially if you have only been gone a year. Why flounder back and forth? Pick a provider and stay with them.

I didn't get all of them at the same time. I think I got 1 first and then 2 about 6 months after. I paid $20 bucks for the last two each. I had to make a fee calls and finally someone gave me that price. I had been with DTV for over 9 years before i switch to cable. But their service has been very unstable on the cable side. The internet and phone service works well.

#14 OFFLINE   Jnetty99

Jnetty99

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

I called up and talked to three people. Best I was offered was 1 HD-DVR and 1 used HD-DVR for $99 and a regular HD model.

I'll keep trying and keep looking for any specials.

#15 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

That really is not a bad deal at all considering usually you only get one advanced receiver for free (HD, DVR, or HD-DVR). Also 1 "used" is kind of a interesting way of saying it cause in any case you have the possibility of getting a refurb.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#16 OFFLINE   Jnetty99

Jnetty99

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

That really is not a bad deal at all considering usually you only get one advanced receiver for free (HD, DVR, or HD-DVR). Also 1 "used" is kind of a interesting way of saying it cause in any case you have the possibility of getting a refurb.

I think he said refurb and not used.

I'm going to call again and see If i could get at least the following free.
1 HD-DVR
1 HD reciever
1 DVR reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...