Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

slimline 3 lnb/hr22 installation?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Buco444

Buco444

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

Hi everybody,
friend of mine asked me to do sat install for him. He has old 18" dish and wants to go HD.
He's got new plasma tv, slimline 3 lnb (with 4 out) dish and HR22-100 receiver. Only one coax from dish to the tv location and he is fine with not having dual tuner option but I'll try to run additional coax if it's not complicated.
I'm an av installer and have done plenty of sat installs in the past with older style dishes but never a slimeline version.
I was browsing various sites today trying to get familiar with process of installing and fine tuning.
I would like to make sure that I'm not going to need any extra hardware besides dish and a receiver so:
- I hear mention of a separate power inverter to power up the LNB, it looks like this would only apply to SWM line but not sure 100%
- I'll still need Ka/Ku converter connected, right?
- Install is in Galena, IL and I found El-Az-Tilt to be 40-196-79 respectively (numbers are rounded), would this be true for this type of dish?
- I heard of a trick in this educational video that tells you to force the receiver into software update mode by punching in 0 2 4 6 8 from a remote on a hello screen, is this helpful and necessary?
Any other tips and heads up are welcome to make this a smooth upgrade since the house is in back of the woods and it's a hardware stores aren't around a corner.
Thank you very much

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

1. Power inserter is only necessary for the SWM version of the LNB. Standard versions are powered by the receiver alone.

2. Non-SWM LNBs means that the BBC is still required, yes.

3. Not sure, but the receiver will tell you. Punch in the zip code during receiver setup and it will give you the Slimline settings for your area.

4. The receiver will automatically download the latest software within 10 minutes or so of being connected to a working sat feed, and then will update itself whenever new software is released. It is actually pretty rare to need to do a manual update. Do let the receiver update its software before calling to activate it, though, or it will likely start the update process while you're talking to the CSR, and you'll have to hang up and call back when its done.

#3 OFFLINE   Buco444

Buco444

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

Wow, I was hoping this is active forum that was fast!
Thank you!
Hey I like my user#, cool.
Oh something else thou, it's unclear to me if I'm safe with slimline 3 lnb vs 5.
Some say you only need extra satellites for spanish stations but also for locals in certain areas?

#4 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

Wow, I was hoping this is active forum that was fast!
Thank you!
Hey I like my user#, cool.
Oh something else thou, it's unclear to me if I'm safe with slimline 3 lnb vs 5.
Some say you only need extra satellites for spanish stations but also for locals in certain areas?

You are safe w/ a Slimline3. Your local SD's come from 101. (and HD's from 103)
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#5 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:36 PM

Would the slimeline 3 have the same range as the 5LNB? I mean can it be off by a little and still get the channels from the 103 or does it still have to be pointing to the specific AZ and Tilt? o and EL

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

The SL3 and SL5 are identical in their need to be pointed with great precision and accuracy. The only difference is the presence or absense of the 110 and 119 LNBs, which are Ku-band. 99 and 103 are Ka-band, and have much smaller wavelengths.

#7 OFFLINE   Buco444

Buco444

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:06 PM

You are safe w/ a Slimline3. Your local SD's come from 101. (and HD's from 103)

Awesome,
thank you!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...