Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Switching back to Dish, maybe?!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MistyEyes

MistyEyes

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hi all!

2 years ago we were with Dish.
We switched to Directv because that was the time where Dish had removed Court TV, and that was a must have, at that time.
Now 2 years later, our contract is up (thank goodness)!!!
I have gone through 4, R-15 300's and 1, R16 300 and I can not wait to get rid of it! YUK!

Now my question about Dish is regarding their DVR/s.
As of right now, we have standard vision, not HD, so ..
When I get a DVR, do I want to get the HD or standard?
This DVR goes in the bedroom as hubby is NOT a tech person, and would not know what to do with it.
I also need it to be a 2 room DVR where I can use the remote to change channels.
My Remote now, from Directv is an RF remote.

I am also curious as to what is on the back of these units, because I record from DVR to Computer via S-Video + audio outputs.

I also just got notice that Directv is going up on their price, so that I think put the icing on the cake!

Any information you can share will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all so much!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

Unless you plan on having an HDTV before install, go with the SD DVR. Plus it is a 2-TV receiver.

Tv1 has coax, RCA and S-video. TV2 has coax and RCA.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

If you think you might be upgrading to HD soon, you'll want to do it now, because Dish makes you wait 12 months before you can do an upgrade, unless you buy the receiver outright. The two-room receivers only output in HD to the TV1; the TV2 is normally connected with coax, and is SD-only.

#4 OFFLINE   chainblu

chainblu

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

She might be in an EA DMA, in which case she would get an HD receiver(s) regardless.

#5 OFFLINE   Islandguy43

Islandguy43

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:53 AM

Hi all!

2 years ago we were with Dish.
We switched to Directv because that was the time where Dish had removed Court TV, and that was a must have, at that time.
Now 2 years later, our contract is up (thank goodness)!!!
I have gone through 4, R-15 300's and 1, R16 300 and I can not wait to get rid of it! YUK!

Now my question about Dish is regarding their DVR/s.
As of right now, we have standard vision, not HD, so ..
When I get a DVR, do I want to get the HD or standard?
This DVR goes in the bedroom as hubby is NOT a tech person, and would not know what to do with it.
I also need it to be a 2 room DVR where I can use the remote to change channels.
My Remote now, from Directv is an RF remote.

I am also curious as to what is on the back of these units, because I record from DVR to Computer via S-Video + audio outputs.

I also just got notice that Directv is going up on their price, so that I think put the icing on the cake!

Any information you can share will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all so much!!!

You might want one of the vip722, 622 or 612 hd dvr's anyways, because there are channels that are only available in hd, but can be viewed on a sd tv. Plus, when you do buy a hdtv in the future, you will be all set with no upgrade process.
Just give me the Sabres and Yankees in HD.

#6 OFFLINE   MistyEyes

MistyEyes

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

She might be in an EA DMA, in which case she would get an HD receiver(s) regardless.

What is EA DMA ??
thanks

You might want one of the vip722, 622 or 612 hd dvr's anyways, because there are channels that are only available in hd, but can be viewed on a sd tv. Plus, when you do buy a hdtv in the future, you will be all set with no upgrade process.

I am going to call Dish and price this stuff out.
It makes sense to get these HD receivers and DVRs now since our GOVMent is making us go digi, and the better TVs are HD.
I just wish those TVs would come down in price a little faster LOL!

Thanks all!

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

It makes sense to get these HD receivers and DVRs now since our GOVMent is making us go digi, and the better TVs are HD.

The digital transition has virtually nothing to do with HD, and is pretty meaningless to satellite subscribers anyway.

spam firewall