Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish says returned receiver had insects

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phoneman06

phoneman06

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:33 PM

After numerous bad customer service experiences, I switched to Directv in November. Dish sent boxes for their receivers and I returned them on time. Today I received a bill for 225.00 because they said it was infested with insects and was not operable. I do not believe this at all and the the receivers were all working when I shipped them out. The other two receivers were fine. What are my options? What happens if I don't pay it? They don't have any active credits they can charge it to. Can I make them prove it was my receiver they were looking at? Can I buy a receiver off of ebay and send to them? If I pay them, can I make them ship the receiver back to me? And they wonder why I left them for Directv!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ohioankev

Ohioankev

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

After numerous bad customer service experiences, I switched to Directv in November. Dish sent boxes for their receivers and I returned them on time. Today I received a bill for 225.00 because they said it was infested with insects and was not operable. I do not believe this at all and the the receivers were all working when I shipped them out. The other two receivers were fine. What are my options? What happens if I don't pay it? They don't have any active credits they can charge it to. Can I make them prove it was my receiver they were looking at? Can I buy a receiver off of ebay and send to them? If I pay them, can I make them ship the receiver back to me? And they wonder why I left them for Directv!!

Nice, I lived in a place with a bad roach infestation a year ago and I probably have dead bugs in mine too... I don't have roaches anymore and the box works great... but they are going to swap it out for an HD receiver in a couple of weeks... this development of yours makes me feel worried about my future situation.

#3 OFFLINE   plainsman

plainsman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

Tell them it's just a bug in the system.
-PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

I was told by someone who worked for cable that STB's make great "roach hotels" due to the power supplies being on 24/7.

Hopefully you have a record of the R00 & S00 numbers of the receivers you returned. Ask Dish for the number of the "infested" STB. If the numbers do not match it's not your box.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Tell them it's just a bug in the system.
-PM.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

Actually, Dish's receiver RA system is actually very good and accurate. Considering that I have to return at least 20 receivers a week, and have to track them all the way until they come off the account, I can tell you that in 2 years, I've never, ever had a problem. Receivers are scanned in via barcode scanner, and is of course linked to your account, as all active receivers are.

It would be pretty hard to fight, IMO.

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

I doubt if they can prove that it didn't happen sitting in some warehouse waiting to be delivered to Dish. Sounds pretty outrageous to me.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   julesism

julesism

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

yea, that's a silly claim. if you cant get anywhere with normal CSR's, i'd send a polite email to ceo at dishnetwork dot com.

#9 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

I doubt if they can prove that it didn't happen sitting in some warehouse waiting to be delivered to Dish. Sounds pretty outrageous to me.

I know they ship UPS, but anything I have ever sent, has only taken 3 days, and they process it the day its recieved. Not saying its the OP's fault, but I really doubt Dish or any company would take steps like that without Documentation. I haven't worked RMA in a warehouse in a VERY longtime, we would let stuff slide unless it was really bad.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,459 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

The other thing curious here... if the original poster is sure he isn't to blame, why is he even asking about buying another receiver off eBay to send back to Dish?

If I'm in the right, I wouldn't even entertain that notion.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,331 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

Actually, Dish's receiver RA system is actually very good and accurate. Considering that I have to return at least 20 receivers a week, and have to track them all the way until they come off the account, I can tell you that in 2 years, I've never, ever had a problem. Receivers are scanned in via barcode scanner, and is of course linked to your account, as all active receivers are.

It would be pretty hard to fight, IMO.

DISH managed to lose a 301 that I sent in for Dish'n'It Up three years ago but that was only $25 to credit.

#12 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

If he has to pay for it shouldn't he be able to get it back since he is paying for it? He could then inspect it.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#13 OFFLINE   phoneman06

phoneman06

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:13 AM

The receiver was in my basement which is normally cooler so I don't disagree there might have been a bug or two that wandered in there to get warm, but there is no way it was infested so bad it did not operate. We have our house sprayed quarterly and I never see any kind of insects around.
What I really want to know is has anyone had to fight a battle similiar to this with Dish? I heard they turn it over to a collection agency and it ends up going on your credit report. I heard they don't give ex-customers much of a chance. Does anyone think they will send the receiver back to me so I can see the damage? I can buy 211's for nothing on ebay, so I would love to just buy one of them and ship to them instead of giving them 225.00.

#14 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

If he has to pay for it shouldn't he be able to get it back since he is paying for it? He could then inspect it.

I think that is a great idea. I will pay, but YOU HAVE TO SEND IT BACK to me, is what he should be pushing for.

I upgraded a 211 to a 622 and the installer took the 211, but some how it wasn't shipped back. I battled Dish and the installer for 3 months, before I gave in paid for the 211. I asked several times, if I could send any 211 back,and they kept up the argument I had to send in the one that was on my account, to remove the R00 number from my account.
Finally found it at the installers, shop, but kept it as I had paid for it, and activate it every so often.

#15 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

Well I have seen some TV's returned for analysis that had dead mice in them. It's pretty easy to tell if it was infested prior to shipment if they are melted into a power supply and the PCB is charred.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:04 PM

Dn't know if you care about your ability to get credit in the future or your FICO score. If you credit is bad, already, I might not pay for them.

Then, again, in these days when banks want ANY excuse to deny credit, I'd think twice about ignoring them.

It's your call.

#17 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

I can buy 211's for nothing on ebay, so I would love to just buy one of them and ship to them instead of giving them 225.00.

Please show me where to buy 211s for nothing on ebay. I need some!

You are responsible for the R00........ numbers on your account, so I doubt you can just send them another. If you get a 211 really cheap it is probably a leased unit with a balance owing.

#18 OFFLINE   DishTech6342

DishTech6342

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:22 PM

211's arent good recievers the new 211k is a sweet single tuner HD receiver i have much problems with the 211's when i used to install them now we put in 211k's and its no problems at all :)

spam firewall