Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How Many Of You Are Going To Be A Bit Jealous When E* Starts Adding Channels?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JayPSU

JayPSU

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

Now granted, a lot of the channels will be ones that we already have. However, at that point they will have all the channels we have, and a lot we don't. But besides that, you know what I miss, Festivus days! I miss those days when all of our new channels were lighting up and we "had to" go back into our favorite channel lists to add the new channels. I miss those days and I don't see any in the near future for us.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   studdad

studdad

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

Now granted, a lot of the channels will be ones that we already have. However, at that point they will have all the channels we have, and a lot we don't. But besides that, you know what I miss, Festivus days! I miss those days when all of our new channels were lighting up and we "had to" go back into our favorite channel lists to add the new channels. I miss those days and I don't see any in the near future for us.

When that happens, it will be time to switch. Hell, it's time to switch now, but I don't want to pay the damn early termination fee.

#3 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Personally, there is not much in the list of channels we don't have that I would watch anyway. So a big yawn for me. I know others are waiting disparately for channels though, just not me.

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

I know others are waiting disparately for channels though, just not me.

Desperately really?:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

Big yawn here too. Who cares what E* does you all know they'll be removed just as quickly. See the Smithsonian Channel.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#6 OFFLINE   DarkSkies

DarkSkies

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

So the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? I think not.

#7 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

We have a simple one dish, single wire solution. Technically elegant.

We have a DVR that gets better regularly.

We have almost every sporting event in every geography in HD, including every MLB EI game & and every NFL game in HD.

We have another HD satellite going up in September.

A rosey past, present, and future.

The only "real" competition is FiOS (and it's not everywhere).

And we have the great wealth of all things DirecTV right here at DBSTalk. Just perfect.

All IMHO.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,805 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

Dish Network appears to be getting ready to uplink (to the new satellite going to 129) HD-LIL for my DMA.

Other than that, I'll wait on what DirecTV brings me with D12.

Sucks about the HD-LIL though... I was hoping DirecTV would make it here first as I might have been able to convince some people to switch. Now, unless DirecTV announces it for here shortly, I doubt I will be able to... :(

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

For me it's a no brainer. DirecTv is the only place I can get all the MLB Baseball and NFL Football in HD. I'm not going anyplace.

#10 OFFLINE   JayPSU

JayPSU

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

We're getting killed in the premium movie area and it p!sses me off!! :D
But, yeah, I see what you're saying. Though I must say, I like the ViP722 WAYYYYY more than our HR units.

We have a simple one dish, single wire solution. Technically elegant.

We have a DVR that gets better regularly.

We have almost every sporting event in every geography in HD, including every MLB EI game & and every NFL game in HD.

We have another HD satellite going up in September.

A rosey past, present, and future.

The only "real" competition is FiOS (and it's not everywhere).

All IMHO.

#11 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

We're getting killed in the premium movie area and it p!sses me off!! :D
But, yeah, I see what you're saying. Though I must say, I like the ViP722 WAYYYYY more than our HR units.

Yep, while they probably could easily add 10-15 premium movie channels today, the more practical solution seems to be to add a few non-duplicative channels here and there until D12 launches, and then add all the multiple iterations of movie channels, once bandwidth is more readily available.

For me, no big deal because I just DVR record the important stuff when it's on the main feed. I wonder how much content is really on the multiple movie channels that's not on the main feeds once in a while and can be recorded.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#12 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

We already have a thread talking about new HD channels, etc. So let us continue our discussion there: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=147711

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...