Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local Fox being letterboxed, OTA fine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   uwhumpty

uwhumpty

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSioux City, IA

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

I am currently watching Fringe on Fox 28 in the Cedar Rapids/Waterloo market, and the DirecTV feed is being letterboxed (black bars on all four sides). I remembered that this happened on last weeks episode as well, and decided to check the OTA feed (which I have had turned off since we got our HD locals). The OTA feed is the full 16:9 HD. Anyone else in this market noticing this?
If I remember correctly, this has only been happening for the last couple of weeks. Who should I contact about this, the local Fox station, or DirecTV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   willis134

willis134

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

I have had the same problem. Based on my recordings it started last tuesday (the 27th). Just got off the phone with an engineer at KFXA, He says everything is fine on their end. He has received several calls about it and is working with Directv to fix the problem.

#3 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

The term for black bars on all four sides is commonly called "Windowboxing".
Black bars on the sides is called "Pillar Boxing".
Black bars on the top and bottom is called "Letterboxing".

Just helping you out for future reference. :-)

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,048 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

If I understand this correctly;

Wouldn't this particular window-box be caused by a letterboxing (for whatever reason, accident or otherwise) someplace likely in DirecTV’s signal chain, of the already 16:9 formatted HD picture from KFXA?

#5 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

The way you normally get "windowboxing" is when you have 16:9 program broadcast inside a 4:3 signal (causing letterboxing on a 4:3 display) which is being displayed on a 16:9 TV (which causes pillarboxing) so the aggregate appears to be windowboxed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...