Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would you give up your DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Prince Oz

Prince Oz

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

I heard on a radio program this morning that during these hard times, a poll was taken on what you would give up. Out of 24% of the population in the US that were polled, 80% of them said they would NOT give up there Cell Phone, Internet, or there Sat or Cable TV. If times got tough for you, would you cancell any of these? If I had to, I would give up my Cell and Internet before I would give up my D*.:nono2: What would you give up?
Prince Oz
Living = HR23-700, Sammy LN52A550, BD350, Yamaha 735
Game Room = Dell XPS 630, 360 Elite, Vizio VS32, HR20
Roll Tide Roll

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   redram38

redram38

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMillington Tn

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

I would give up my home phone and probl keep one cell phone. I would give up Directv without even thinking about it. The internet would go to the cheapest service but enough to watch streamed video only if everything else such as gas electric, water, food, home, and ins were taken care of.
Directv with 4 HDDVR's 3 HR24's and one HR21
Dish with Hopper/sling, Hopper/sling adapter and 4 joeys

Directv for 17 years, Dish for 1 month. Loving the Hopper and Primetime anytime so far.

#3 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:27 AM

Whatever it took to make sure that my family was taken care of first and foremost. That would include anything that is not necessary for day to day living ie cellphones,internet, AND directv. As it is, we downgraded our directv service already and only have one receiver active on our account right now. And this is not even in response to any kind of financial hardship.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:28 AM

I would not give up any of them. Would I have to make changes to the lower the bill, probably, but I wouldn't drop them.

#5 OFFLINE   Jasqid

Jasqid

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

I would drop my cell first. Downgrade my D* (cut all the premium channels... currently have HBO Starz and Show) second. I would not however, cut my comcast HSI. I would cancel TV service first before I would drop HSI. HSI just provides too much. The information and services I can get through HSI has more value to me.

=================================
HR44-500 (HDMI) -> Samsung 56" DLP (HL56A650)
C41 (HDMI) -> LG 42" & GenieGo2

#6 OFFLINE   Prince Oz

Prince Oz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

Whatever it took to make sure that my family was taken care of first and foremost. That would include anything that is not necessary for day to day living ie cellphones,internet, AND directv.

I agree that family comes first and always will. Our 1 perk is that we enjoy watching TV every night after we get home from work. If it came down to losing something, I would then suspend my D*. But as long as I can just make it by, I will keep the 1 perk that the family enjoys.
Prince Oz
Living = HR23-700, Sammy LN52A550, BD350, Yamaha 735
Game Room = Dell XPS 630, 360 Elite, Vizio VS32, HR20
Roll Tide Roll

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

If things were bad enough, of course. That being said, it would be an unhappy day in the Shadow home.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

If things were bad enough, of course. That being said, it would be an unhappy day in the Shadow home.

Same here.

I would adjust packages first if needed, then considering dropping only if I really had to.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

Could I be forced at some level of lack of monies? Absolutely. Way down on the list, but it must be considered.

Of course, I'd cut back as far as possible first.

I'd beg for extensions of every payment from everyone else.

I'd wait until Monk was over. *snif*

And I'd have to replace our DVRs with a PC since all the VCRs are dead.

Thankfully I will have an answer before that all happens. I have faith. (Which is about all I can say about said faith.) :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,028 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

Already have made changes, dropped two monthly cell phone plans to pay-as-you-go plans. Dropped a backup internet connection for the wifes work-at-home and changed to TWC phone service from AT&T POTS. If more is needed I'll cut back on the internet speed, will learn to slow down, and maybe reduce programming package on D* but unless things really go to poop I won't be cancelling it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

I agree that family comes first and always will. Our 1 perk is that we enjoy watching TV every night after we get home from work. If it came down to losing something, I would then suspend my D*. But as long as I can just make it by, I will keep the 1 perk that the family enjoys.

And like you as long as we can get by things wont change if it can be helped.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#12 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

We're considering dropping pay TV anyway...it's not so much the money as the quality. There are also so many other choices for entertainment available between OTA, The internet, and the library/bookstore.

I think many people think they'd miss it more than they would after a couple of weeks. As Mr. Baldwin was so quick to remind us during the Super Bowl...there are other sources for turning our brains to oatmeal.

I received a Kindle as a present...what a great device...makes carrying books wherever you go easy.

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

The only thing that is keeping me with DirecTV is my mother. If she says, "We can do without DirecTV/cable", I would be very quickly on the phone canceling the service. I still have plenty of DVDs to watch. plus backlogged material on the DirecTiVo.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#14 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

I wouldn't give up any of them. We have stopped going out to eat so much. That saved us tons of money.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#15 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

We're considering dropping pay TV anyway...it's not so much the money as the quality. There are also so many other choices for entertainment available between OTA, The internet, and the library/bookstore.

I think many people think they'd miss it more than they would after a couple of weeks. As Mr. Baldwin was so quick to remind us during the Super Bowl...there are other sources for turning our brains to oatmeal.

I received a Kindle as a present...what a great device...makes carrying books wherever you go easy.

Very true, there are a few that I would really miss though. Discovery channels being the main one, closely followed by some things like USA and FX. You can get those shows online, but the quality is not as good as hulu.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#16 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

24% of the US population was polled for this? :eek2: That's a lot of polling!

I, like others, would cut back other things first, if necessary. Going OTA wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but it would hurt.

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

If it was necessary, sure I’d drop DirecTV.

However, I’d start with reducing the cost of all my services (cell/phone/internet/TV).

If I had to, I would drop cell service first and work from there. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#18 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

If I still had DirecTV it would be among the first things I'd drop. Since I now have FIOS I would have to drop that instead. The two S3 Tivos would follow suit except for the fact that I'm locked into a 3-year commitment on the 2nd unit. The 1st Tivo is already paid up for three years. I rarely use my cell phone so losing it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice.

I get the majority of my TV programming via OTA antenna via my HTPC, which costs me nothing to operate past the initial investment so I'd still have plenty of TV to watch. I'd also drop NetFlix. The internet would have to stay for too many reasons to list. I could easily supplement my lack of a TV provider with shows downloaded off the web, but only if I could find them in HD (which usually isn't a problem if you know where to look;)).
Too much crap to list
(Besides, do you really care what I have?):sure:

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

Another thing to consider are early termination fees. I could give up one cellphone without ETF, but not others.

Similarly I could turn off DIRECTV without ETF, but as I said, I'd hold on to that as long as I could.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#20 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

Another thing to consider are early termination fees. I could give up one cellphone without ETF, but not others.

Similarly I could turn off DIRECTV without ETF, but as I said, I'd hold on to that as long as I could.

That's where I'm at. I'm still under commitment and can't really cut my package back any since I only have 1 hd dvr and choice but if I had to I'd cut it. I'd suspend it for as long as I could first tho.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...