Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

All HD package (what are the chances?)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

So what do you guys think the chances are of an all HD package from DirecTV in 2009? I used to balk at the idea, because my viewing habits are closely tied to content, not HD. However, I'm increasingly staying away from the few SD programs I did watch and most of my stuff is HD anyway... I was waiting on Southpark in HD on COMHD, so I'm happy about that...

If DirecTV had an all HD package, I'd sign a new 2 year commitment and pay for it all up front. :) That was never a possibility when I had Dish... they don't have Comedy HD and didn't have FBN or FNC HD at the time.

I know this is purely speculative, but a guy can hope, right? :)
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

I would highly doubt it. It's only about $10 more for the top non premium package from DirecTV which includes HD over the top Dish HD only package. And as you step down in package again it's not a big difference. So to be honest I personally don't think it's worth it. The Dish "Turbo HD" is more marketing then actual worth to most people. Sure, some find it great and they like to save 10 bucks. But for the average person they won't find it worth it when they still watch some programs on SD channels.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,837 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

The pricing model seems very heavily weighted on the SD portion of the monthly subscription. DIRECTV would need to do some serious restructuring of the pricing model to allow for HD users to ever pay for what they are getting.

Consider what the HD subs are getting versus what the SD subs get in terms of hardware, software and bandwidth and you'll likely agree that the SD subs are getting bent over to subsidize the HD subs:

The cost of the HD hardware is about double that of the SD hardware yet the lease fee is the same for all.

The bandwidth required to cast 100 HD channels is about 2-2.5 times that required to cast 250 SD channels. A HD Access subscriber with the Premiere package is paying ten dollars more for more than double the bandwidth just for the HD portion.

People complain about various fees, but without more of a pay-as-you-go approach in terms of both hardware and programming, I don't think DIRECTV could swing an HD only package.

#4 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:12 AM

The biggest advantage to Dish Network for HD-only packages is that they can advertise them as "All HD," which makes it sound like every channel on Dish is HD until you look into it.

I'm not saying that's any more or less misleading than HD channel counts that everyone does, but it is misleading.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#5 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys. I guess I hadn't thought that through very well. I did the math, and I pay about $15 more than Turbo HD's top package (to which I would subscribe, given the channel lineup I prefer) for all SD channels and several HD channels that Dish doesn't carry (Speed, Spike, my local Fox affiliate and Smithsonian HD). The only thing I miss is Travel HD, which I can live without. So, I didn't make such a bad decision by switching after all.

#6 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:53 AM

DirecTV's HD lineup is getting close to complete enough for my purposes where I would probably subscribe to an all HD package if it were offered. Hey, even if it only saved 10 or 15 bucks a month I'd take it.

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

Also keep in mind that Dish is raising the rates on those HD package by $10 bucks so if you just did a comparison and it's $15 cheaper then it will be only $5 cheaper after the rates go up. Now with the DirecTV $3 increase that means you'd save $8 for a lot less channels.

Could be worth it for some.

#8 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

It really seems useless when you figure how many people do not have all HD sets in their house.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#9 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

At this point, there are several SD channels that I watch on occasion, so until they are in HD, I don't think I'd be interested.

Now, if PBS, AMC, TCM, Travel Channel, Chiller, and a few others went HD, an all-HD package would suit me just fine.

Jeff

#10 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

It really seems useless when you figure how many people do not have all HD sets in their house.

True, but you can always letterbox the 16:9 HD feed on your SD TVs. Not ideal, but it'd work.

Now, if PBS, AMC, TCM, Travel Channel, Chiller, and a few others went HD, an all-HD package would suit me just fine.

On Dish, you still get your locals in SD if they aren't available in HD when you subscribe to an all-HD package. So, PBS isn't an issue for Dish users. I sure hope I get PBS in HD soon.

#11 OFFLINE   Satsince1978

Satsince1978

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

I had a problem and got up to a lady who said she was from the office of the president of DirecTV and she said "If enough people would ask for a HD ONLY PACKAGE they would consider it but right now not to many were asking" SO PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL AND ASK!

#12 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

I know a Dish user who is ok with their HD only package but every now and then there is program on a channel that Dish doesn't carry in HD. I would guess when D12 is launched and is broadcasting that about all the major channels will be in HD on DirecTV.
my setup here

#13 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

Dish is desperate for subscribers, so they'll do anything they can to get them. DirecTV isn't desperate, so they don't need to offer a gimmicky HD-only package.

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

Do the math on the cost per channel for HD only packages and tell me it's still a good deal.

#15 OFFLINE   ht2

ht2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

DirecTV's HD lineup is getting close to complete enough for my purposes where I would probably subscribe to an all HD package if it were offered. Hey, even if it only saved 10 or 15 bucks a month I'd take it.

+1.

HD package is not gimmick.
More options is always better. If you don't like it pick other option.

#16 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:46 AM

HD package is not gimmick.
More options is always better. If you don't like it pick other option.

It is absolutely a gimmick. The fact that you want it doesn't change that.

#17 OFFLINE   rustynails

rustynails

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:46 AM

I think our chances of getting an all HD package is as likely as us getting DLB!

#18 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:46 AM

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it'll happen. I just think it would be cool if it did happen. It's absolutely a gimmick. If there were cable options back when TV switched from B&W to color I'd liken it to a provider offering an "all color" package. It will only be relevant for a few years while content providers make the switch and consumers switch to the new technology.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,837 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

It is absolutely a gimmick.

It is no more a gimmick than a family or foreign language package. An all HD package would offer a subset of programming for some fraction of the price of what the SD + HD equivalent would cost.

Maybe if they called it the "Better Than VHS Quality" package?

#20 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

They call all of these packages....because its about packaging (to the market).

An HD-only package on DirecTV....I suspect not...at least not in that form or by that name.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

spam firewall