Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

All HD package (what are the chances?)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

Think how much bandwidth they'd need to do that.... it boggles the mind (well.. my mind anyway)....
HarryD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Think how much bandwidth they'd need to do that.... it boggles the mind (well.. my mind anyway)....

They would not necessarily need more bandwidth. It would just be packaging the current HD channels together in a package. Like how Dish is doing it.

My issue is that on Dish for example it does not really save that much money once you add it all up and get out of the promo period.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#23 OFFLINE   Mindhaz

Mindhaz

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

I've been begging for a cheaper alternative to the Family package in all HD for months now.

TurboHD bronze is a good value for those of us who don't watch 200+ channels. It has all the majors and the price is $39.99 (HD, Locals, & DVR included)... I know most of the posters here like a lot of variety and/or sports, but I'm just not that person.

Cheapest alternative to HD Bronze for D* is Family $30 + HD $10 + DVR $6 = $46... and Family is fairly anemic. Plus, I don't have children. To move up to Choice is an extra $22. So moving to Dish will save me about $28 plus tax...

Now they do have some hidden fees... multiple DVRs cost per box... and the HD outlets are more as well. I have 2 HD DVRs and another HD box so I will be spending about $12 in "fees"... so that puts the savings back to $16.

However, I do subscribe to HBO and Starz... and I believe Dish is $3 less. So now I'm back to $20 savings... and Dish has more HBO HD channels.

I don't think D* needs to necesarily offer an all HD pacakge, but there is a big gap between Family and Choice... I've looked at the secret "SELECT" package, but no Sci Fi, which is a deal breaker for me.

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

It will be there later this year...and more important...they might consider taking the approach to remove some SD channels to gain even some more some bandwidth....in any case...nothing on this other than speculation at this point, with no facts.

Personally, this will likely all be a moot point in another 2 years or so when most channels are HD. Right now...there are alot of HD channels.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Personally, this will likely all be a moot point in another 2 years or so when most channels are HD. Right now...there are alot of HD channels.

Agreed. I think it will also help once more of the major channels get HD versions up and running.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#26 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:11 AM

Agreed. I think it will also help once more of the major channels get HD versions up and running.

What major channels aren't already broadcasting in HD?

#27 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

What major channels aren't already broadcasting in HD?

True, most are now. Maybe I should have said Broadcasting and Carried :lol:

Things like:
-Travel Channel
-IFC
-BBCA
-DIY
-Fine Living
-AMC
-E!

Maybe major was the wrong word. I guess I meant just other popular channels that are still only carried in SD. You are right though, most are carried in HD now.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#28 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

True, most are now. Maybe I should have said Broadcasting and Carried :lol:

Things like:
-Travel Channel
-IFC
-BBCA
-DIY
-Fine Living
-AMC
-E!

Maybe major was the wrong word. I guess I meant just other popular channels that are still only carried in SD. You are right though, most are carried in HD now.

I suspect you'll see most of those on DirecTV in HD in 2009. The only questions is when....;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#29 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

I suspect you'll see most of those on DirecTV in HD in 2009. The only questions is when....;)

I predict a few weeks either side of the price increase.

Price increases seem more palatable when more product is also being delivered.

Jeff

#30 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

I hope so :grin:
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#31 OFFLINE   rkr0923

rkr0923

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

maybe 4th q

#32 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

maybe 4th q

Any particular reasoning behind this, or are you just throwing out a random timeframe?

#33 OFFLINE   Galley

Galley

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

South Carolina senator Mike Fair is sponsoring a bill to make a la carte programming the norm. Yeah, good luck with that passing!
http://www.greenvill...002/1004/NEWS01

#34 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

I wonder how long it will take for all the SD channels to go away anyway? At some point there will be very few SD channels left...
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#35 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Any particular reasoning behind this, or are you just throwing out a random timeframe?

It's probably based on the D12 launching late this year. However I would agree it's pretty random at this point.

#36 OFFLINE   JJEdwards

JJEdwards

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

I've been begging for a cheaper alternative to the Family package in all HD for months now.

TurboHD bronze is a good value for those of us who don't watch 200+ channels. It has all the majors and the price is $39.99 (HD, Locals, & DVR included)... I know most of the posters here like a lot of variety and/or sports, but I'm just not that person.

Cheapest alternative to HD Bronze for D* is Family $30 + HD $10 + DVR $6 = $46... and Family is fairly anemic. Plus, I don't have children. To move up to Choice is an extra $22. So moving to Dish will save me about $28 plus tax...

Now they do have some hidden fees... multiple DVRs cost per box... and the HD outlets are more as well. I have 2 HD DVRs and another HD box so I will be spending about $12 in "fees"... so that puts the savings back to $16.

However, I do subscribe to HBO and Starz... and I believe Dish is $3 less. So now I'm back to $20 savings... and Dish has more HBO HD channels.

I don't think D* needs to necesarily offer an all HD pacakge, but there is a big gap between Family and Choice... I've looked at the secret "SELECT" package, but no Sci Fi, which is a deal breaker for me.

I agree with this post. I just don't watch all those channels and I never watch SD channels. My customized favorites are all HD and I don't watch half of them. DirecTV needs a more basic package with DVR and HD channels I want like the ESPN's otherwise I may switch to the TurboHD bronze package with Dish.

spam firewall