Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House passes the DTV Delay Act. Waiting for President Signature

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
152 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,281 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Watch it is going to be the same crap on June alot of people will still not be ready! And what are they going to do? Delay again! It's the same crap when you fill out the taxes the due date is on April and there are still people that don't send it out on April! Do they get a extension for this? Hell NO!!!!:confused:

I just hope when it comes time to debate the next delay that those opposing the delay will remind several of of the supporters of their statement that they would not support any additional delays after this one.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2015 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

They rejected to suspend the rules that would have paid for that bill, but they had a sufficient majority to have passed the bill if it were spending neutral. So this is how the new bill came about.

Cheers,
Tom

That government talk crap makes no sense. This is why I never got into politics or government and hated to learn about it in school. That is all that US History is boring politics. I liked studying other countries history when I was in school.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#28 OFFLINE   rlgold88

rlgold88

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

What is the over and under for the next transition date?

#29 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,771 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

That government talk crap makes no sense. This is why I never got into politics or government and hated to learn about it in school. That is all that US History is boring politics. I liked studying other countries history when I was in school.

I definitely have learned more about civics in the past two weeks than I have in the past 30 years, since my last class in high school. :) Granted, much of what I've learned has been very tiny details that are likely not even covered in most college level classes.

Now, please remember, we can't talk about boring politics. Only government actions without political commentary.

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#30 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,771 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

What is the over and under for the next transition date?

Nearly impossible to describe.

Right now, I'd love to see an over/under on how many transition by February 18. First cut guess by FCC is 61%.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#31 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

I live in Cincinnati but get those Dayton stations. I wonder what the Cincinnati stations will do?

#32 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,679 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

Looks like many of the stations are ready to shut analog down on the original date, anyway. I am sure many more will be off the air before June, just to save the monthly expenditure of running the analog transmitters, for a few last minute procrastinators.

#33 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

I just hope all local stations in my area switch on the 17th anyway.
Cats are the best pets.

#34 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

If many stations are going to switch on 17th anyway then passing this delay is pointless because for the lazy people who are still not ready they still won't get the analog stations. Stations are trying to save money and they really want to turn off their analog because they are wasting money keeping it on.
Cats are the best pets.

#35 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,955 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

Watch it is going to be the same crap on June alot of people will still not be ready! And what are they going to do? Delay again! It's the same crap when you fill out the taxes the due date is on April and there are still people that don't send it out on April! Do they get a extension for this? Hell NO!!!!:confused:

Actually, you have until August (?) 15th to do your taxes. If you owe them money, you have to pay interest with no other penalty. If they owe you, then you just get your refund as calculated.

You do need to file an (automatic) extension but April 15th is not a hard deadline. (And extensions for my state taxes in Maryland are implied...no need to file any paperwork at all.)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#36 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

Wouldn't it be something of all stations switched on Feb 17th.

:hurah::hurah::hurah:

I would hope so but I think about 70% will switch on that date no matter what.
Cats are the best pets.

#37 OFFLINE   rlgold88

rlgold88

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

I just wish the Gov. could make a decision and stick with it instead of voting to delay a decision.

#38 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

These so call deadbeats don't do anything 'til the stuff from the fan hits them in the face.

They don't complain until the power, the phone or the water is cut off.

They will only take action when the TV is cut off.
These are the same people who "prepared" for Katrina by letting the hurricane hit them in the face.

The same people complained when the government paid for their evacuation and saved them from letting another hurricane hit them in the face.

#39 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,771 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

I would hope so but I think about 70% will switch on that date no matter what.

I'm not sure, but it might be tricky to get above 70% without lots of coordination between stations that would otherwise interfere with each other.

And we've heard some stations are in fact making those discussions, promising to transition, freeing dependent stations to change as well. :)

Go Packers!

#40 OFFLINE   ukrobbie

ukrobbie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

These so call deadbeats don't do anything 'til the stuff from the fan hits them in the face.

They don't complain until the power, the phone or the water is cut off.

They will only take action when the TV is cut off.
These are the same people who "prepared" for Katrina by letting the hurricane hit them in the face.

The same people complained when the government paid for their evacuation and saved them from letting another hurricane hit them in the face.

This post is dead on imo, most don't have the courage to tell it like it is!!

#41 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,771 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

That point was, much more politely, made in the House today. Namely, how many more will really be ready if we delay until June 12?

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#42 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Registered
  • 37,060 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Probably none, but even if there is another delay, it will be moot. Let's forecast 61% will turn off Feb. 17th as scheduled. Another 20% will turn off sometime before the hard cutoff. Of the remaining 19%, let's forecast 61% of them (12% of the total) will turn off as scheduled in June, leaving only 7% of stations even willing to extend analog broadcasting.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#43 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,771 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

I just hope all local stations in my area switch on the 17th anyway.

I live in Cincinnati but get those Dayton stations. I wonder what the Cincinnati stations will do?

Rabbitears.com has a very nice and actively updated list of stations and when they are terminating their analog: http://www.rabbitear...fo/termlist.php

Go Packers!

#44 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

That point was, much more politely, made in the House today. Namely, how many more will really be ready if we delay until June 12?

Cheers,
Tom

Very few will be any more prepared than if it were done today.

Over / under on Feb 17: 61% stations will make DTV change <- under

Over under on June 12: 6.5% of population will be unprepared for changeover <- over

#45 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,771 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Very few will be any more prepared than if it were done today.

Over / under on Feb 17: 61% stations will make DTV change <- under

Over under on June 12: 6.5% of population will be unprepared for changeover <- over

I'm sorry, but as I read this you are expecting/bettin' that fewer than 61% of stations will transition by February 17/18? And more than 6.5% will be unready in June?

Go Packers!

#46 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,771 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

Remember, political discussion or political commentary are not permitted at DBStalk.com. You are welcome to talk about the government actions without commentary of political nature.

If you must make political commentary, please feel free to do so at someother site.

Thank you.

Go Packers!

#47 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

So does anyone know a site with quick summary of when each station (by DMA) will switch. The mixed dates is going to be worse for people to figure out than before. I am sure a bunch of people will now delay getting a converter box and then discover that their favorite channels converted to Digital only come Feb 17..
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#48 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,771 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

So does anyone know a site with quick summary of when each station (by DMA) will switch. The mixed dates is going to be worse for people to figure out than before. I am sure a bunch of people will now delay getting a converter box and then discover that their favorite channels converted to Digital only come Feb 17..

Rabbitears seems to be tracking this as well as anyone: http://www.rabbitear...fo/termlist.php

Go Packers!

#49 OFFLINE   ApK

ApK

Icon

• Registered
  • 760 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

I just wish the Gov. could make a decision and stick with it instead of voting to delay a decision.

Blindly march forward no matter what the reality is? No, it's good that in CONCEPT they can review a decision and modify their plans...just it was a bad decision in this case.

They are holding back 95% of the country for a 5% that obviously doesn't watch TV anyway, cuz if they were watching TV, they'd have heard about the transition with enough time to do something about it! :nono:

#50 OFFLINE   sswheeler

sswheeler

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

I think they are having problems finding where the rainy day fund rock in the yard is so people can get issued the coupons to get there DTV converters that they have been talking about for a long time now. I think it's been well over a year now. My opinion, everyone has been well informed about this, if they can't handle the date of Feb 17, then there loss and not for the people that are ready for it.

HR44-700/AM21

C41

HR21-200
R22-100(HD)
H25-100
D12-100

D12-100

H20-100

H20-100
SWM 16
AU9

Exede Internet (Cuz I live in the country and can't get anything else)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...