Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House passes the DTV Delay Act. Waiting for President Signature

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
152 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   neljtorres

neljtorres

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:36 PM

Watch it is going to be the same crap on June alot of people will still not be ready! And what are they going to do? Delay again! It's the same crap when you fill out the taxes the due date is on April and there are still people that don't send it out on April! Do they get a extension for this? Hell NO!!!!:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

Our government sux. House voted to delay the bill. This really ticks me off. It makes no sense. Last week it was rejected and now they decide to try to pass another bill that makes no sense to be allowed and now this one gets passed. We were nagged for two years about the 17th and now it is not going to happen.

Looks like I won't be able to get channels 2 or 13 until now June and E* has no reason to ever carry 13 in HD.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#23 OFFLINE   CopyCat

CopyCat

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

Same idiots that don't let us watch distant networks. They have no idea what they voted for except the party said to do it.
If it an't broke, don't fix it

Slimline Dish w/SWM-5LNB to 8 way splitter.
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-52XBR2
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR21-200 - Component Emerson LCD SLC195EM8
All networked via CAT5 to a Netgear 10/100/1000 Switch connected to a Cisco Linksys E4200 to DSL.

#24 OFFLINE   hdfan1

hdfan1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

The stations in Dayton, Ohio are likely to transition on the original date.

3 of the stations in Dayton have already announced they will be switching at the scheduled date anyway. WHIO (CBS), WKEF (ABC) and WRGT (FOX) are all planning to switch on Feb. 17th anyway. In WHIO's case they will not wait because they have workers scheduled to do work on their transmitter that can't be delayed so while this will be delayed nationally a lot of local stations are going ahead with their original plans.

#25 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:40 PM

Our government sux. House voted to delay the bill. This really ticks me off. It makes no sense. Last week it was rejected and now they decide to try to pass another bill that makes no sense to be allowed and now this one gets passed. We were nagged for two years about the 17th and now it is not going to happen.

Looks like I won't be able to get channels 2 or 13 until now June and E* has no reason to ever carry 13 in HD.

They rejected to suspend the rules that would have paid for that bill, but they had a sufficient majority to have passed the bill if it were spending neutral. So this is how the new bill came about.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#26 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,168 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Watch it is going to be the same crap on June alot of people will still not be ready! And what are they going to do? Delay again! It's the same crap when you fill out the taxes the due date is on April and there are still people that don't send it out on April! Do they get a extension for this? Hell NO!!!!:confused:

I just hope when it comes time to debate the next delay that those opposing the delay will remind several of of the supporters of their statement that they would not support any additional delays after this one.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#27 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

They rejected to suspend the rules that would have paid for that bill, but they had a sufficient majority to have passed the bill if it were spending neutral. So this is how the new bill came about.

Cheers,
Tom

That government talk crap makes no sense. This is why I never got into politics or government and hated to learn about it in school. That is all that US History is boring politics. I liked studying other countries history when I was in school.
Cats are the best pets.

#28 OFFLINE   rlgold88

rlgold88

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

What is the over and under for the next transition date?

#29 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

That government talk crap makes no sense. This is why I never got into politics or government and hated to learn about it in school. That is all that US History is boring politics. I liked studying other countries history when I was in school.

I definitely have learned more about civics in the past two weeks than I have in the past 30 years, since my last class in high school. :) Granted, much of what I've learned has been very tiny details that are likely not even covered in most college level classes.

Now, please remember, we can't talk about boring politics. Only government actions without political commentary.

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#30 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

What is the over and under for the next transition date?

Nearly impossible to describe.

Right now, I'd love to see an over/under on how many transition by February 18. First cut guess by FCC is 61%.

Go Packers!

#31 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

I live in Cincinnati but get those Dayton stations. I wonder what the Cincinnati stations will do?

#32 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,468 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

Looks like many of the stations are ready to shut analog down on the original date, anyway. I am sure many more will be off the air before June, just to save the monthly expenditure of running the analog transmitters, for a few last minute procrastinators.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#33 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

I just hope all local stations in my area switch on the 17th anyway.
Cats are the best pets.

#34 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

If many stations are going to switch on 17th anyway then passing this delay is pointless because for the lazy people who are still not ready they still won't get the analog stations. Stations are trying to save money and they really want to turn off their analog because they are wasting money keeping it on.
Cats are the best pets.

#35 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

Actually, you have until August (?) 15th to do your taxes. If you owe them money, you have to pay interest with no other penalty. If they owe you, then you just get your refund as calculated.

You do need to file an (automatic) extension but April 15th is not a hard deadline. (And extensions for my state taxes in Maryland are implied...no need to file any paperwork at all.)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#36 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

Wouldn't it be something of all stations switched on Feb 17th.

:hurah::hurah::hurah:

I would hope so but I think about 70% will switch on that date no matter what.
Cats are the best pets.

#37 OFFLINE   rlgold88

rlgold88

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

I just wish the Gov. could make a decision and stick with it instead of voting to delay a decision.

#38 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

These so call deadbeats don't do anything 'til the stuff from the fan hits them in the face.

They don't complain until the power, the phone or the water is cut off.

They will only take action when the TV is cut off.
These are the same people who "prepared" for Katrina by letting the hurricane hit them in the face.

The same people complained when the government paid for their evacuation and saved them from letting another hurricane hit them in the face.

#39 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

I would hope so but I think about 70% will switch on that date no matter what.

I'm not sure, but it might be tricky to get above 70% without lots of coordination between stations that would otherwise interfere with each other.

And we've heard some stations are in fact making those discussions, promising to transition, freeing dependent stations to change as well. :)

Go Packers!

#40 OFFLINE   ukrobbie

ukrobbie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

These so call deadbeats don't do anything 'til the stuff from the fan hits them in the face.

They don't complain until the power, the phone or the water is cut off.

They will only take action when the TV is cut off.
These are the same people who "prepared" for Katrina by letting the hurricane hit them in the face.

The same people complained when the government paid for their evacuation and saved them from letting another hurricane hit them in the face.

This post is dead on imo, most don't have the courage to tell it like it is!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...