Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House passes the DTV Delay Act. Waiting for President Signature

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
152 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

That point was, much more politely, made in the House today. Namely, how many more will really be ready if we delay until June 12?

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Probably none, but even if there is another delay, it will be moot. Let's forecast 61% will turn off Feb. 17th as scheduled. Another 20% will turn off sometime before the hard cutoff. Of the remaining 19%, let's forecast 61% of them (12% of the total) will turn off as scheduled in June, leaving only 7% of stations even willing to extend analog broadcasting.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#43 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

I just hope all local stations in my area switch on the 17th anyway.

I live in Cincinnati but get those Dayton stations. I wonder what the Cincinnati stations will do?

Rabbitears.com has a very nice and actively updated list of stations and when they are terminating their analog: http://www.rabbitear...fo/termlist.php

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#44 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

That point was, much more politely, made in the House today. Namely, how many more will really be ready if we delay until June 12?

Cheers,
Tom

Very few will be any more prepared than if it were done today.

Over / under on Feb 17: 61% stations will make DTV change <- under

Over under on June 12: 6.5% of population will be unprepared for changeover <- over

#45 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Very few will be any more prepared than if it were done today.

Over / under on Feb 17: 61% stations will make DTV change <- under

Over under on June 12: 6.5% of population will be unprepared for changeover <- over

I'm sorry, but as I read this you are expecting/bettin' that fewer than 61% of stations will transition by February 17/18? And more than 6.5% will be unready in June?

Go Packers!

#46 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

Remember, political discussion or political commentary are not permitted at DBStalk.com. You are welcome to talk about the government actions without commentary of political nature.

If you must make political commentary, please feel free to do so at someother site.

Thank you.

Go Packers!

#47 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

So does anyone know a site with quick summary of when each station (by DMA) will switch. The mixed dates is going to be worse for people to figure out than before. I am sure a bunch of people will now delay getting a converter box and then discover that their favorite channels converted to Digital only come Feb 17..
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#48 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

So does anyone know a site with quick summary of when each station (by DMA) will switch. The mixed dates is going to be worse for people to figure out than before. I am sure a bunch of people will now delay getting a converter box and then discover that their favorite channels converted to Digital only come Feb 17..

Rabbitears seems to be tracking this as well as anyone: http://www.rabbitear...fo/termlist.php

Go Packers!

#49 OFFLINE   ApK

ApK

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

I just wish the Gov. could make a decision and stick with it instead of voting to delay a decision.

Blindly march forward no matter what the reality is? No, it's good that in CONCEPT they can review a decision and modify their plans...just it was a bad decision in this case.

They are holding back 95% of the country for a 5% that obviously doesn't watch TV anyway, cuz if they were watching TV, they'd have heard about the transition with enough time to do something about it! :nono:

#50 OFFLINE   sswheeler

sswheeler

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

I think they are having problems finding where the rainy day fund rock in the yard is so people can get issued the coupons to get there DTV converters that they have been talking about for a long time now. I think it's been well over a year now. My opinion, everyone has been well informed about this, if they can't handle the date of Feb 17, then there loss and not for the people that are ready for it.

HR44-700/AM21

C41

HR21-200
R22-100(HD)
H25-100
D12-100

D12-100
SWM 16
AU9

Exede Internet (Cuz I live in the country and can't get anything else)

#51 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

Cheers,
Tom

More people will be ready. And they'll have coupons that they can use.
Some will never be ready, mostly because they just don't understand. Some simply aren't smart enough and some has been fed misinformation.

Stations have already applied for a 30 day "nightlight", which is permission to continue broadcasting in analog which will be used to tell people what happened and also for emergencies. So it won't "go dark" on the 17th.

I if were handling it, sometime in October I would have organized something where the analog stations would be nightlighted for 24-48 hours then turned back on again. Of course, D* would have accidentally nightlighted my FOX and NBC affiliates, as D* was still using the analog feeds for those stations at the time. (Actually, for FOX they still are!) But it would be a warning of what was to come and would be something people could understand and then react to.

The current bill is a mess, as some stations will switch anyway and some won't. But it's better than nothing.

#52 OFFLINE   TomMac

TomMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

The stations in Dayton, Ohio are likely to transition on the original date.

WHIO channel 7-CBS, WKEF channel 22-ABC & WRGT channel 45-FOX have stated they will shut down their analog transmitters this month. Hopefully they will not back off and honor the June date.
HR20-700, Sony KLV-S32A10
HR20S-100, Toshiba 20AF44
AT9-Slimline with multiswitch.

#53 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

Our local NBC affiliate has already anounced that they will go digital only on February 18, and will cut off analog at that timeNo, they WILL NOT delay with analog shutoff. It cost them money to keep analog up, and they already have the crew working on the antenna switch for DTV at their main analog antenna.

Those people who won't or can't buy the converter box won't have money to buy anything from their advertisers, anyway.

#54 ONLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,884 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

So, when is the bill signing for this historic bill?

More importantly, if the station has been advertising since last year the February 17th transition date, does it technically qualify for the 30 days?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#55 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

Haven't heard when the signing will be yet.

Everyone in the House was talking as tho any station formerly required to transition on the 17th, could still go on February 17. (Yes, I know, I abused the future past tense by already using formerly, but we know what will happen to make this a true statement...) :)

Go Packers!

#56 OFFLINE   Brent04

Brent04

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

Were did you get the "approximately 60% plan to switch on February 17 if permitted" from? My local NBC station said that only 20% plan on switching on Feb. 17 and that they are going to wait until June.

#57 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Were did you get the "approximately 60% plan to switch on February 17 if permitted" from? My local NBC station said that only 20% plan on switching on Feb. 17 and that they are going to wait until June.

Was quoted by both sides in the House debate this afternoon as coming from the Acting Chair of the FCC. There is quite a long list on Rabbitears, but I haven't counted yet. (Both too lazy and too willing to justify it as things being too much in-flux...[oh wait, would that be redundant?]) :lol:

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#58 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

According to Rabbitears it shows no NYC station switching on the 17th. This sux because right now I can't get channels 2 and 13 and was looking forward to 13 on the 18th.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#59 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

I'm glad this left stations the freedom to go ahead and switch on February 17th. It seems RIDICULOUS to delay it with the February 17th date being so close. I don't know why with all the economic problems in our country that they are wasting their time on discussing this and that silly coupon program.

#60 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

Some wonderfully-informed congresswoman was on the floor of the House today talking about how we need to delay this to June because if we don't, our emergency responders won't be able to talk to each other. Someone else then pointed out how confused she is and basically stated that most of the Congress doesn't know what the hell they're doing/voting on.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...