Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Breaking News: House passes the DTV Delay Act. Waiting for President Signature

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
152 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

That point was, much more politely, made in the House today. Namely, how many more will really be ready if we delay until June 12?

Cheers,
Tom

More people will be ready. And they'll have coupons that they can use.
Some will never be ready, mostly because they just don't understand. Some simply aren't smart enough and some has been fed misinformation.

Stations have already applied for a 30 day "nightlight", which is permission to continue broadcasting in analog which will be used to tell people what happened and also for emergencies. So it won't "go dark" on the 17th.

I if were handling it, sometime in October I would have organized something where the analog stations would be nightlighted for 24-48 hours then turned back on again. Of course, D* would have accidentally nightlighted my FOX and NBC affiliates, as D* was still using the analog feeds for those stations at the time. (Actually, for FOX they still are!) But it would be a warning of what was to come and would be something people could understand and then react to.

The current bill is a mess, as some stations will switch anyway and some won't. But it's better than nothing.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   TomMac

TomMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

The stations in Dayton, Ohio are likely to transition on the original date.

WHIO channel 7-CBS, WKEF channel 22-ABC & WRGT channel 45-FOX have stated they will shut down their analog transmitters this month. Hopefully they will not back off and honor the June date.
HR20-700, Sony KLV-S32A10
HR20S-100, Toshiba 20AF44
AT9-Slimline with multiswitch.

#53 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

Our local NBC affiliate has already anounced that they will go digital only on February 18, and will cut off analog at that timeNo, they WILL NOT delay with analog shutoff. It cost them money to keep analog up, and they already have the crew working on the antenna switch for DTV at their main analog antenna.

Those people who won't or can't buy the converter box won't have money to buy anything from their advertisers, anyway.

#54 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,995 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

So, when is the bill signing for this historic bill?

More importantly, if the station has been advertising since last year the February 17th transition date, does it technically qualify for the 30 days?

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#55 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

Haven't heard when the signing will be yet.

Everyone in the House was talking as tho any station formerly required to transition on the 17th, could still go on February 17. (Yes, I know, I abused the future past tense by already using formerly, but we know what will happen to make this a true statement...) :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#56 OFFLINE   Brent04

Brent04

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

Were did you get the "approximately 60% plan to switch on February 17 if permitted" from? My local NBC station said that only 20% plan on switching on Feb. 17 and that they are going to wait until June.

#57 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Were did you get the "approximately 60% plan to switch on February 17 if permitted" from? My local NBC station said that only 20% plan on switching on Feb. 17 and that they are going to wait until June.

Was quoted by both sides in the House debate this afternoon as coming from the Acting Chair of the FCC. There is quite a long list on Rabbitears, but I haven't counted yet. (Both too lazy and too willing to justify it as things being too much in-flux...[oh wait, would that be redundant?]) :lol:

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#58 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

According to Rabbitears it shows no NYC station switching on the 17th. This sux because right now I can't get channels 2 and 13 and was looking forward to 13 on the 18th.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#59 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

I'm glad this left stations the freedom to go ahead and switch on February 17th. It seems RIDICULOUS to delay it with the February 17th date being so close. I don't know why with all the economic problems in our country that they are wasting their time on discussing this and that silly coupon program.

#60 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

Some wonderfully-informed congresswoman was on the floor of the House today talking about how we need to delay this to June because if we don't, our emergency responders won't be able to talk to each other. Someone else then pointed out how confused she is and basically stated that most of the Congress doesn't know what the hell they're doing/voting on.

#61 OFFLINE   B. Shoe

B. Shoe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

WGEM-TV in Quincy, Illinois, also announced today that it will transition over to digital-only broadcasting on February 17. KHQA, the other station in the market, is expected to make a similar announcement later in the week.

http://www.wgem.com/...y.asp?S=9789464

The PBS affiliate actually already has converted, if I recall.
DirecTV: Xtra / HBO / NFL Sunday Ticket / NBA League Pass
Samsung PN60F5300 60" Plasma HDTV (Component)
Sony BDP-S280 Blu-Ray Player (HDMI)
Google Chromecast Media Device (HDMI)

#62 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

Looked on WNET site but it still shows old information about the 2/17 date. Does not mention the new 6/12 date and does not mention if they will be switching on 2/17 anyways.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#63 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Some wonderfully-informed congresswoman was on the floor of the House today talking about how we need to delay this to June because if we don't, our emergency responders won't be able to talk to each other. Someone else then pointed out how confused she is and basically stated that most of the Congress doesn't know what the hell they're doing/voting on.

The sad thing about this is that NBC will probably pick this statement up and offer a news story supporting her comments.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#64 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

This whole thing is just gonna cause more issues than it will solve, come the 17th. Mr/Mrs analog TV viewer sees the delay announcement and sits back and relaxes, thinking they can again wait till the last possible minute to get ready for the changeover, in June. However, Feb 17th rolls around and THEIR local stations decide to pull the plug on analog anyway. Now they ARE gonna miss out on programming until they can get everything in place to receive digital.

60% of the stations are switching over anyway, so just keep it at the 17th and everyone will know they NEED to be ready on that day, period. Honestly, the people who are not ready for the changeover are most likely people who just kept putting it off till the last minute. Feb/June won't change anything because I bet most will AGAIN wait till the last minute(assuming they can cause their locals didn't switch over already) and be in the same situation, come June.

:nono2: :nono: The minds in Congress still continue to astound me.

#65 OFFLINE   mikep554

mikep554

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

My local Best Buy has a big stack of converter boxes in an isle with a big sign on top. Funny thing is that because of distance and topography, nobody around here can get any network's signals OTA, analog or digital, except for a REALLY snowy/ghosted signal from an independant station out of Bellingham.

I wonder how many unsold converter boxes will be tossed out or sold for $5 around Sept/Oct when corporate stores in no-signal areas realize they aren't ever going to move their back stock of 5000 converter boxes?
View my setup here

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,976 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

Despite Wednesday's vote, WNDU will still go digital Feb. 17

Despite the fact that Congress voted Wednesday to delay the digital transition to June 12, it's still WNDU's plan to go fully digital on February 17th.

Like many stations across the country and this market. We've already filed a 30 day notice with the federal government to turn off our analog signal.

Our legal counsel is keeping up on the situation in Washington.

We'll continue to update you on how Wednesday's vote affects both us, and you.

ALL stations in my market have agreed to go on or before February 17th.
Power to the people! :)

#67 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

So, if 60% of the stations do switch off their analog transmitters on February 17, doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of the delay? People who aren't ready to receive digital won't receive anything.

Worse yet, I may be wrong, but I assume that because the transition was delayed then the move to new channels and higher power for those digital stations not at their final allocations can not occur until June. So those who are ready for the switch, but would benefit from the final transition channel and power allotments, are out of luck until June.

My Mom in Denver is in exactly that situation. She'll lose ABC analog on February 17, but her rabbit ears don't receive the digital ABC signal very well. That will change in June when the digital moves to channel 7. So it's very possible she will lose at least ABC from February to June.

Am I missing something here? Won't this bill make things worse? Seems to me it would be a lot better if we just gone on with it.

#68 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:45 PM

My hope for your mom is that everyone switches in her area so then she's good.

Good luck,
Tom

Go Packers!

#69 OFFLINE   Matman

Matman

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

So, if 60% of the stations do switch off their analog transmitters on February 17, doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of the delay? People who aren't ready to receive digital won't receive anything.

Worse yet, I may be wrong, but I assume that because the transition was delayed then the move to new channels and higher power for those digital stations not at their final allocations can not occur until June. So those who are ready for the switch, but would benefit from the final transition channel and power allotments, are out of luck until June.

My Mom in Denver is in exactly that situation. She'll lose ABC analog on February 17, but her rabbit ears don't receive the digital ABC signal very well. That will change in June when the digital moves to channel 7. So it's very possible she will lose at least ABC from February to June.

Am I missing something here? Won't this bill make things worse? Seems to me it would be a lot better if we just gone on with it.

No, you are excatly right. All this bill does is make things even more confusing for people that didn't get it to begin with. If we are lucky the majority of the stations will switch on their own, the ONLY way the remaining people out there are gonna make the switch is when they have to. Our local best buy has a STACK of those boxes sitting in the entryway on sale for $49.99 or something like that, and they aren't moving any of em......
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci

#70 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

I say we just forget HD altogether. :mad: I knew this would happen!

#71 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

I saw a big stack in my Best Buy (Apex brand) of converter boxs siktting on a pallet. Over half the pallet was empty.

#72 OFFLINE   PicaKing

PicaKing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

Watch it is going to be the same crap on June alot of people will still not be ready! And what are they going to do? Delay again! It's the same crap when you fill out the taxes the due date is on April and there are still people that don't send it out on April! Do they get a extension for this? Hell NO!!!!:confused:

Actually, yes--there is an automatic extension until October if desired
Slimline 5 LNB
HR20-100 attached to Panasonic 42" plasma via HDMI
HR10-250
HR21-700
HR22
D-15
Some really old SD receiver out on the deck

#73 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,995 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

This is what I see from the Sacramento websites:
  • KCRA/KQCA - No countdown, but lists February 17th as the date on the DTV page
  • KVIE - Has June 12th on their DTV page
  • KXTV - Lists February 17th and the coundown clock is showing 13 days
  • KOVR/KMAX - The countdown clock shows 128 days
  • KUVS - Unable to determine from website
  • KSPX - Unable to determine from website
  • KTXL - Lists February 17th, clock is counting down for the 17th
I don't consider any of this official though until I see an actual press release.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#74 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

FCC commissioners release statements re: today's vote

From Acting Chairman Michael Copps:

"I welcome Congressional passage of the DTV Delay Act. It has long been clear to me--and it’s even clearer since I became Acting FCC Chairman two weeks ago--that the country is not prepared to undertake a nationwide transition in twelve days without unacceptably high consumer dislocation. The additional four months provided by the law affords urgently-needed time for a more phased transition, including a consumer-friendly converter box coupon program, stepped-up consumer outreach and support--particularly for vulnerable populations--and dealing with coverage, antenna and reception issues that went too long unaddressed. We’ve got a lot of work to do, but thanks to great leadership in the Senate and House of Representatives, we now have an opportunity to do it better."

From Commissioner Robert McDowell:

“Today, a majority of the directly elected representatives of the American people, the U.S. Congress, has clearly expressed its desire to postpone the deadline for the cessation of analog full-power television broadcasts to June 12, 2009. I look forward to joining my two colleagues, Acting Chairman Copps and Commissioner Adelstein, in quickly implementing the will of the Congress. I know we will do all that we can to minimize the inevitable disruption and confusion this transition will cause. In the meantime, let’s all stay on message: if you need a converter box, get it today and hook it up today and start enjoying the benefits of digital television today."

Source: www.fcc.gov

#75 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Network news coverage of Delay Act passage in House, 2009-02-04:

ABC/Gibson: 18 seconds, 8 minutes in, anchor only, no tease
CBS/Couric: 18 seconds, 11 minutes in, anchor only, no tease
NBC/Williams: 2 minutes, 10 minutes in, teased in opening
PBS/Lehrer: 9 minutes, 45 minutes in, teased in opening

Only PBS mentioned that some stations may turn off analog on the 17th anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...