Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FCC Public Notice regarding DTV Delay

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
242 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

Edit: This was a standard, scheduled open meeting regarding the DTV transition. The DTV Delay Act was not part of the agenda, though the opening statements did discuss the Public Notice regarding the Delay Act's effects upon the Report and Order. The Public Notice highlights start in post 3 below.

The FCC has announced it will have an Open House regarding the DTV Delay Act, Thursday, February 5, 2009.

The Federal Communications Commission will hold an Open Meeting on Thursday, February 5, 2009, which is scheduled to commence at 2:00 p.m. in Room TW-C305, at 445 12th Street, S.W., Washington, D.C.

• The meeting will include presentations and discussion by senior agency officials as well as industry, consumer groups and others involved in the Digital Television Transition.
  • The purpose of the meeting is to educate and inform the Commission and the public about the status and issues involved with the upcoming Digital Television Transition.

Full announcement

This thread will remain closed and serve as an announcement until that meeting starts. Please continue discussing the DTV transition in the other two threads in this forum.

Thanks to Engadgethd.com for catching this.

Cheers,
Tom

Edited by Tom Robertson, 05 February 2009 - 01:57 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

A call to CSPAN indicates this is tentatively scheduled to be covered on CSPAN3 tomorrow with online coverage as well.

Everything is depending upon logistics, I was warned.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

The FCC has published a Public Notice regarding the DTV Delay. Some highlights from a quick reading:
  • Stations must file by February 9 if they plan on keeping their February 17 transition date.
  • Stations might be required to defend their plan if all stations in a market are transitioning and that market has a large group of unprepared households.
  • Stations may not transition between February 18 and March 13.
  • The new date for 30 advance filing is March 14.
  • Stations that have an interim digital channel assignment must stay on that assignment until June 12 (tho there might be a process, didn't read that closely.)

The whole notice is at: http://hraunfoss.fcc.../FCC-09-6A1.pdf

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

Another item of note is that even if stations shut off analog before 6/12, these stations can't operate their post-transition facilities until 6/12 unless they have an approved STA authorizing use of their post-transition configuration at an earlier time. So if some stations want to crank up their digital power post-transition, even if they transition on 2/17 they wouldn't be able to crank up their digital signal until 6/12 unless an approved STA allowed it sooner.

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

Stations that have not transitioned yet but were scheduled transition before February 17, must also file before end of day February 9.

Stations are again encouraged to have some form of nightlight slate or emergency ability continuing.

And there are more requirements for crawls and PSAs to clarify a stations exact plans relating to February 17 or June 12.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#6 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

In
addition to the viewer notifications required by the Third DTV Periodic Report and Order,
stations terminating on February 17 are required, as a condition of the waiver and if technically
feasible, to broadcast a crawl on their analog channel regarding the station’s termination of
analog service, for the seven day period from February 10 (11:59 p.m. EST) through the
termination of the station’s analog signal on February 17 (11:59 p.m. EST). For the first five
days, i.e., February 10 (11:59 p.m. EST) through February 14 (11:59 p.m. EST), the crawl must
be aired for 5 minutes of every hour of the station’s analog broadcast day, including during
primetime.15 For the final two days, i.e., February 16 (11:59 p.m. EST) through February 17
(11:59 p.m. EST), the crawl must be aired for 10 minutes of every hour of the station’s analog
broadcast day, including during primetime. We recognize that some stations may lack the
technical capability to air crawls and will require such stations to instead air information about
the station’s termination of analog service on February 17 in an alternative format for a
comparable duration.

This will get annoying for viewers of the analog signals for the stations that are trasitioning on the 17th.

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

This will get annoying for viewers of the analog signals for the stations that are trasitioning on the 17th.

If they are lucky, they will only see it on the analog feed and not the digital.

Go Packers!

#8 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

We remind stations that if they terminate their analog service prior to the June 12
transition date, they may operate only a digital facility that is approved for pre-transition
service.20 Stations that want to begin operating prior to the transition date on a post-transition
digital facility that differs from their pre-transition facility must first file a request for digital
Special Temporary Authority (STA) to seek Commission approval for an early transition.21
Pursuant to the Third DTV Periodic Report and Order, a station may request permission to
operate its post-transition facility before the transition deadline, provided it demonstrates that it
will (1) not cause impermissible interference to any authorized analog or pre-transition digital
stations; (2) maintain at least its current digital service; and (3) commence full, authorized posttransition
operations on the transition deadline.22 Stations requesting such approval must also
indicate whether such early operation would result in loss of their own analog or digital service.23
Therefore, in anticipation of a transition date change, a station with a post-transition construction
permit containing a condition prohibiting use of the post-transition facility until February 18,
2009 will now be prohibited from using its post-transition facility until June 13, 2009, unless
approved by the Commission, as permitted by the Third DTV Periodic Report and Order.

What happens to the stations that are leasing thier pre tration digital equipment and they have other post digital equipment to be used on thier old analog channel? How are they going to do with the leases if they are up on the 18th?

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

I presume extend the lease.

Go Packers!

#10 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

As of March 14, 2009, which date is 90 days before the new statutory transition deadline
of June 12, 2009, the streamlined notification procedures in the Third DTV Periodic Report and
Order apply for stations planning to terminate analog service on a date 90 days before the
transition date.30 Accordingly, for analog terminations on or after March 14, stations must notify
the Commission at least 30 days prior to the termination date and provide viewer notifications
for at least 30 days prior to their termination of analog service.31 Except in the case of
equipment failure, the Commission will not permit stations to terminate analog service with less
than 30 days notice to the Commission and the stations’ viewers. Of course, the Commission
reserves the right to amend these rules and procedures, if necessary, to carry out the purposes of
the DTV Delay Act.32

So if thier analog equipment dies they have to fix it?

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

Equipment failure was the exception, which "should" allow them to transition earlier with less warning.

Go Packers!

#12 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

First, we will permit stations that have previously terminated analog service to request
permission to resume analog broadcasting. Stations that have already terminated their analog
service and desire to resume analog broadcasting must file a request for STA so that the
Commission can determine if impermissible interference would be caused by the station’s
resumption of analog service and must provide the new date that they intend to terminate analog
broadcasting if it is other than June 12, 2009.35 Stations that have already terminated their
analog service and do not wish to resume analog broadcasting are not required to notify the
Commission.

Why in the hell would a station want to turn thier analog signal back on if its already off?

#13 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

[*]Stations that have an interim digital channel assignment must stay on that assignment until June 12 (tho there might be a process, didn't read that closely.)

Cheers,
Tom

So basically my CBS got a crappy interim VHF 2 assignment and is supposed to get my NBC's old analog VHF 8 assignment. So even if my NBC dumps analog early my CBS will be barred from using Digital 8 until June 12th? Well that sucks! :nono2:

#14 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,296 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

I presume extend the lease.

Or file a STA, as many have already done, explaining the problem. The wheels are in motion. "We are financially unable to continue analog beyond February 17th" is a common theme in the ad hoc STAs filed so far. Expect to see that alot.

It looks like the FCC will investigate markets that will be going all digital to make sure public interest needs are met. Expect to see "xx% of the population of our coverage area are covered by LP stations that can provide emergency information" explainations. Expect to see "xx% of our market is ready" for those markets closer to 99% than 85% (the statistics varied in the Nielson report per market). Expect to see station lawyers in DC earning their fees. :D

#15 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

So basically my CBS got a crappy interim VHF 2 assignment and is supposed to get my NBC's old analog VHF 8 assignment. So even if my NBC dumps analog early my CBS will be barred from using Digital 8 until June 12th? Well that sucks! :nono2:

Hopefully in that case, your CBS could get an approved STA to move to digital 8 once NBC's analog 8 is off-the-air. But absent that, yeah, it sounds like they'd be stuck on 2 until 6/12.

#16 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

• Stations that have an interim digital channel assignment must stay on that assignment until June 12 (tho there might be a process, didn't read that closely.)

I wonder if that also applies to stations that are on an interim digitial channel and would be moving back to their analog channel? If yes that could mess up a lot of scheduling if hardware needs to be replaced. I know our local FOX station needed to do antenna work when they moved back, I wonder if their contracts with those firms have penalty clauses in them if the work gets deferred. I can see this costing stations a ton of money.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#17 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

I wonder if that also applies to stations that are on an interim digitial channel and would be moving back to their analog channel? If yes that could mess up a lot of scheduling if hardware needs to be replaced. I know our local FOX station needed to do antenna work when they moved back, I wonder if their contracts with those firms have penalty clauses in them if the work gets deferred. I can see this costing stations a ton of money.

Good question. I didn't read that closely into the legalese.

Go Packers!

#18 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

I could be wrong, but in the case of KTBC, I *suspect* it means they could file to shut off analog channel 7 on 2/17, but they'd still have to remain on digital 56 until 6/12 unless they filed an STA which allowed them to move back to digital 7 sooner.

As it would be a LOT cheaper in terms of electricity to broadcast from 7 instead of 56, you'd think this is something they'd want to get done sooner rather than later.

#19 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

The frustrating part of this whole fiasco is no one has mentioned what happens with stations who are currently receiving interference on their temporary digital channel. They make all the mentions about stations not being able to switch if they'll cause interference, but what about stations that were counting on getting their previous coverage area back that they are missing part of on their temporary digital channel and who because of technical reasons can't turn analog back on? Do they just continue for another 4 months missing part of their viewership and any financial loss that happens because of that?

#20 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,081 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

Interesting as ours has already moved from their temp to their permanent. DISH lost HD locals in the move, but everything else was smooth.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...