Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SD LiLs & Analog OTA shutdown

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gimp

gimp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

When the OTA analog shutdown finally happens, will the DirecTV SD LiLs be turned off, or will they be replaced with the HD versions? If they are shut off, doesn't that mean more space for potentially more national HD channels???

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

The SD channels will remain to service the millions of SD-only receivers out there. However, they will be fed by the digital channels not the analog ones.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

All (or nearly all) of the SD LILs are already using the digital signals from the stations. Here is the conversion schedule: http://mstv.org/docs/satschedalpha.pdf. I recall seeing that Directv kept the analog feed on a few stations (mainly PBS) which hadn't yet upgraded their digital signal to mirror analog programming. The SD signals are typically center-cut versions of the HD broadcasts, but some are apparently letterboxed.

#4 OFFLINE   gimp

gimp

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

Thanks everyone!

#5 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

Since it is digital until it gets to DirecTV, would it be safe to assume that these SD feeds from D* will be higher quality than the current, analog-fed SD feeds?
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:55 AM

It depends how they are encoded and sent to the satellite. If they use the same encoders the quality should be the same.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

When the OTA analog shutdown finally happens, will the DirecTV SD LiLs be turned off, or will they be replaced with the HD versions? If they are shut off, doesn't that mean more space for potentially more national HD channels???

Since DirecTV has been digital don't think you should see a difference.If you are and I am too.It's a downrezzed MPEG2 HD channel.The colors are deeper the picture and faces have a little more definition.It's definitely a better looking SD picture.Don't know if it's DirecTV's doing or the station but I like it!.:)

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Since it is digital until it gets to DirecTV, would it be safe to assume that these SD feeds from D* will be higher quality than the current, analog-fed SD feeds?

I noticed some improvements--mainly less ghosting and better color fidelity. You can still see a big difference compared to digital OTA.

#9 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

Also not to nitpick, but most of us that previously had SD locals on 72.5, are/will NOT be getting SD feeds of any locals up in MPEG4 HD. D* will be using ONLY the HD feeds of these stations for SD only viewers, of whom will require all MPEG4 receivers (R22 for DVR's, H2x receivers for non-DVR receivers), which then can downconvert the HD signal in the receiver for an SD TV.

Edited by dishrich, 05 February 2009 - 12:04 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

Also not to nitpick, but most of us that previously had SD locals on 72.5, are/will NOT be getting SD feeds of any locals up in MPEG4 HD. D* will be using ONLY the HD feeds of these stations for SD only viewers, of whom will require all MPEG4 receivers (R22 for DVR's, H2x receivers for non-DVR receivers), which then can downconvert the HD signal in the receiver for an SD TV.

I think we'll see more Mpeg4 only locals markets in the future too. I wouldn't be too surprised to see all new markets DirecTV adds to be Mpeg4 going forward. In those markets I'd expect only 1 version of the channel to be provided as you described. Only the HD if it's available which will be downresed by the receiver as needed or the SD version if that is the only version available.

#11 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

True, the last batch of SD local markets (about 1/2 dozen) were done in MPEG4 SD only, such as Palm Springs, CA. Some of them are now getting ready to "convert" to HD, which will mean the same thing like the 72.5 markets I just described.

There is really no reason for D* to waste sat bandwidth putting up a 2nd copy (SD) of every HD local channel out there, when the end-user's receiver can accomplish the same thing - at least for all new markets &/or ones migrating from 72.5, which has been D*'s gameplan all along. ;)

#12 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

Yup it's part of their slow march towards all mpeg4 equipment and a pretty good way to do it. Markets with out any locals are likely to have much fewer subs so very few legacy receivers to replace.

I'll predict that sports packs like sunday ticket will go mpeg4 only even for SD too. We may even see that as soon as next season.

#13 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

There are some stations that have shut off their analog signals already. In the Portland/Auburn, ME area, our CW and MyNetwork are ONLY broadcasting digitally.

spam firewall