Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Markets that have confirmed they will end full-power analog on 2/18...anyway

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the information. That explains a lot. I had been picking up WRBL up until a few weeks back but no more. Guess we will have to wait until June to see what will change then.

Oddly enough, I still do not pick up WGTV signal from Atlanta even though according to everything I should be.

They moved the digital signal for WGTV to Ch. 8 and they are supposed to crank up the power a little, but I am not picking them up in Hapeville-East Point.

WRBL/WTVM maybe were doing tower maintenance if you could get WRBL at one point. WTVM when they move to Ch. 11 should have a larger coverage area than WRBL.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,206 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

They moved the digital signal for WGTV to Ch. 8 and they are supposed to crank up the power a little, but I am not picking them up in Hapeville-East Point.

WRBL/WTVM maybe were doing tower maintenance if you could get WRBL at one point. WTVM when they move to Ch. 11 should have a larger coverage area than WRBL.

Wife just pointed out to me the fact that Hapeville is near the Airport and if you are not picking up WGTV from there, I never will..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#103 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,466 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

So far, the only Charlotte area station I've found to have converted is PBS station WTVI. On the analog channel, they have a crawl in English and Spanish telling people they either need a converter box, compatible TV or pay TV.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#104 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:42 PM

It looks like MY64 will be the only station in the Cincinnati and Dayton area to go fully digital come Tuesday unless ThinkTV (Channel16) gets a waiver from the FCC to keep analog on.

http://www.daytondai...1309dtvweb.html

It still amazes me that anyone could have been unprepared for this at this stage of the game - especially if you watch TV enough to be calling within minutes or hours of the shutdown:

http://news.cincinna...8/ENT/302180073

#105 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

It still amazes me that anyone could have been unprepared for this at this stage of the game - especially if you watch TV enough to be calling within minutes or hours of the shutdown:

http://news.cincinna...8/ENT/302180073

One good sign from the article:

Lawhead was encouraged that many callers already had purchased converter boxes. TV stations in Cincinnati – and across the country – had been urging viewers to obtain the boxes in public service announcements broadcast for more than a year.

“Most of the people are pretty much aware. It wasn’t a case of ‘why is this happening?’ ” he says.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#106 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobukcat View Post

http://news.cincinna..../ENT/302180073
One good sign from the article:
Quote:
Lawhead was encouraged that many callers already had purchased converter boxes. TV stations in Cincinnati – and across the country – had been urging viewers to obtain the boxes in public service announcements broadcast for more than a year.

“Most of the people are pretty much aware. It wasn’t a case of ‘why is this happening?’ ” he says.
Cheers,
Tom"

Very good sign indeed. Maybe nothing will be done with the June 12 shutdown with results like this.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#107 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

from Information week:

http://www.informati...transition.html

Also the AP

http://tech.yahoo.co...l_tv_transition

here's another one

http://www.tvnewsday...02/19/daily.18/

about 50,000 calls in two days. 300 million people in the US, 2.57 per household 116.7 million households

.04% problem rate ( we wish Vista had done this well)

one poster reports it costs a major station $25,000 per month to maintain that extra UHF signal.

BTW, why aren't all the environmentalists complaining about all the electrical power being wasted by maintaining dual ATSC/NTSC broadcasts?
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#108 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:00 PM

BTW, why aren't all the environmentalists complaining about all the electrical power being wasted by maintaining dual ATSC/NTSC broadcasts?

Probably cause its not simple enough for most of them to understand :P
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#109 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Probably cause its not simple enough for most of them to understand :P

:lol:
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#110 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:27 AM

As of today all stations in my market area are still broadcasting in analog except the 24 hour infomercial station chan 67 in Canton that left the air on Feb 17. Chan 8 WJW in Cleveland said they would leve the air on March 12, they didn't. The following stations are still broadcasting analog:
3-WKYC Cleveland
5-WEWS Cleveland
8-WJW Cleveland
17-WDLI Canton
19-WOIO Cleveland
21-WFMJ Youngstown
23-WPVX Akron
25-WVIZ Cleveland
27-WKBN Youngstown
29-WAOH Kent
35-WAX Cleveland
43-WUAB Cleveland
49-WEAO Akron
55-WBNX Akron
61-WQHS-Cleveland
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#111 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

If it hasn't been posted, all Phoenix full power analog stations are still up. Two low power station went digital, KAZT went early and KTAZ flash cut on 2/17

Protected By... spam firewall...And...