Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox Sports South HD/FSS Alternate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   macon_volfan

macon_volfan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

So, here in Macon FoxSportsSouth is the affiliate for mid-week Raycom SEC basketball game telecasts. Cox Cable here has the games in HD on Wed night, on the standard FSSHD. Yet for DTV customers the standard FSSHD (ch 646) shows national programing (more poker, yea!!....) and relegates the game to a FSSa (Ch 648), in SD!!! :mad:

There is a FSSaHD (648-1) that, I suppose, could show the game in HD, but it only says "To Be Announced," and it's always a black screen.

I guess my question is two-fold:

a) why does DirecTV FSSHD show different programing than Cox Cable FSSHD, and

B) why the HD signal isn't utilized on FSSaHD (648-1)

Any ideas???

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

this game isn't in HD tonight so you're not missing any HD

#3 OFFLINE   macon_volfan

macon_volfan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

I talked to a friend in Knoxville who said that....but last night the hated Cats played (and lost):lol: to MSU, and it was in HD....at least for most people...

#4 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

I talked to a friend in Knoxville who said that....but last night the hated Cats played (and lost):lol: to MSU, and it was in HD....at least for most people...

Some of the Raycom SEC games are HD, some are not.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#5 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

When a game is played featuring a team within your region, the alternate channel (FSSa) will show the game while the standard channel (FSS) will carry on with the national feed so that something can be seen in other areas of the country ineligible for the regional game.

Satellite and local cable companies handle things differently. Your local cable company is basically selecting the game feed and making it available to it's customers on the FSSHD channel. Directv makes all RSN content "available" but has to limit what can be seen based upon ZIP codes.

If the game is not available in HD, then the HD channel on Directv will be black. Cox Cable may have had the Wednesday game on the HD channel, but are you sure the game was actually produced in HD?

Edited by durl, 05 February 2009 - 09:28 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:33 AM

If the game is not available in HD, then the HD channel on Directv will be black. Cox Cable may have had the Wednesday game on the HD channel, but are you sure the game was actually produced in HD?

I can't speak for other regions. However, there have definitely been times here where college games have been produced in HD and shown that way on our local RSN (via cable and/or FIOS), but DirecTV has not shown the HD version on the -1 channel for our RSN. Since I have Sportspack, I have generally (but not always) been able to find and view the HD version from an out-of-market RSN.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#7 OFFLINE   macon_volfan

macon_volfan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

Only prob with that is that the UK/Miss St game on Tuesday WAS in HD, yet the FSSaHD (648-1) was black.

But no, last night's UT win over the Hogs was not in HD.

#8 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

If a network besides the RSN has rights to the game, then Directv won't air it. That doesn't seem to be the case in the examples given above so I'm not sure what might be going on.

spam firewall