Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

After the changeover

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

How will DirecTV handle the SD channels after the changeover to digital? The stations will be dropping their NTSC 4:3 480i analog broadcasting and will be broadcasting an ATSC 16:9 picture in 720p/1080i. How will that affect the carriage rules. Can the stations demand that they be treated as HD channels then and demand payment for them?

Edited by frederic1943, 04 February 2009 - 07:19 PM.

37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   techntrek

techntrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

Don't confuse digital tv broadcasting and HD screen resolution. You need digital to broadcast HD, but you don't need HD on digital (you could broadcast HD on analog, its technically possible but obviously won't ever happen except by ham radio techs). Plenty of SD channels will still exist after the switch to digital.
How do I enable DLB for my life?

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

I suspect that most if not all stations will still have a 4x3 480i/p signal.

A lot of homes still have SDTVs.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

Mike

I agree, we will see lots of 480p out there. What will really suck as I have a feeling we will have to put up with even more Postage letterbox crap too.

#5 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

And it's been delayed again, until June.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#6 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

The offical date has been delayed, lots of Stations are going ahead anyways. We have Fox, NBC, and CBS locally here, that are running adds, telling people that they are going forward, and were to go to BUY a converter.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

Mike

I don't think so, stations aren't going to waste the money or bandwidth on doing this. DirecTV has already cut most of our Austin stations over to the DT channels. When the stations send out a 4:3 picture that's what we get, when they sendout a 16:9 we get a cropped 4:3. For most TV shows they're shot anyway framed for a 4:3 picture. Where it will hurt is movies that would have had a pan & scan verison for the SD channel will now have the 16:9 wide screen version.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

Our CBS has said they're still pulling the plug on 2/17, basically said like any business they need to reduce expenses and the analog transmitter is a $20K/month electric bill they don't need. Our Fox station has also said they're still shutting down on schedule, probably because they're going back to their analog channel and have antenna work already scheduled for the cut over.

I hope the majority of the stations just ignore this and shut down on 2/17, else we'd probably be looking at someone saying the June date needs to be extended again because 1.5 million folks are still too lazy to get a converter.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

I watched a bit of the proceedings on CSPAN today and it looked like the arguments were all along party lines (of course, none of the understood the real issues involved).

#10 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

.... needs to be extended again because 1.5 million folks are still too lazy to get a converter.

You're being too optimistic. Methinks the 6 million+ people who are clueless now after all these years of promoting the digital switch will still be clueless in June or December, 2010 or 2015. They'll be sitting and staring at a screen full of static and think they're watching a snowstorm in Alaska indefinitely.

Edited by l8er, 04 February 2009 - 10:02 PM.

-GA

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

Since this thread has morphed into another "What is the DTV going to look like" thread which is being discussed in three other places, let us continue this discussion there. Most active/current thread is: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=151605

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...