Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Timer Alert: Sarah Connor name change

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

I went to set a timer for the series premiere of Joss Whedon's new series Dollhouse on February 13th and noticed that there was no timer set for the resumption of Sarah Connor Chronicles immediately preceding Dollhouse.

Then I noticed that Tribune's listings (used by Dish Network) had changed tht title of the show to "Connor Chronicles" so it no longer matched "Sarah Connor Chronicles".

So, check your NBR timer for this show, you will probably need to make a new one.

PS This is appropriate to the Forum, as it affects all Dish DVRs, and people will only be helped by the message if it appears in a place where they will see it.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   space86

space86

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

Thank you just updated my timer.

#3 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

Thanks as well. I will check on/change my timer tonight.

#4 OFFLINE   Gruber22

Gruber22

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

I noticed this morning that my 622 took care of this by itself, but I'm not sure how. My timer is not a DISH PASS but just a regular one setup off the EPG for NEW episodes. The timer still says SARA CONNOR CHRONICLES but it setup the 2/13 showing for CONNOR CHRONICLES.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

Be careful! This error may end up getting fixed in the week between now and then, so be prepared to change things back if it does.

#6 OFFLINE   BJK

BJK

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

Just checked my daily schedule and my timer is still good even with the slight name change. I selected the "new episodes" option last year and apparently the partial name match is ok.

BJK
1 ViP622
1 VIP612
Mitsubishi 62" WD-62628 DLP 1080P
Onkyo TX-NR905 AV Receiver
ORB Audio 7.1 channel setup
Dish 1000.2
Dish Network since '98

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

I once had daily recordings of the same program broken up into two groups. The difference? Truibune typed an extra space between the words in the name of the program.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

I noticed this morning that my 622 took care of this by itself, but I'm not sure how. My timer is not a DISH PASS but just a regular one setup off the EPG for NEW episodes. The timer still says SARA CONNOR CHRONICLES but it setup the 2/13 showing for CONNOR CHRONICLES.

Programs also have numbers that you don't see. DISH Pass would use the name but I would expect most DVR events set from the EPG would use the number. Once the program IS recorded the DVR uses the text name (as shown when one renames the programs).

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

Same here with my 722. I didn't expect the receiver to take care of that. Sweet.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#10 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

Be careful! This error may end up getting fixed in the week between now and then, so be prepared to change things back if it does.

In my case, I did not delete the old timer, just added a new one for the new name.

So, if they revert to the old name, it will still record.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#11 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

My 622 handled Connor just fine. But their new time slot created a conflict since 2 other timers were already set for that time. The 622 has not alerted me to that conflict and there is no timer for one of the other programs. So apparently you have to monitor the 622 because it has a mind of its own and will decide what you should watch.

One of the existing timers is set to record a local PBS program every week. The other is set to record only New episodes of a cable channel program. The Connor timer is set to record only New episodes from local HD received via satellite.

#12 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:02 AM

My 622 handled Connor just fine. But their new time slot created a conflict since 2 other timers were already set for that time. The 622 has not alerted me to that conflict and there is no timer for one of the other programs. So apparently you have to monitor the 622 because it has a mind of its own and will decide what you should watch.

One of the existing timers is set to record a local PBS program every week. The other is set to record only New episodes of a cable channel program. The Connor timer is set to record only New episodes from local HD received via satellite.

Are the new episodes of the cable channel show played again later in the evening (or even the next day)? If so, just move Connor to a higher priority then the cable show so the receiver will record Connor first and then the repeat of the new episode will be recorded later that night. This will allow all your shows to record without having to manually mess with timers.

EDIT: According to my SlingGuide. My timer is just fine.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#13 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

Are the new episodes of the cable channel show played again later in the evening (or even the next day)? If so, just move Connor to a higher priority then the cable show so the receiver will record Connor first and then the repeat of the new episode will be recorded later that night. This will allow all your shows to record without having to manually mess with timers.

EDIT: According to my SlingGuide. My timer is just fine.

That's a network program. They typically don't do repeats as the cable channels do.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#14 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

That's a network program. They typically don't do repeats as the cable channels do.

Right. Put Connor on a higher priority then the cable channel show since Connor is a network show that doesn't repeat. The cable channel show, depending on what it is, is more likely to get repeated later in the evening and the DVR will pick up on that and record it at the later time.
Dusto

#15 OFFLINE   BJK

BJK

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

Right. Put Connor on a higher priority then the cable channel show since Connor is a network show that doesn't repeat. The cable channel show, depending on what it is, is more likely to get repeated later in the evening and the DVR will pick up on that and record it at the later time.

Unless he has specified New Episodes on the other timers as well.

BJK
1 ViP622
1 VIP612
Dish 1000.2
Dish Network since '98

#16 OFFLINE   BJK

BJK

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:17 AM

Yep. That's what the priority list is all about.

BJK
1 ViP622
1 VIP612
Dish 1000.2
Dish Network since '98

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

The more you use timers the more you need to monitor their function. I just consider it part of my daily routine to look at what is scheduled and what is skipped, and adjust priorities when needed.

SlingGuide makes that real easy because it has the CONFLICTS selection that lists programs that will not record because of a conflict. The normal skipped display has to be read to see if the program is skipped as a duplicate, old or a conflict.

#18 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:51 AM

The more you use timers the more you need to monitor their function. I just consider it part of my daily routine to look at what is scheduled and what is skipped, and adjust priorities when needed.

SlingGuide makes that real easy because it has the CONFLICTS selection that lists programs that will not record because of a conflict. The normal skipped display has to be read to see if the program is skipped as a duplicate, old or a conflict.

:up::up: I was going to suggest that too. I look at my upcoming schedule to once a week to make sure nothing is missed and adjust fire appropriately.
Dusto

#19 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

Okay, I forgot about Priorities. I don't think I set any priorities myself but Connor might default to a higher priority because it's a network channel (???). The cable program is rebroadcast at 9:00 but doesn't show any timer there either. I'll have to check but I think the cable channel only labels the original broadcast as New. I'll play with priority settings to see if I can get it to automatically move the timer to 9:00 airing.

With both Connor and the cable show being the type that air for 10 to 13 weeks and then disappear for a few weeks or months, I've been specifying New so I don't miss an episode when they return to the air after a hiatus. Worked great until this scheduling conflict came up.

#20 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

So, check your NBR timer for this show, you will probably need to make a new one. ...

Actually, there is no need to do this. "NBR" actually does not compare the wording/spelling in the "N" - it relies on a coded identifier.

Take no action and you will not miss an episode of Connor. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...