Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Timer Alert: Sarah Connor name change

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

:up::up: I was going to suggest that too. I look at my upcoming schedule to once a week to make sure nothing is missed and adjust fire appropriately.

Insufficient.

I had a timer set at the bottom of the Priority list to record anything with "Bjork" in the info, so I could catch live performances on Letterman, etc.

This required some maintenance as there are tennis players who come up on Tennis channel and so on.

Meanwhile, since DishDVR puts the new timers on the bottom, the Bjork timer crept up the Priority List.

A few days ago, Tribune added a listing hours before the event, with someone named "Bjorkland" which ended up taking priority over a daily news timer - nothing crucial - but I ended up with something I did not want, instead of something I would have casually watched, and the change occurred only hours before the timer event.

The same not-recording-due-to-priority-by-mistake can occur due to "New Episodes" timers being triggered by a Tribune Listing with no date (such as the Good Eats episode "Three Cookies for Martha" which is constantly recorded by my New Episodes timer).
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

Actually, there is no need to do this. "NBR" actually does not compare the wording/spelling in the "N" - it relies on a coded identifier.

Take no action and you will not miss an episode of Connor. :)

How can it do that if the timer is created before the program has ever occurred in the Listings ?? :D

This thread is not about hypotheticals.

I am looking right now at a "Sarah Connor Chronicles" All Channels New Episodes timer with no future events listed, the same timer that recorded all previous shown episodes.

I now have created a "Connor Chronicls" timer which has a future event on Fri 2/13.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)

#23 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

Insufficient.

I had a timer set at the bottom of the Priority list to record anything with "Bjork" in the info, so I could catch live performances on Letterman, etc.

This required some maintenance as there are tennis players who come up on Tennis channel and so on.

Meanwhile, since DishDVR puts the new timers on the bottom, the Bjork timer crept up the Priority List.

A few days ago, Tribune added a listing hours before the event, with someone named "Bjorkland" which ended up taking priority over a daily news timer - nothing crucial - but I ended up with something I did not want, instead of something I would have casually watched, and the change occurred only hours before the timer event.

The same not-recording-due-to-priority-by-mistake can occur due to "New Episodes" timers being triggered by a Tribune Listing with no date (such as the Good Eats episode "Three Cookies for Martha" which is constantly recorded by my New Episodes timer).

Well that's one flaw with the system. You're at the mercy of whoever provides the guide information to be accurate. I never create any timers manually, I always use the guide and about 90% of the time, everything works without a hitch. The SlingGuide says my record of Connor is going to happen, but I'll keep an eye on it come Thursday.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#24 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

How can it do that if the timer is created before the program has ever occurred in the Listings ?? :D

Hey bud, if it is created before the timer appears in the guide it obviously is a Dish Pass. Of course, that searches on strings within the Title or in the body of the guide entry.

When you create a recurring timer it does not search for strings or exact matches, but rather when you create the timer it looks for a coded identifier for the show and uses that to identify all episodes. My recurring "New" Timer for the show in question functioned as it is supposed to and the re-named show is going to be recorded even tho the name no longer matches the name in my list of timers.

Instead of saying something you clearly do not understand is "hypothetical" you should maybe do some homework before posting so as to not lull some people into thinking you know what you are talking about. :rolleyes:

#25 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

I am looking right now at a "Sarah Connor Chronicles" All Channels New Episodes timer with no future events listed, the same timer that recorded all previous shown episodes.

I now have created a "Connor Chronicls" timer which has a future event on Fri 2/13.

Saltidawg is correct. When you setup a NBR recording from the guide it's not using the guide name, but rather a unique ID assigned to that show, that is not visible in the Dish Guide. If the actual name of the show changes but the show ID does not it will still record.

My Sarah Connor Chronicles timer is still set to record the new episode next week, even though the name changed.

The same goes for all my ABC affiliate timers right now on OTA. They are still recording even though Dish has changed the guide name and info to plug the fact that the station is no longer available from Dish. So, I end up with a folder full of shows called 'Important Information', when really they are Lost, Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy, etc ...

The only reason I think of that yours had to be recreated is because it was a DISHPass recording where you didn't use the guide to setup a recording but rather typed in a name to search for and then record. These types of timers would definitely need to be recreated in the event of a name change that causes that pattern match to fail.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#26 OFFLINE   bartendress

bartendress

Godfather

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

Hey bud, if it is created before the timer appears in the guide it obviously is a Dish Pass. Of course, that searches on strings within the Title or in the body of the guide entry.

When you create a recurring timer it does not search for strings or exact matches, but rather when you create the timer it looks for a coded identifier for the show and uses that to identify all episodes. My recurring "New" Timer for the show in question functioned as it is supposed to and the re-named show is going to be recorded even tho the name no longer matches the name in my list of timers.

Instead of saying something you clearly do not understand is "hypothetical" you should maybe do some homework before posting so as to not lull some people into thinking you know what you are talking about. :rolleyes:

IAWTC- And I thank the OP for pointing out the potential conflict. Some folks will benefit from checking their timers.
"Some people are like Slinkys.
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face
when you push them down a flight of stairs." -Anon.

#27 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

Unless he has specified New Episodes on the other timers as well.

BJK

If you skip a New Episodes timer, it will pick up the next occurrence, at least that's been my experience.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#28 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

Saltidawg is correct. When you setup a NBR recording from the guide it's not using the guide name, but rather a unique ID assigned to that show, that is not visible in the Dish Guide. If the actual name of the show changes but the show ID does not it will still record.

" When you setup a Name Based Recording recording (sic) from the guide it's not using the guide name... "

:rolleyes:

The only reason I think of that yours had to be recreated is because it was a DISHPass recording where you didn't use the guide to setup a recording but rather typed in a name to search for and then record. These types of timers would definitely need to be recreated in the event of a name change that causes that pattern match to fail.

In other words a Name Based Recording that is based on the name would fail, which is what I was saying from the beginning.

PS When I posted the OP, it was unclear whether the ID had also changed in addition to the Name.

#29 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

" When you setup a Name Based Recording recording (sic) from the guide it's not using the guide name... "

:rolleyes:

In other words a Name Based Recording that is based on the name would fail, which is what I was saying from the beginning. ..

Your :rolleyes: not withstanding, you still don't get it. If you set up a recurring NBR it will not fail if the name is changed by the service. This is because a recurring NBR such as "new," "All," or "Weekly" indeed does not rely on the "name" typed in the box, as has been explained, but rather on a coded identifier.

If you perform a "Search" or use a Dish Pass to "Search" for listings it does search on text strings within the title, and thus one might expect to drop a listing were the service to change the name of the show.

Hope you get it now. :rolleyes:

Bye.

#30 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

This is because a recurring NBR such as "new," "All," or "Weekly" indeed does not rely on the "name" typed in the box, as has been explained, but rather on a coded identifier.

" This is because a recurring Name Based Recording ... does not rely on the "name"..." meaning that is it is not based on the name. :rolleyes:

You are not really reading my posts.

A Name Based Recording is based on the name.

All you are saying is that when you click on a program in the Guide, it creates a timer that is not NBR, but is instead based on the ID.

In the spirit of the original post, that is valuable information for the members, but unlike your implications, it doesn't contradict anything I have said.

#31 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

I noticed this morning that my 622 took care of this by itself, but I'm not sure how. My timer is not a DISH PASS but just a regular one setup off the EPG for NEW episodes. The timer still says SARA CONNOR CHRONICLES but it setup the 2/13 showing for CONNOR CHRONICLES.

This is normal and proper for a recurring NBR timer - it does not search on title letter strings.

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

All you are saying is that when you click on a program in the Guide, it creates a timer that is not NBR, but is instead based on the ID.

We have a winner!

In the spirit of the original post, that is valuable information for the members, but unlike your implications, it doesn't contradict anything I have said.

Noticing the change in name it is ALWAYS a good idea to make sure that your timers are functioning from time to time. Thanks for the alert. It will help those who are using true "name based" recordings (DISH Pass). It is also good to note just in case the ID has also changed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...