Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Home Plug Adapters?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DtvSlave

DtvSlave

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

I have been looking on Tigerdirect for some of these adapters but still have some questions after looking at them. None of them say anything about using multipule adapters.

My router and switch is in the basement but I have 2 additional bedrooms on a second floor (of a newly built house) and I don't want to run wires up the siding. Do any of these items allow for one piece to go into the basement with the router then one adapter to go into each upstairs bedroom?

What seems to be the better brand? I have a Linksys router but a D-Link 24 port switch.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jfuchtm

jfuchtm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

I have 4 of the new Linksys 200 Mbs units. They work GREAT!!!!

#3 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

I have the Slinglink Turbo, no issues here. Easy and quick to set up.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

I have been looking on Tigerdirect for some of these adapters but still have some questions after looking at them. None of them say anything about using multipule adapters.

My router and switch is in the basement but I have 2 additional bedrooms on a second floor (of a newly built house) and I don't want to run wires up the siding. Do any of these items allow for one piece to go into the basement with the router then one adapter to go into each upstairs bedroom?

What seems to be the better brand? I have a Linksys router but a D-Link 24 port switch.

that "should" work fine, but what are you going to be using them for?
streaming, web surfing, file transfer???
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#5 OFFLINE   DtvSlave

DtvSlave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

My Daughter has an HR22 in her room along with a computer and my son has just his computer (doesn't watch tv). I wasn't sure if you could run 2 adapters from the one main box or if they would interfer with each other.

#6 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

My Daughter has an HR22 in her room along with a computer and my son has just his computer (doesn't watch tv). I wasn't sure if you could run 2 adapters from the one main box or if they would interfer with each other.

i would say that they would be fine for that. they also make powerline adapters with 2,3,or 4 outlets, for your daughters room.
is your daughter going to be using media share and DoD on her hr22?

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

There is no practical limit on the number of devices on a HomePlug network.

#8 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

You can use multiple homeplug adapters in different rooms and they work. Also DIRECTV offers adapters with a built-in surge protector / power strip.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,937 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

The specs on the TII (OEM supplier for Directv) adapters I have says you can have up to 16 on a network. Of course, the speed will be impacted.

#10 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

The specs on the TII (OEM supplier for Directv) adapters I have says you can have up to 16 on a network. Of course, the speed will be impacted.

i had up too 7 running at one time on my network(directv, computers, ps3,etc)

it was pretty slow, now i dont have any

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

I have Dish equipment... and I have had (told Dish about it as well) some issues with mixing different levels of HomePlug.

The Dish receivers have 1.0 built-in right now for their ViP series... and I had bought a SlingLink Turbo. Works great for my laptop, but many times I would either get no connect with my Dish receivers built-in OR would get maybe 1Mbps.

If I use all HomePlug 1.0 level then my Dish receivers connect more reliably and at higher speeds, but of course my max speed is much lower than with the Turbo adapters.

The "fix" of course is to bypass the built-in Dish HomePlug and use SlingLink Turbo adapters everywhere... but it seemed such a shame not to use the built-in features of the receiver.

That's the only problem I've encountered with HomePlug.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#12 OFFLINE   jfuchtm

jfuchtm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

Actually most have a hard limit. The Linksys I have will do 4 zones with up to 72 homeplugs in each zone.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:17 AM

Actually most have a hard limit. The Linksys I have will do 4 zones with up to 72 homeplugs in each zone.

As I said, no practical limit.

#14 OFFLINE   crashHD

crashHD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:00 PM

I do have whole-house surge protection at the meter.

How does one do that?
If you're not part of the problem, you're part of the solution!

#15 OFFLINE   IndyTim

IndyTim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

How does one do that?

It's a service provided by our electric company, Duke Energy. Nice service when you have a bunch of AV equipment, TV's, and computers. If you should get a surge like from a lightning strike, it shuts down the power at the meter before it gets into your home wiring. It's only a few bucks a month, but offers piece of mind, especially during summer t-storms. BTW, I've had it since moving in 2 years ago and it has never had to shut down.
Great Room:
Vip 722
Vizio 50" Plasma
Oppo DV980H DVD Player
Yamaha RXV-535
RBH SI-760 inwall speakers
Proficient 8" in ceiling surrounds
Velodyne inwall subwoofer

Master:
Vip 222
Vizio 37" LCD
Phillips upconverting DVD player
8" Proficient Inwall stereo speakers

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Moderation note:

I moved most of the discussion about IndyTim's problem to the new thread he created in the Dish 221/222 forum here where it would be more on-topic and gain more exposure to other Dish subscribers who might have more solution options for him.

I have a 722 in the great room with direct phone line access in an av closet, and a 222 in the bedroom that I've had to use a wireless phone jack since it's not near a jack, which never seems to work. I've had tech support on the line about it and they've even replaced my receiver, thinking that might be the problem. So I've had to put up with the $5 monthly charge since it doesn't appear like it's connected. I've also tried to get them to waive it since it's obvious I'm not trying to avoid the charge because my other receiver IS connected.
Anyway, I saw this recent information about Home Plug and that both of these receivers are compatible. So today I went to Fry's and bought a Netgear Bridge, plugged it in, connected it to my router, went to my 722 and set it up, no problem, connected!! Did very same to my 222, no connection. Anyone have any ideas why one works, and the 222 just doesn't seem to want to connect to anything??

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall