Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Transition and DirecTV Receivers with OTA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:08 AM

In my DMA, it looks like OTA stations will not be delaying their analog shutdown except for the PBS channels. They say that Feb 17 is still the date for them. My NBC station will be switching from channel 36 to 12 and my ABC station from 33 to 36.

I do not have HD LIL and rely on the OTA tuner in my HR20-700. I wonder if these channel changes will affect the OTA program guide information?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:21 AM

They're doing the best they can to make sure that doesn't happen.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

I think the delay is going to make DirecTV station updates a mess.

Which is easier?

1) Type in a list of changes, dump into the database at midnight 2/18

2) Type in lots of changes as they happen at random times over 4 months

#4 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

They're doing the best they can to make sure that doesn't happen.

I hope they have no difficulties with channel number changes in their OTA database, especially with this June 12 delay and stations keeping their original Feb 17 schedule. We'll have to wait and see how it goes.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

I hope so too.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

Expect that things are going to be a little choppy on the 17th. It would appear that different stations are transitioning and different times.

Most stations aren't changing the frequency of their digital signals but your mileage may vary.

#7 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Expect that things are going to be a little choppy on the 17th. It would appear that different stations are transitioning and different times.

Most stations aren't changing the frequency of their digital signals but your mileage may vary.

In the Des Moines, IA DMA, 3 of our stations are changing back to VHF from UHF. Of those, one is dropping analog and changing frequency on 17 Feb, the others are going to wait until June 12.

It's a confusing mess for OTA consumers in general, and D*'s track record for updating the OTA channel tables is ...well...pathetic. In our area, at least, we can expect severe problems from the general public, and several days, if not weeks of problems with the HR receivers/AM21s that give OTA service.

The best predictor of future performance is past performance. D*/Tribune/Whomever one can point the finger at have been horrible ...by horrible I mean months and months without correcting the problem.

Now we will have a two stage mess:

1. Feb 17
2. June 12

Go figure.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

In my DMA, it looks like OTA stations will not be delaying their analog shutdown except for the PBS channels. They say that Feb 17 is still the date for them. My NBC station will be switching from channel 36 to 12 and my ABC station from 33 to 36.

I do not have HD LIL and rely on the OTA tuner in my HR20-700. I wonder if these channel changes will affect the OTA program guide information?

We, here in the L.A. DMA that is, were scheduled to have four stations revert to their former analog frequencies after the transition. KABC-TV 7 (ABC), KCAL-TV 9 (IND), KTTV-TV 11 (FOX), and KCOP-TV 13 (MyTV). However, that’s all been put on hold now since the passage of the latest DTV delay.

http://www.latimes.c...1,2787044.story

Also it appears that almost all the other smaller stations in the market will follow suit.

Great…. :(

#9 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

Our CBS affiliate already moved from UHF 47 to their final position at VHF 13.

DirecTV handled it well. SD LIL went off without a hitch, I had to go through the OTA setup again on my HR2x's.

DISH got half of it. SD LIL had no issues, but they lost HD LIL for several days.

DirecTV does not yet have HD LIL here.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

It's a confusing mess for OTA consumers in general, and D*'s track record for updating the OTA channel tables is ...well...pathetic.

Hopefully they are truly committed to the table based tuning and they'll be all over it as it happens.

If they fail, their decision to go table based will be an unqualified catastrophe.

Any delays on the part of individual stations may also complicate the process of moving any receiving equipment around if they must spread it out over four months. Then again, they've got some more time to get direct feeds.

#11 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

I
Now we will have a two stage mess:

1. Feb 17
2. June 12

Go figure.:)

Nah, the mess will extend from Feb 17 to June 12 or thereabouts.
:nono2:
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#12 OFFLINE   Crypter

Crypter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

Boilerjt, have you contacted anyone at KTTC? I tried but they siad the problem was DirecTV's and not theirs... I guess all we can do now is wait. I also rely on my OTA for NBCHD so I know how you feel.

#13 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Boilerjt, have you contacted anyone at KTTC? I tried but they siad the problem was DirecTV's and not theirs... I guess all we can do now is wait. I also rely on my OTA for NBCHD so I know how you feel.

I am getting KTTC-DT on my HR20, but barely. I get the same crappy signal level on my TV. Since I am getting the channel on the HR20, at least this shows that DirecTV is not at fault with 10-1. I am not receiving 10-2 on my HR20, though, but I get it on the TV tuner.

I see the issues as moving from UHF to VHF, especially if you have a UHF only antenna. Also, KTTC moved to another tower (Ostrander) so you may have to reaim the antenna a bit (and risk losing KAAL and KIMT). As for myself, I am going to get a VHF antenna (Winegard YA 1713) to join my CM 4221 in the garage attic.

#14 OFFLINE   Crypter

Crypter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:22 PM

I am getting KTTC-DT on my HR20, but barely. I get the same crappy signal level on my TV. Since I am getting the channel on the HR20, at least this shows that DirecTV is not at fault with 10-1. I am not receiving 10-2 on my HR20, though, but I get it on the TV tuner.

I see the issues as moving from UHF to VHF, especially if you have a UHF only antenna. Also, KTTC moved to another tower (Ostrander) so you may have to reaim the antenna a bit (and risk losing KAAL and KIMT). As for myself, I am going to get a VHF antenna (Winegard YA 1713) to join my CM 4221 in the garage attic.

How do you join an Antenna?

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

Let's keep discussion in the following two threads please:

Issues

Discussion

Thank You.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...