Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

After 13 years with Dish it may be time to switch

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bobby Bearcat

Bobby Bearcat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

After 13 years with Dish, I think I may be moving to Direct. It is pretty obvious that Dish will never carry MLB Network and even though the Dish 622 and 722 I have are top notch units, the lack of HD programming being added is starting to push me away.

Anyone else starting to feel this way? :shrug:
Dish Network Customer Since 1996
Dish HD in all it's glory
Panasonic 58" TH-58PX600U Plasma Television
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Receiver

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spdmonkey

spdmonkey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:28 AM

For me its more on the HD side. I want SPEED HD. Even my local cable company has had it for months. I've been a customer for 13 years as well and if things don't change in 4 or 5 months I will switch to cable and save a ton of cash. I wish I could just fire up my C-Band dish and get it all like the old days, but thats not gonna happen.
DiSH Customer since June 1996 when Arizona and Michigan residents could buy a system for far less then the rest of the U.S. Oh the good ol days.

#3 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

The dish receivers as well as significantly cheaper service for the channels I want pretty much keeps me looking at dish. Their new sat is coming online and more HD is coming. But really there is only two HD channels I want that they don't currently carry.

However all the lawsuits and contract disputes make me nervous and i'm really excited for a Direct TV Tivo receiver in the 2nd half.

#4 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

For the last 2 years, I have been looking at changing to Direct, for the NFL ST. Everytime I play with a HR20 or HR21, Family revolts over the interface and the remote control. The idea of spending all that money for NFL ST, and losing DLB, I can't even sell myself, and then add in a few other features, the Direct DVR's are just lacking.
I am looking forward to the SlingViP922 far more than anything TiVo could make,

Holding judgement on the "lack" of HD channels until after the new Sat is online.
Far to many "So" Called HD stations with NO HD Content at all or stations that Have tons of HD, but recycle every 90 days some times every 30 days, and they grow to stale. Granted a few of the "So" called HD stations after being HD for over a year now, are finally showing some HD Content, but even then its 2-3 hours a day if we are lucky.

Now if Direct can come up with a DVR that works and functions like the ViP series, I may jump over for the NFL ST. But until the User Interface, Remote are fixed, and add DLB, Autotune, Archive, OTA built in, Record this point Forward, and Renaming of events, for starters.

I sure do want NFL ST, and I know DISH will NEVER have it, but need the hardware that supports watching it.

#5 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Nah, switching is a pain and I love the hardware.

I looked at it when they got rid of Gol TV but it wasn't worth it. I just downgraded my subscription and now I feel like I'm penalizing Dish without me going through the upheaval of a provider change. :lol:
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#6 OFFLINE   kkozma

kkozma

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

After 8 years of service, I placed an order for U-Verse today.. I want a whole house DVR and I'm tired of waiting for Dish to get off their butts and enable that feature. That and I don't like a 100% increase in my subscription if I wanted to keep all the HD channels I have now and continue to get new ones.

#7 OFFLINE   plainsman

plainsman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:56 PM

I'm of the same mind - my 'TV' is a front projector capable of a crystal-clear 100" picture -- if I can feed it HD.

And I live in the smallest network market area in the county. Dish won't ever carry its lone station, and they can't offer distant networks. and All American Direct only offers a fuzzy Std Def ... not terribly watchable.

I had been a mover, until dish moved my 'locals' to a spotbeam which I can no longer receive. I can't expect dish to put those stations back on ConUS just for me.

But the 4 networks in HD is a firm requirement - as much as I'll hate giving up the dish DVR for DirecTV's unit, I want ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox in HD. I also want speedHD ....

Currently I'm getting the 'no need to call Dish, we're working to restore this station" screen for the 4 locals ... I wonder what they have in mind ... ?

#8 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

Come to the dark side. :lol: The HR HD DVRs are not as bad as they once were. I've had mine for a few years now. They've come a long way. Plus, DIRECTV will have new TIVO receivers soon. If ya switch over, please bring Travel Channel HD with you. ;)

#9 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

I just switched from Directv. While I liked Directv,Dish was just a much better value for me. The DVRs are years ahead of the HR series IMHO.(though I know some good people are working to change that) NFLST was nice but was way to expensive and for me not worth it anymore. Dish to me offers way more for a lot less. The only thing I miss about Directv is its simplicity.

#10 OFFLINE   slowmoe

slowmoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

I switched from E (7 years of service) a month ago & have no regrets. Number one reason I live in a condo & its hard to receive OTA HD. E does not provide HD local's here in Sin City nor know when they will. Funny how they come here in January pushing their wares. Also its been a month since I returned my Vip622 still no refund , yes I called but got no were. Some here on the forums have said how the picture is better w/ E. I find that to be untrue. I am very pleased with D & my picture. The only grip I do have is the way the channel's are lined up like PPV's in the 100's. But over time I should get used to it. Also my D installer was the best, big difference from E's. But I know those are third party contractor's & its all luck of the draw with who you get. The only channel I wish I did not loose in HD was the Travel channel. But over time I'm thinking D will add it. I give my switch from E a 9.5/10 as far as satisfaction goes.

#11 OFFLINE   IronManCC

IronManCC

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:23 AM

I've also been with Dish for about 13 years now. Back then you got WAY more channels for WAY less than what cable was charging, and it was significantly cheaper than DirecTV. Over the years, from time to time, I've found myself questioning if there were other, better options out there for me; but every time I check and do the math, it always turns out that Dish is *still* the better value. We're in the "HD Revolution" at the moment, and everyone is continually screaming for more channels (...and, usually, also about the higher prices <BG>); but in the end, I think things will even out. All providers will *never* be "equal" - You'll always be able to argue that one provides something the other doesn't, or that one is cheaper than the other, or that one has the better DVR, or whatever - So in the end, each of us has to decide what works best for us. And for some out there, I'm sure they'll *never* be satisfied and will *always* be complaining about something - That's just the way it is. :-)

That being said, does anyone remember when we used to watch a half a dozen or so channels in black & white, some of them laced with a good amount of "snow", and were perfectly satisfied with it? ;-)

#12 OFFLINE   Polardog

Polardog

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

No matter Dish, Direct, cable or whatever.
For me I'd opt out of hundreds of so so channels for 50 good channels. And I'd pay a premium for those 50 channels.
I've been with Dish for about 6 years now. I left Direct for Dish because of lower cost. IMHO theres little difference between the 2 satellite providers, DVR's aside. Exception where programming is concerned is sports. Direct has a better variety from what I've read & heard.
I'm staying with Dish for the near future. However, if cable, Fios or another provider ever makes it into my very rural location I'll consider them. Right now satellite is my only option. Even OTA is no option here. Geogrophy and signal strength results in poor reception.

#13 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:54 AM

I've also been with Dish for about 13 years now. Back then you got WAY more channels for WAY less than what cable was charging, and it was significantly cheaper than DirecTV. Over the years, from time to time, I've found myself questioning if there were other, better options out there for me; but every time I check and do the math, it always turns out that Dish is *still* the better value. We're in the "HD Revolution" at the moment, and everyone is continually screaming for more channels (...and, usually, also about the higher prices <BG>); but in the end, I think things will even out. All providers will *never* be "equal" - You'll always be able to argue that one provides something the other doesn't, or that one is cheaper than the other, or that one has the better DVR, or whatever - So in the end, each of us has to decide what works best for us. And for some out there, I'm sure they'll *never* be satisfied and will *always* be complaining about something - That's just the way it is. :-)

That being said, does anyone remember when we used to watch a half a dozen or so channels in black & white, some of them laced with a good amount of "snow", and were perfectly satisfied with it? ;-)

I certainly recall a time when I was a child that we only had the big 3 and one of those came in so badly you nearly couldn’t tell what you were watching. As a society was are slowly but surely becoming wimps! We whine and complain because our aging eyes demand HD clarity. I must admit I appreciate HD quality transmissions, but I think that there is still so little HD content offered, it is premature to be expecting every channel to be broadcasting it or expect our provider to be supplying it. In time it will come, we just this week got two of the stations that the many were demanding and now we want more. It is a commentary on our societal order and what has lead us for the most part to the financial meltdown, greed; we want it all and now!

I have a friend that has the exact same television that I have, except he has D* and he drools over my 722 and how much better my picture is than his. I honestly can’t tell any difference between the two, but I can say I hate his DVR and would go to U-Verse before I moved to D*. That said, in time we will all get that we what to watch in HD, however, we are merely in the infancy of HD and still cannot get analog turned off and DTV turned on. Being tolerant is a virtue and if you do not see that as many D* subs complaining about their service and costs as much as do about E* then you are truly blind.

#14 OFFLINE   Sat4me

Sat4me

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

Different people have different priorities. For me, I can wait for the HD channels to appear on Dish but I cannot give up the DISH DVRs. No contest between them and Direct. I have experience with both and there is NO contest. Anyone trying to decide between these 2 services should take a real good luck at the functionality of the 2 and that does not even count the reliability factor. The DISH DVRs are way ahead functionally and also ahead in reliability.

#15 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

I just switched from Directv. While I liked Directv,Dish was just a much better value for me. The DVRs are years ahead of the HR series IMHO.(though I know some good people are working to change that) NFLST was nice but was way to expensive and for me not worth it anymore. Dish to me offers way more for a lot less. The only thing I miss about Directv is its simplicity.

No CST on directv:lol:

#16 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

No CST on directv:lol:

:allthumbs Number 1 reason to get Dish(and move to N.O.)without a doubt!:icon_band

#17 OFFLINE   Prince Oz

Prince Oz

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

As a one time E* subscriber and now with D*, heres a news flash. D* HR23-700 HD DVR has now given E* DVR some comp. I actually like it better than the VIP722 I had. I get more for less with D*. Price was one reason I switched back to D*. E* will drop channels with a blink of an eye. That really pissed me off. In the 17 months I was with E*, I bet you they dropped more than 30 HD channels and added new ones that I do not care for. With D*, they don't drop, they just keep adding. That alone besides the cost savings was enough for me to get out of E*.
Prince Oz
Living = HR23-700, Sammy LN52A550, BD350, Yamaha 735
Game Room = Dell XPS 630, 360 Elite, Vizio VS32, HR20
Roll Tide Roll

#18 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:09 PM

...With D*, they don't drop, they just keep adding. That alone besides the cost savings was enough for me to get out of E*.

They keep adding HD channels, but they have only one national HD channel more than Dish and 4 less HD premium channels, hmm.

#19 OFFLINE   Bobby Bearcat

Bobby Bearcat

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for all of the opinions...

It looks like it will cost me about $500 to make the switch, which isn't a big deal if I get what I want.

$240 to cancel my contract with E* and an initial cost of $250 to sign up with D*

The only thing that is really holding me back is the fact that I enjoy having the external hard drive access that my 622 and 722 give me.
Dish Network Customer Since 1996
Dish HD in all it's glory
Panasonic 58" TH-58PX600U Plasma Television
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Receiver

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:51 AM

Bobby... You mention MLB Network. Is that your main driving force. If there is some other HD requirements, you might want to wait into the new bird gets put in place and ess what changes occur then.

Is there other factors that are driving your thoughts?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

spam firewall