Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

After 13 years with Dish it may be time to switch

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

$240 to cancel my contract with E*

Only if you just got Dish yesterday, or just did an upgrade. The ETF is prorated, $10 x # of months remaining on your agreement.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   harmil2

harmil2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

I am waiting to see what HD may be added after ciel 2 fires up and if E will be able to settle dispute with Fisher so I can get ABC back. With D offering ABC, HD PBS, and Comedy Central in HD I am seriously considering switching to D in a couple months to get the HD I like to watch. Yes, I will miss my 622 w/external hdd if I switch, but not that much.

#23 OFFLINE   Bobby Bearcat

Bobby Bearcat

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

Bobby... You mention MLB Network. Is that your main driving force. If there is some other HD requirements, you might want to wait into the new bird gets put in place and ess what changes occur then.

Is there other factors that are driving your thoughts?

MLB Network is a very important channel for me to receive, but it just seems like D* continues to add more channels and E* is not keeping up...

I'm trying to be as patient as possible to see what happens, but I am growing frustrated..
Dish Network Customer Since 1996
Dish HD in all it's glory
Panasonic 58" TH-58PX600U Plasma Television
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Receiver

#24 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for all of the opinions...

It looks like it will cost me about $500 to make the switch, which isn't a big deal if I get what I want.

$240 to cancel my contract with E* and an initial cost of $250 to sign up with D*

The only thing that is really holding me back is the fact that I enjoy having the external hard drive access that my 622 and 722 give me.

Thanks for being honest about the cost. That seem to be something a lot of the D* guys can't do.

#25 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

I switched from E* to D* last February because at the time it didn't look to me that E* was moving quick enough on HD. A side benefit was that after I made my order, D* announced that my locals would be in HD. That was unexpected and darn nice to have. Since then, E* has added some HD, but I still have a couple channels I like that D* has the E* does not.

Out of pocket cost was minimal as I was very near the end. I think it was something less than $30 after credits and such were applied. It cost me $99 to sign up with DirecTV and discounts for the first year. In total, I'll save about $20/month over the length of the contract.

I do miss the 622 as it is much better than the HR21, but they are making improvements. It is still missing DLB and PIP that I would like to have. PQ is different on D vs E, but I don't think one is all that much better than the other.

It is all about content for me. D had what I wanted and still does, E is still missing some pieces of the puzzle for me. If E gets the channels I want, has the locals in HD and has a solution to the weak 129 fixed, I'll consider switching back, but not before.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#26 OFFLINE   mgcsooner

mgcsooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

Re d*--the travel channel is on channel 277 and travel channel on demand is on 1277.
Rec Eq: AT9 | SWM8| (2) HR20-700 | (1) R15-300|OTA Attic Ant Config: Dolby D | | Rem IR RC24| Network : DSL| UPS No| CID Yes| OTA Yes LAN=DLINK DIR 665 802.N Router HR20(#1): Vizio VO47L HDTV (720p 1080i 1080P HDMI&Comp) | Optical>AV Eq LAN brdg(WLI-TX4-G54HP)802-GHR20(#2): Toshiba 50H71 | (Native On 1080P Comp) LAN direct off router R15: Load:NR ZIP:76248 SW Load:Both HR20 0x02d9(Forced)ComputerHPm9400t/nvidiaGEF9500GS/Vista64/atsc-ntsc TV tuner/core2quad2.4/4gb ram- 2MacBook Pro Laptops

#27 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

I'm pretty sure both providers have their quirks and strengths. Make it easy on your wallet, Bobby ... the two are so close (moving targets, to be sure) that it may not be worth the $$$ involved.

I subscribe to E* - have for years - and have grown accustomed to their "style": slow HD releases, even slower software releases, incompatible EHD problems, new features and equipment bereft of flaws. Similarly, I enjoy a top-notch DVR, external storage, and a slew of HD.

That said, I at least know the beast I'm living with; which I couldn't say if I suddenly switched to a competing service. But, to the brave go the spoils of discovery. If you're that concerned about it and don't have to squint at the price, then go for it.

Otherwise, stay put ... it'll all even out in a few years anyway.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#28 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

I tossed this decision around for quite a while.
And for me the best decision is to have both until something happens to swing me one way or another.

I watch everything on E* except Speed (and FOX News until recently) which I watch on D*
I have a 622 with an external drive and a HR21 with the piggy back tuner.
Any recording conflicts get picked up on the HR21.

No PIP on the HR21. That pulls vacuum.

I'm spending around 200 bucks a month and have no premiums (HBO etc). But for now that's the only solution for me.

My locals have been on E* for 5 years and will be HD in March.
D* doesn't even have my SD locals on the radar.
My Toys:
Mitsubishi WD52628
Denon AVR-3806
Dish VIP622
Directv HR21
Pioneer Blu-ray
Monster HTS 2600
Control4 Media controller
Klipsch RB-25 Fronts, RC-25 Center
Klipsch CDT-3800-C In-ceiling rears x 4

spam firewall