Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CNN HD(?)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

Why is CNN HD not putting out an HD picture? Granted, I only usually watch in the early afternoon, but why isn't their Atlanta studio at that time providing an HD picture? It's the exact same thing as their SD feed, except for the "HD" graphics on either side of the 4:3 image. I don't get it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   anarchyreings

anarchyreings

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

It is HD, it's just in 4:3 format.

#3 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Why is CNN HD not putting out an HD picture? Granted, I only usually watch in the early afternoon, but why isn't their Atlanta studio at that time providing an HD picture? It's the exact same thing as their SD feed, except for the "HD" graphics on either side of the 4:3 image. I don't get it.

Not all of their programming is in hd. Perhaps that was what you were watching.

#4 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

It is HD, it's just in 4:3 format.

Nope. CNN doesn't show any 4:3 HD programming, if it's 4:3 it's SD.

#5 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

Not all of their programming is in hd. Perhaps that was what you were watching.

I understand that many of their remote shots will be SD with side borders on the HD channel, but I'm talking about stuff that originates from their Atlanta studio, with the prime talent for that particular time slot.

#6 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

That makes sense with what I'm seeing. I flicked back and forth today between CHH HD and CNN, and the only difference I saw, including picture quality, was the "HD" graphics on the sides of the 4:3 picture on CNN HD.

#7 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

Only CNN's New York studios are HD at this time. Atlanta and DC are not.

#8 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

Only CNN's New York studios are HD at this time. Atlanta and DC are not.

Ahh, that explains it. But it also begs the question: what are they waiting for? Isn't the Atlanta studio CNN's "flagship" location?

#9 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

what are they waiting for? Isn't the Atlanta studio CNN's "flagship" location?

Atlanta is the flagship, I don't know why they're waiting. I seem to recall reading an article that gave the reason, but I don't really remember.

#10 OFFLINE   Funk Doctor

Funk Doctor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

Actually there have been HD feeds from the DC bureau. On AM they had one anchor in DC, the other in NY and it was all in HD. Apparently the DC bureau has HD cameras, but only shows run thru the NY control room can be shown in HD.

CNN had planned to make the DC, LA and Atlanta bureaus full HD, but that was before the economy tanked, so who knows what the plan is now.

#11 OFFLINE   anarchyreings

anarchyreings

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

No. CNN's HD channel sometimes has a 4:3 picture with a giant sized "HD" written on either side of it. If it was SD it wouldn't have giant "HD" letters written on both sides...and that's what the OP is talking about. They don't always do it, but they do do it a lot on certain programs.

#12 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:11 PM

No. CNN's HD channel sometimes has a 4:3 picture with a giant sized "HD" written on either side of it. If it was SD it wouldn't have giant "HD" letters written on both sides

The "HD" just means you're on the HD channel, not that the programming is HD. It's SD.

#13 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:11 PM

Several channels show SD programing on the HD feed and put up HD bars to fill the gap (like ESPN, CNN, etc.). They don't mean the program is in HD, they are there to let you know you are viewing the HD channel.

I too am surprised the CNN has yet to go full HD. You would think the Atlanta studios would've been done first.

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:32 PM

I too am surprised the CNN has yet to go full HD. You would think the Atlanta studios would've been done first.

Most stations would disagree; upgrading the "home office" first would be a huge risk, as everything would have to work. Upgrading remote offices first gives the engineers a chance to get familiar with the equipment, and gives the home office a chance to work on their portion of the new equipment without risking a "sink or swim" problem.

HD isn't a switch, it's a TRANSITION. It is happening over time, not all at once. It's also very, very expensive to replace all existing equipment, workflows, and training for an operation as big as CNN, especially with all of the remote feeds they have to deal with. It's a massive undertaking; far bigger than, say, a network that shows re-runs and a few original shows.

It will still be a couple of years before most networks are full-time HD.

#15 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:01 AM

Fox News does the same thing. Some studios are outfitted for 16:9 and HD, others are 4:3 (either SD or HD, I'm not sure... I assume SD).

I've noticed that if the studio where the whole thing takes place is 4:3 SD, the entire program is, even if the remote location is 16:9 HD. For instance, Fox might interview someone from Los Angeles in 16:9 HD on one program, then bring them back for the next but since the main program is 4:3 SD, so is the LA feed.
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

#16 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

I don't know if it has already been reported, but it seems that the 5.1 audio on CNN HD is not working properly. i have only audio on the left rear speaker.
i thought it was my receiver or my HR21, but no it seems that CNN HD has some audio problems.
Could somebody else confirm

#17 OFFLINE   VegasDen

VegasDen

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:46 AM

I don't know if it has already been reported, but it seems that the 5.1 audio on CNN HD is not working properly. i have only audio on the left rear speaker.
i thought it was my receiver or my HR21, but no it seems that CNN HD has some audio problems.
Could somebody else confirm

Yes, I noticed it to this am. Quick run through some of my other "favorites" indicate it's isolated to CNN HD.

Panasonic TC-P50G10
Samsung LN52A550
HR24-200
H24-200
Samsung BD-P2550 linked to Netflix streaming

#18 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

cool so it's not my receiver

#19 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

I called DirecTV and reported the left rear audio problem. The rep said he'd send a note to engineering.

#20 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,063 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

The audio seems to be back to normal now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...