Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satpro92

Satpro92

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

On the retailer chat last week they announced several HD locals coming Feb.25(I think).However, no mention of whether they would be eastern arc or western.

Where can I find this info?Specifically Tri-cities TN/VA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:13 PM

Any new HD locals will almost certainly be coming from 129, as Ciel-2 has just gone online there and has 16 spot-beam-capble transponders.

#3 OFFLINE   Satpro92

Satpro92

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

Thanks,I hope you are right.Eastern arc has it's advantages here,but all of our recently installed HD customers would be POed.Do you know of a definitive source for this info?

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

All things considered, I would be surprised to see Virginia locals on 129, since Virginia should be square in "Eastern Arc" territory.

There have been hints in the uplinks that lead us to think some markets might be duplicated on eastern/western arcs... but I'd be surprised if Virginia was one of them.

I have no insider knowledge, just going based on what I thought the purpose of having eastern/western arcs would be.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

On the retailer chat last week they announced several HD locals coming Feb.25(I think).However, no mention of whether they would be eastern arc or western.

Where can I find this info?Specifically Tri-cities TN/VA

Go to the last few weeks uplink reports and look for your city. If they werent uplinked yet, wait until this weeks uplink and look.if they were/are uplinked to 129, that is where they should wind up.

#6 OFFLINE   Satpro92

Satpro92

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

Our closest DMA(other than Tri-cities) is Knoxville,they are eastern.So,I assumed it to be eastern.I was just looking for help to plan for the HD locals.Again,I hope it is 129 but i just wanted to know the answer with certainty.

#7 OFFLINE   Satpro92

Satpro92

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

Go to the last few weeks uplink reports and look for your city. If they werent uplinked yet, wait until this weeks uplink and look.if they were/are uplinked to 129, that is where they should wind up.

Link?

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=150003

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=151093

#9 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=150003

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=151093

Be advised that channels 4500-4799 are all virtual uplinks for setting up the sat. They could very well become actual on some other channel(s).

#10 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

From the 1-14-09 uplinks:

ADD 5250 WKPT {KINGSPORT, TN} - MPEG4 HD - Tp 11sXX - Ciel 2 - 129w UNAVAIL HIDE map 19
ADD 5251 WJHL {JOHNSON CITY, TN} - MPEG4 HD - Tp 11sXX - Ciel 2 - 129w UNAVAIL HIDE map 11
ADD 5252 WCYB {BRISTOL, VA} - MPEG4 HD - Tp 11sXX - Ciel 2 - 129w UNAVAIL HIDE map 5
ADD 5253 WEMT {GREENEVILLE, TN} - MPEG4 HD - Tp 11sXX - Ciel 2 - 129w UNAVAIL HIDE map 39

Scheduled to be available Feb 25 as announced on the Retailer Chat last week. I would expect the virtual uplink to become the actual uplink given how soon the date is but it's certainly subject to change. The rest of that list is at the bottom of http://www.dishuser.org/hdlocal.php
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#11 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

http://www.satellite...23&d=1233775060

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

Thanks,I hope you are right.Eastern arc has it's advantages here,but all of our recently installed HD customers would be POed.Do you know of a definitive source for this info?

This is not the only market with potentially PO'd customers. I'm in the Cleveland DMA. There are lots of Dish 1000's (not ".4" and aimed at the western arc), very few have 61.5 "wing dishes".

I'm lucky, I had a 61.5 dish (for Sky Angel) before I had the 622 so I was all set when the 622 arrived. I was pleasantly surprised to get the Cleveland HD locals the day the 622 replaced the 942 (the last in a long line of replacements for what originally a 921).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#13 OFFLINE   spdmonkey

spdmonkey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:06 AM

So according to that chart Toledo and dayton will have HD and yet Columbus still does not? Now I get mine via OTA and its just fine, but come on Dish get real here. Our DMA is got to be one of the highest still not uplinked in HD. In the next few days I will decide what I'm going to do for TV and right now stuff like this is really starting to play into it. IF IF IF I could get cable HD better than Time Warner (and its HD is improving very fast) I would dump Dish after all these years. I want SPEED HD and Time Warner now has it. I am staying for the moment as my RV waiver allows me to get locals thru AAD while we travel, but I might keep the receiver just for the distant nets and dump the rest of the service.
DiSH Customer since June 1996 when Arizona and Michigan residents could buy a system for far less then the rest of the U.S. Oh the good ol days.

#14 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

So according to that chart Toledo and dayton will have HD and yet Columbus still does not? Now I get mine via OTA and its just fine, but come on Dish get real here. Our DMA is got to be one of the highest still not uplinked in HD. In the next few days I will decide what I'm going to do for TV and right now stuff like this is really starting to play into it. IF IF IF I could get cable HD better than Time Warner (and its HD is improving very fast) I would dump Dish after all these years. I want SPEED HD and Time Warner now has it. I am staying for the moment as my RV waiver allows me to get locals thru AAD while we travel, but I might keep the receiver just for the distant nets and dump the rest of the service.

The last I heard TW was still not carrying the NFL Network, so if you care about NFL football I would check that before making the switch to TW.

#15 OFFLINE   Rob052067

Rob052067

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

The last I heard TW was still not carrying the NFL Network, so if you care about NFL football I would check that before making the switch to TW.

On the other hand, if you care about the MLB Network, it's available from TWC but not DishNetwork. :P
Philips 42" LCD HDTV (model 42PF9831D/37)
Time Warner Cable SA8300HD-DVR connected via component cables (MDN Navigator 2.4.4-16)
Dish Network ViP722 HD-DVR connected via HDMI cable (TurboHD-only Bronze Package)

#16 OFFLINE   Hamp89

Hamp89

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

Toledo coming soon makes me happy! :)

spam firewall