Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network or Direct TV

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Iceblaze

Iceblaze

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

I am considering making the dive into Satellite for HD but don't know who is best to go through. Dish Network and Direct TV both have awesome deals for new signers.

Dish Network starts off their HD at about $10 for the first 6 months. They also are providing free HD DVR upgrades and movie channels for a few months. http://shop.acnsatel...2.com/hdtv.aspx

Direct TV looks like it is a little higher but probably includes more channels at about $30 for hd programming. They also are offering HD DVR upgrades and movie channels. https://shop.acnsate...rent_offer.html

From your own experience, which would be the most economical choice to get HD programming that includes the more popular channels on top of local hd?

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

It all comes down to what equipment you plan to get. For a single box dish is a bit cheaper AFAIK. But with more IRDs the per IRD cost is higher for dish.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

I had Directv for 7 years,if you love and I mean love football go with Directv no one can compare,but If you just love football in the sense that you like to watch the home team and 2-3 other games you usually catch on your local channels then I would go with Dish. Their DVRs are superior IMHO and their programming is much better to me. Tons more premiums in HD. Before I had 2 HDDVRS and 2 SDDVRS with HDPlus with locals and was paying an average of around 85-90 a month. Now with Dish I have 3 HDDVRs Classic Gold 250+locals+HD Gold+Starz+Cinemax+HBO and I'm am only paying 35.00 for the first 6 months. After that I'll be paying about 72.00 - HBO and Starz which I'll probably add because most of all the HBO and Starz channels are HD. Directv=crazy good sports(unmatched) and Dish=Crazy good equipment,price and programming. I hope this helps.

#4 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

They both have about the same amount of HD channels (though differ on which channels they are in some cases). If you want to see who has what, then...
http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1058081
Dish did add Fox News HD and Fox Business News HD this past week, so really they are only 1 HD channel apart with Dish up 4 in premium HD channels.

#5 OFFLINE   HDftw

HDftw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

HD Channels are about the same. I agree with Brandon if you love football you might want to go with Direct, but other than that go with Dish.

#6 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

The dish HD only package can save alot of money over direct if all you care about is HD.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

The dish HD only package can save alot of money over direct if all you care about is HD.

With the new price increases, on both sides, it's not as far off as it once was depending on what you want to see in HD.

#8 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:27 AM

With the new price increases, on both sides, it's not as far off as it once was depending on what you want to see in HD.

To get the lowest possible package that gives me the channels I want in HD. $40 for dish and $75 for direct.

#9 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

... Now with Dish I have 3 HDDVRs Classic Gold 250+locals+HD Gold+Starz+Cinemax+HBO and I'm am only paying 35.00 for the first 6 months. After that I'll be paying about 72.00 - HBO and Starz which I'll probably add because most of all the HBO and Starz channels are HD...

How did you manage that? I have 1 HDDVR, 1 HD rec, 1 SD rec and the same programming package. My bill is $120 :eek2::eek2:

#10 OFFLINE   Prince Oz

Prince Oz

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:56 PM

How did you manage that? I have 1 HDDVR, 1 HD rec, 1 SD rec and the same programming package. My bill is $120 :eek2::eek2:

I here you. How in the world is he getting that? When I was with Dish, I had the 250 pack, all the HD programming, PPlan, and 1 VIP722 and I was paying $96 a month. Thats why I went to D*.
Prince Oz
Living = HR23-700, Sammy LN52A550, BD350, Yamaha 735
Game Room = Dell XPS 630, 360 Elite, Vizio VS32, HR20
Roll Tide Roll

#11 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

I here you. How in the world is he getting that? When I was with Dish, I had the 250 pack, all the HD programming, PPlan, and 1 VIP722 and I was paying $96 a month. Thats why I went to D*.

Everytime I looked at D* it was always more expensive for comparable packages... Am I missing something? :confused:

#12 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

I am considering making the dive into Satellite for HD but don't know who is best to go through. Dish Network and Direct TV both have awesome deals for new signers.

Dish Network starts off their HD at about $10 for the first 6 months. They also are providing free HD DVR upgrades and movie channels for a few months. http://shop.acnsatel...2.com/hdtv.aspx

Direct TV looks like it is a little higher but probably includes more channels at about $30 for hd programming. They also are offering HD DVR upgrades and movie channels. https://shop.acnsate...rent_offer.html

From your own experience, which would be the most economical choice to get HD programming that includes the more popular channels on top of local hd?

As costs you see from other posters can vary depending on when they signed up, when they renewed, who they knew (or didn’t know), etc... let’s look at content:

If you love sports more than movies, then go with DirecTV. If the reverse, then go with Dish.

I have only had experience with DirecTV and their equipment. Loved the TiVo units when they came out. Love the HR-2X series now that most of the bugs have been worked out. Only wish they had Dual Live Buffers (it’s a sports thing, I guess…) :hurah:

#13 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

Everytime I looked at D* it was always more expensive for comparable packages... Am I missing something? :confused:

Direct doesn't have a 250 pack but their closest is 265. Add on HD and DVR fee and you'll be paying $97/month with the promo and $120/month after.

On dish with the promo to have 250, all of the HD, locals and DVR it's $53/month after it's $128/month

So it depends on what packages you want. I want HD only and dish is the only service to offer it.

#14 OFFLINE   TheChef

TheChef

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

Now with Dish I have 3 HDDVRs Classic Gold 250+locals+HD Gold+Starz+Cinemax+HBO and I'm am only paying 35.00 for the first 6 months. After that I'll be paying about 72.00 - HBO and Starz which I'll probably add because most of all the HBO and Starz channels are HD. Directv=crazy good sports(unmatched) and Dish=Crazy good equipment,price and programming. I hope this helps.

Hmm, not to sound offensive but I would look a little closer at your billing. After you end the six month promo period you are going to be looking at a size more than 72.00.

The cheapest price you would be getting would be with DishDVR Advantage. If you truly have 3 HD dvrs and not an HD dvr duo and a 612 then you are looking at 3 dvr fees of 5.98 a pop and two leased receiver fees. If you have the DDA it will only be 5.00 per. So still looking at around 15.00 in dvr fees. Your hbo/starz/goldhd/250 gold addon will run you 40.00. Or 20.00 without hbo/starz

You are looking at almost 70.00/50.00 alone before you factor in the 200 package price itself which is going to run you 52.99 with locals.

The least possible amount you could pay would be if you really had a 622/722 and a 612 instead of 3 hd dvrs which would be 3 612. In the x22/612 scenario /w dda you would still pay at least 89.99 w/o hbo/starz.

57.99 for dda rcvr one, the x22 taking care of the tv2 connection fee and the dvr fee 2. 20.00 hd/250. 5.00 dvr fee. 7.00 lease fee.

3 612's without dda is going to cost you 104.93 without, 125.93 with hbo/starz

Sorry this was so long.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish Network's positions, strategies, or opinions.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...