Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Direct TV or Dish Network? Which has the better Deal?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Iceblaze

Iceblaze

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

I am considering making the dive into Satellite for HD but don't know who is best to go through. Dish Network and Direct TV both have awesome deals for new signers.

Dish Network starts off their HD at about $10 for the first 6 months. They also are providing free HD DVR upgrades and movie channels for a few months. http://shop.acnsatel...2.com/hdtv.aspx

Direct TV looks like it is a little higher but probably includes more channels at about $30 for hd programming. They also are offering HD DVR upgrades and movie channels. https://shop.acnsate...rent_offer.html

From your own experience, which would be the most economical choice to get HD programming that includes the more popular channels on top of local hd?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

I actually don't care about the deal. Because you are locked into a contract and that deal is going to expire at some point. So I only look at the final price.

And dish is cheaper. More so because they have HD only packages and HD is all I care about. To get the channels I care about, locals and DVR it costs me $40/month with dish. With direct it would cost me $75. (prices are after promotions and takes into account the increased direct and dish fees for this year)

Direct does have more HD. But of the HD channels that direct has that dish does not there are only 2 that dish is missing that I care about and that's FX and Comedy Central. However Direct doesn't have The Travel Channel and Dish does.

I prefer the Dish receivers now. And with an antenna I can record 3 shows at once in HD on the dish receiver. A feature we do use. Direct can only record 2.

However Direct is getting Tivo receivers in the 2nd half of this year and I do love tivo.

Now if only Direct had an HD only package I would sign up now. But for now my choice would be dish for the better receivers and HD only packages. They also have their new satellite coming online and a bunch of HD will be added soon.

#3 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

Personally, i don't care about the deals or even HD... my main reason for having direct is NFL sunday ticket. We are big football fans here :hurah:

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#4 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

Directv is cheaper for the package/channels I want, plus I have always been with them and am more comfortable with their lineup/technology. So I have Directv ;)
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

Content is key, and should be your primary consideration. If the provider doesn't have what you want, then what's the point?

Second should be the receivers you want. The two companies handle things very differently.

Third should be cost. Don't base things on the package price, which is usually the price for a single SD receiver. Instead, figure out what receivers you are going to get, then add up all of the extra fees and compare the final totals. For most people, the prices are pretty close between the two in the end, though certain configurations can favor one over the other. Smaller systems are often cheaper with Dish, while larger systems are almost always cheaper with DirecTV, for example.

#6 OFFLINE   IDRick

IDRick

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

Content is key, and should be your primary consideration. If the provider doesn't have what you want, then what's the point?

Second should be the receivers you want. The two companies handle things very differently.

Third should be cost. Don't base things on the package price, which is usually the price for a single SD receiver. Instead, figure out what receivers you are going to get, then add up all of the extra fees and compare the final totals. For most people, the prices are pretty close between the two in the end, though certain configurations can favor one over the other. Smaller systems are often cheaper with Dish, while larger systems are almost always cheaper with DirecTV, for example.

IIP gave a good list of considerations but I would add locals high on the list. Does the sat company provide your locals in HD? In my case, D* does not provide any locals and E* provides most but is in a contract dispute with our CBS affiliate. Do you have OTA or are you interested in setting yourself up for OTA? Some cases it's easy, others it's a real hassle to set up OTA.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

Other factors are things like how many satellite dish's are you willing to have? In some cases E* require multiple dish's. D* only does that now if you want international channels.

E* also has signal issues right now depending on where you live vs what programming you want to get. This is something that they say will be fixed with their new satellite.

The largest reason I would choose D* over E* is the simple fact that D* has has very little contractual issues causing channels to drop. E* is constantly having them go on and with national channels. They also change their line up much more then D* does in terms of dropping a channel.

As IIP said though content should be your first priority. Every provider out there has a cheap package so if price is your concern over content then any provider should meet your needs.

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

If you know someone that has DirecTV now ask them for the $50 referral (both you and them get $50 rebate on bill).

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

As IIP, said content should be looked at first.

For me, D* has NFL Sunday Ticket. That sealed the deal for me.

If you want international programming, that's were Dish wins. My in-laws wanted Chinese programming. D* had some, but Dish had more. that's who they went with.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

If it matters to you, only Dish Network has "Channels I Get" working.
That's an option in the guide to display only the channels in your subscription package.
It doesn't sound like a big deal at a glance, but when you search for a program and then set it to record the program, only to find that it recorded nothing because the search results included channels you cannot receive, it becomes a bigger deal.

Dish Network even changes your channels list to include temporary channels that are turned on during promotion events like free preview weekends for premium channels.

DirecTV has done a good job with Media Share, Direct on Demand, and they'll probably have multi-room viewing going sooner than later.
They have a "Channels I Get" option in their guide, it just doesn't work, and they seem to not care too much about it.

Also, you will find Dish's guide to move faster and higher frame rates in their fast forward and rewind playback.

You can also run two rooms off of one receiver with Dish.

If both have the channels that matter to you in comparable packages, I would strongly suggest finding friends who have one or the other and asking them let you see their system in operation.
I was with Dish for 8 years before switching to DirecTV.
In that time, Dish replaced my DVR twice and it never cost me a single penny.
DirecTV wanted to charge me to have the tech come back and tight the mast bolts the installer left loose and they wanted to charge me $20 shipping to swap out THEIR receiver when it crapped out on me.
They also automatically renewed my subscription for NASCAR Hot Pass without asking.
DirecTV seems to be more about charging than they are about providing service.

Edited by deltafowler, 07 February 2009 - 09:58 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

In that time, Dish replaced my DVR twice and it never cost me a single penny.
DirecTV wanted to charge me to have the tech come back and tight the mast bolts the installer left loose and they wanted to charge me $20 shipping to swap out THEIR receiver when it crapped out on me.
They also automatically renewed my subscription for NASCAR Hot Pass without asking.
DirecTV seems to be more about charging than they are about providing service.

You can get Protection plan and they won't charge you D&H.

All sports subscriptions except for Cricket Ticket auto renew every year at a discounted rate. You can cancel it before the season starts just call or go online.

#12 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

You can get Protection plan and they won't charge you D&H.

Yes, I am aware of this.
Again, DirecTV seems to be more about sales than they are about service.
Why should I buy insurance for something that doesn't belong to me? :nono2:

#13 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

Could not have said it better myself! This was huge for me!! If you have one TV and at the time a phone line.. Dish was a good deal.. If you have more then one HD TV well Directv is better for me plus MLB and NFL!?

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

Yes, I am aware of this.
Again, DirecTV seems to be more about sales than they are about service.
Why should I buy insurance for something that doesn't belong to me? :nono2:

Paying to ship the item back is different then paying to replace it. Most companies will not pay for D&H with just their standard warranty. People already abuse systems enough, not saying you are, that paying for shipping both ways costs too much money . They can refurb the receiver but the shipping would just be a cost.

The PP is not for the receiver actually. It's for everything else, however because it's an insurance company they cover the D&H as well because you get that in your payment to them.

As far as sales vs service well that's opinion based. Both companies are about sales because both are about making money. However to me service is what they do with that money. Personally I think service is not losing channels to disputes, not having a company spend millions on court fees rather then their technology, and not violating federal law so you get slapped with fines all the time is better. I could go on but it won't matter too much. However at least with the D* PP you don't pay for anything when it's technical related. With E* you still have to pay for a SC just at a reduced cost.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...