Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Installation Upgrade Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TDog22

TDog22

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

Hi all,

I installed a 5 LNB HD dish a while back with my HD-21 and a standard Directv box. I would like to install an international dish as well, but need some major assistance on the items to buy and how to connect it all together. Installing the one dish was pretty easy and straightforward. But to expand to include the other dish confuses me.

Current Setup:
HD 5 LNB Dish with 4 cables entering the attic. Attic feeds connections to 2 different rooms. Currently I do not have a multi-switch installed since I utilized the multi-switch available on the dish itself.

Question:
What type of dish do I need to get to support the international channels?
What kind of switch would I need to get (assuming a multi-switch is a must)?

Any suggestions are welcome. I will answer any questions that may arise.

Thanks in advance everyone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

I'd suggest you call Directv for an upgrade.

International dish POS/PIA. required.

WB68 Multiswitcher. required.

Patience. Lots.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

Zinwell WB68 multi-switch

"I think" a 18" single LNB dish will work. [I'm sure someone will correct me if this isn't so]
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   TDog22

TDog22

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

I have had them come out and install it before and I had pretty bad experiences, so I prefer to do it myself.

#5 OFFLINE   Birdman79

Birdman79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

An 18' dish won't do,you'd need DTV's 36' dish,or you can use a free to air dish(33'),and run the line to flex port one on a 6x8 switch.You need a big dish because of the linear frequency.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Zinwell WB68 multi-switch

Yes.

"I think" a 18" single LNB dish will work. [I'm sure someone will correct me if this isn't so]

No, DirecTV international comes from 95W (Galaxy 3C), which is an FSS-class Ku bird. It requires the "WorldDirect" 30" dish and an FSS-band LNB, which comes with the dish.

Posted Image

The single output from the FSS LNB goes into one of the Flexports on the WB68. The additional standard DBS LNB that comes in the kit is intended to pick up 101 when the World Direct dish is used by itself, and is not needed and should not be connected to the switch when used with the KaKu dish.

Everyone hates this dish because the tripod-style mast is a pain to install and level (it must be mounted on a flat surface with a triangular base area with about 2' sides), and because there are a lot of parts to assemble. Oh, and because it uses 13mm bolts instead of 1/2".

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

No, DirecTV international comes from 95W (Galaxy 3C), which is an FSS-class Ku bird. It requires the "WorldDirect" 30" dish and an FSS-band LNB, which comes with the dish.

Posted Image

The single output from the FSS LNB goes into one of the Flexports on the WB68. The additional standard DBS LNB that comes in the kit is intended to pick up 101 when the World Direct dish is used by itself, and is not needed and should not be connected to the switch when used with the KaKu dish.

Everyone hates this dish because the tripod-style mast is a pain to install and level (it must be mounted on a flat surface with a triangular base area with about 2' sides), and because there are a lot of parts to assemble. Oh, and because it uses 13mm bolts instead of 1/2".

Thanks [I knew someone would]
So the 95 SAT doesn't use the same dish as the 72.5 SAT does/did.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

No. 72.5 is a DBS-class bird, and can use a normal 18" round dish and DBS LNB.

#9 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

Thanks [I knew someone would]
So the 95 SAT doesn't use the same dish as the 72.5 SAT does/did.

Nah, sadly enough it doesn't.

To the OP i really recommend getting a trained tech out for this upgrade. The 95 signal really is hard to grab without the proper tools.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,895 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

DBS satellites (such as 99, 101, 103, etc.) use circular polarization. 95 uses linear and part of the alignment is rotating the LNB to the proper position. As others have noted, installating and aligning the 95 dish is a pain.

Technically, the 95 dish should be connected to flexport 2 on the WB68, but I think it works on flexport 1 if there is no 72.5 dish.

#11 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

DBS satellites (such as 99, 101, 103, etc.) use circular polarization. 95 uses linear and part of the alignment is rotating the LNB to the proper position. As others have noted, installating and aligning the 95 dish is a pain.

Not anymore. Earlier generations used to have a tiltable 95 LNB but the current generation has a fixed LNB and if the mast is plumb aligns with the rest of the dish.

Technically, the 95 dish should be connected to flexport 2 on the WB68, but I think it works on flexport 1 if there is no 72.5 dish.

For any single wing dish [ no matter if it's 95 or 72.5 ] has to go on flex 1. Only on flex two in the rare case of 72.5 & 95.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

DBS satellites (such as 99, 101, 103, etc.) use circular polarization. 95 uses linear and part of the alignment is rotating the LNB to the proper position.

The LNB has an alignment pin molded onto it, and the bracket has a slot for the pin, so unless you heavy-hand it during assembly, the LNB will be properly aligned. The output connector will face down when the LNB is properly aligned.

#13 OFFLINE   TDog22

TDog22

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

Looking at International dishes, there appears to be two different models: DTV36EDS and DTV66E.

It appears that the DTV66E has a single mast and the DTV36EDS has the tripod mast. What is the difference between the two models and is either easier to install over the other?

#14 OFFLINE   buck43

buck43

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:33 AM

I strongly reccomend having the international installed. along with the increased complexity of the dish, the ird setup also requires advanced training. I wouldnt worry too much about having a bad experience as most hsp's send senior tech's to do internationals.

#15 OFFLINE   TDog22

TDog22

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Based on everyone's feedback, I think I will opt to get a contractor to do the install, but I was still planning on buying the ancillary equipment to cut down on the overall cost. Which dish is recommended between the two (DTV36EDS and DTV66E)? Or does it not matter?

#16 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:28 PM

The DTV66E isn't very common, but it's easier to install. It uses a 2" mast with an oversize mast foot. The dish itself is metal-impregnated fiberglass. It's a cleaner-looking install.

The DTV36EDS is the World Direct dish I posted above, which uses the tripod mount, and is powder-coated steel like all the other dishes. Technically, the tripod mount is more secure, but it requires the dish to be mounted on a large, flat surface; either a roof or a wall. From an installer's point of view, it's a pain to put together and mount. From a customer's point of view, it might be better in areas with high winds, especially if the dish is going on the roof where it won't be sheltered.

If you can mount the dish on a wall where the house blocks the wind, then it doesn't matter.

#17 OFFLINE   TwoPhases

TwoPhases

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:49 AM

My mother-in-law's World Direct LNB just died. It's an Eagle Aspen P170 linear LNB (which no one carries of course). Any standard or universal FSS LNB out there that might work as a replacement? I know that I may have to fabricate a new bracket for it.

#18 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

My mother-in-law's World Direct LNB just died. It's an Eagle Aspen P170 linear LNB (which no one carries of course). Any standard or universal FSS LNB out there that might work as a replacement? I know that I may have to fabricate a new bracket for it.

Why not just call Directv and have them send her a new one?
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#19 OFFLINE   TwoPhases

TwoPhases

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

Why not just call Directv and have them send her a new one?

A new dish or a new lnb? Won't that involve a tech coming to her house? And at what cost? Another 2-yr commitment? She's on a fixed income being retired & all.

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

A new dish or a new lnb?

• Won't that involve a tech coming to her house?
  • And at what cost?
  • Another 2-yr commitment?
She's on a fixed income being retired & all.

• yes
  • maybe, as it can be waived, but could also cost
  • no

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...