Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Installation Upgrade Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TwoPhases

TwoPhases

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

Okay, I made the call. There will be no 2-yr commitment but they want her to pay $80 for the new World Direct dish & new linear LNB. Thanks for the input but back to my initial question. Any standard or universal FSS LNB out there that might work as a replacement? That may be the less expensive option for her.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

The DTV66E isn't very common, but it's easier to install. It uses a 2" mast with an oversize mast foot. The dish itself is metal-impregnated fiberglass. It's a cleaner-looking install.

The DTV36EDS is the World Direct dish I posted above, which uses the tripod mount, and is powder-coated steel like all the other dishes. Technically, the tripod mount is more secure, but it requires the dish to be mounted on a large, flat surface; either a roof or a wall. From an installer's point of view, it's a pain to put together and mount. From a customer's point of view, it might be better in areas with high winds, especially if the dish is going on the roof where it won't be sheltered.

If you can mount the dish on a wall where the house blocks the wind, then it doesn't matter.

the world direct is much easier to install now because months ago they standardized all DTV mast to 2 inches. 18 inch, 18x20, 36 world direct, and KAKU all use the same mast 2 inches. so setting one of these up now is alot faster for me because its the same mast as monopoles as kaku. the dish looks like the one pictured. i put them up twice as fast as before , that mast thats pictured was a pos.

#23 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

Okay, I made the call. There will be no 2-yr commitment but they want her to pay $80 for the new World Direct dish & new linear LNB. Thanks for the input but back to my initial question. Any standard or universal FSS LNB out there that might work as a replacement? That may be the less expensive option for her.

For a new dish and LNB, plus installation that is very reasonable. Basically, they usually charge about $50 for the tech visit and then a minimal cost for the dish.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#24 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

Folks...I'm supposed to have an international dish installed this weekend. My current dish is a 3LNB Slimline very securely mounted to an old 4" c band pole. (We poured concrete down the pole and inserted the 2" pipe for the DirecTV dish in the center, so is IS secure.) I was wondering about the mount. Is this something that could be strapped to the side of the existing pole?

Also...we currently have two lines running to the house where the multiswitch is. Will we require additional lines to the multiswitch, or would this hook at the pole to the existing dish?

thanks! Mike Nassour

#25 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

You're going to need another pole, and you're going to need 4 lines from the Slimline along with 1 line from the International dish, all going to some type of switch. The following would work:

Legacy:
- 6x8
- 6x16 (discontinued)

SWM:
- SWM8
- SWM16
- SWM32 (commercial use only)

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

Protected By... spam firewall...And...