Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Get DirecTV" flyer/ad in our local Sunday newspaper

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

Over the course of the last 3-4 weeks,our local newspaper has been inserting a flyer/ad for new subscribers to DirecTV.
The insert that I viewed today has prompted me to post a thread on here in that regards.
Here are some of the highlights of the flyer:

1. Lock in the following programming package prices for 1 year:
Choice for $29.99/month
Plus DVR for $39.99/month
Plus HD DVR for $49.99/month
2. NASCAR Hotpass package free for the 2009 season.
3. Free HD DVR upgrade with Choice XTRA package or higher.
Programming,DVR service and HD Access fee agreements are required to get the free HD DVR upgrade.
4. 28 movie channels (7 HBO,12 Starz and 9 Showtime channels) free for 3 months,when you sign up for Choice XTRA package or above.

Offers end 3/3/09,and are based on approved credit.A credit card is required too.
They are also advertising the premiere of the Disney XD HD channel,coming Friday,2/13/09.
The flyer gives a toll-free number to call,or go to DirecTV's site to sign up for the new sub offer.
I wondered if anyone else on here may have noticed this insert in their Sunday newspapers recently.
The flyer that I looked at today seems like a good deal for potential new subs indeed. :)

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

looks like a good deal, way better than the old rca receiver and single lnb dish package that i got (somewhere around '98) for ~$600, and i had to install it myself.:lol:
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#3 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

That's essentially the same as their website offer just with the added NASCAR offer. It's a good time to be a new sub.

#4 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

looks like a good deal, way better than the old rca receiver and single lnb dish package that i got (somewhere around '98) for ~$600, and i had to install it myself.:lol:

Yuck, you should have gone with the Sony :lol:

My original Sony install from 96' was awesome, great little dish it came with too (even had an aiming light on the LNB). It was a do it yourself kit, but actually preferred it that way and wish they would still let us do DIY installs (I know the CS reasons they dont though).

Got a good deal on it at the time though, it was only $499 for the receiver and install kit as they were on clearance at a department store :D

(can you believe you new subs are complaining about $99 for a DVR and $199 for an HDDVR! :P )
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

I thought it was more than that:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

Back in '94, a new system was about $1,000, depending on where you got it. As with everything it got cheaper as the years passed. I had forgotten about the blinking light on the Sony LNB's. That takes me back. :grin:

#7 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

great little dish it came with too (even had an aiming light on the LNB).

And a nightmare to repair down the road. Incompatible with just about anything. :nono2:
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#8 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

And a nightmare to repair down the road. Incompatible with just about anything. :nono2:

When they came to upgrade me to a DVR in 05' (first time I had ever had an installer out, thats right, 9yrs of totally self sufficient thank you!) I insisted I needed a new dish. CSRs argued with me saying they could just replace the LNB. Installers got to my house, get on the roof, mess with it for about 20min, and decide I need a new dish. They had to go back to the shop to get one as well. :rolleyes:

But that little dish was awesome. Smaller than the 18" dish and had a sleek look too. If people had issues, you could always just replace the dish. 101 dishes are easy Mertzen! ;)

Like I said, I wish Directv would let us do our own work. If they would I would have 0 service calls vs. the 4 I have right now that were all just to bring new equipment. But I know it is a support nightmare as people that think they can and cannot do it and then a truck has to roll anyways to try and fix whatever mess they made.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#9 OFFLINE   xrobmn

xrobmn

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Over the course of the last 3-4 weeks,our local newspaper has been inserting a flyer/ad for new subscribers to DirecTV.
The insert that I viewed today has prompted me to post a thread on here in that regards.

Choice for $29.99/month
Programming,DVR service and HD Access fee agreements are required to get the free HD DVR upgrade.
4. 28 movie channels (7 HBO,12 Starz and 9 Showtime channels) free for 3 months,when you sign up for Choice XTRA package or above.

Offers end 3/3/09,and are based on approved credit.A credit card is required too.
They are also advertising the premiere of the Disney XD HD channel,coming Friday,2/13/09.
The flyer gives a toll-free number to call,or go to DirecTV's site to sign up for the new sub offer.
I wondered if anyone else on here may have noticed this insert in their Sunday newspapers recently.
The flyer that I looked at today seems like a good deal for potential new subs indeed. :)

#2 - Nascar.. wasn't the 2008 'season' the last year for Nascar hotpass?

#10 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:59 PM

#2 - Nascar.. wasn't the 2008 'season' the last year for Nascar hotpass?

Not sure if '08 was the last season or not.
But,DirecTV is promoting the '09 season in the flyer/ad.
Here is the exact wording presented in the ad for HotPass:
NEW FOR '09
NASCAR HotPass absolutely FREE.
Another service exclusively from DIRECTV

Steve

#11 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Choice for $29.99/month

I got this also and noticed Fox News Channel HD missing from the list of HD channels D* carries.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#12 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

Choice for $29.99/month

It is what's left out of the ad that is important. Your first bill will be full amount you must file for the $23 discount and it could take upto 2 months before the discount shows on your bill. Even though you lock in the price for a year you are also signing a 2 year commitment so the full price will be there for the second year and seeing D* has raised their price in March the second year will be even more expensive.
The 3 mo. free of movie services is nice but if you don't cancel at the end could add about $50 to your bill per month. Free HD DVR adds a $9.99 HD charge for HD programming and a $5.99/Mo. DVR fee unless you chose packages that include them.

In other words look at all the facts not just the large print.

spam firewall