Jump to content


Welcome to DBSTalk


Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends
 
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New NAB poll on DTV readiness shows high state of consumer readiness


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts
Joined: Oct 03, 2003

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

Ummmm, so just what is the crisis was that calls for an extension to June 12?

http://www.dtvanswer...kit/090205.html

New Poll Finds 8 of 10 Broadcast-Only Households Have Taken Steps to Prepare for Digital TV Switch
February 5, 2009
WASHINGTON, DC — According to a new poll released today by the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), more than eight out of 10 American households that will be most impacted by the impending switchover to digital television (DTV) have taken action to ready their homes.

A national telephone survey of 2,650 households conducted January 2-6 found that 82 percent of over-the-air television households have taken steps to prepare for the transition by learning more about their options in getting DTV, applying for a converter box coupon or completing their upgrade to DTV.

Among over-the-air households who are currently receiving digital signals, 76 percent reported an improvement in the quality of their television reception.

Awareness of the DTV transition nationally remains sky high with 97 percent of all households either aware that TV is switching to digital, knowledgeable that the transition will impact over-the-air signals or able to previously identify the correct transition date. The margin of sampling error is +/- 2 percent.

"These findings make clear that there is universal awareness of the DTV transition, with most Americans having gotten the message, understanding what they need to do and taking steps to ensure their homes are ready," Seth Geiger, president of SmithGeiger LLC, which conducted the poll.

NAB commissioned the survey as part of its massive DTV education campaign valued at more than $1 billion to ensure that no consumer loses access to free broadcast television due to a lack of information about the transition. "We are pleased to see that broadcasters' wide-reaching education efforts have penetrated beyond general awareness and compelled Americans to act," said Jonathan Collegio, NAB vice president for the DTV transition.

Federal law requires all full-power television stations to switch to all-digital broadcasting by June 12, 2009. Consumers who receive free over-the-air signals on analog TV sets must upgrade to DTV with a converter box, digital TV set or pay TV subscription.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 2,050 posts
Joined: Jul 04, 2006

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

Actually, that doesn't sound too good. That means that 18% of OTA households are unprepared. And since it includes "learning about options" and "applying for a converter box coupon" as preparedness steps, that means that there may be lots of households in the remaining 82% who are not able to receive digital television, because they have not received coupons or have not purchased converter boxes or digital sets.


The only interesting part of the survey is that 97% of OTA households are aware of the digital conversion. Delaying conversion to June is unlikely to increase awareness rates, nor would it normally increase action based on awareness. The one area where the delay would increase action is if OTA households were unable to get coupons, or unable to get converter boxes. But correcting that requires that funding be provided for coupons to those who have not received them, and funding be provided for replacing coupons that expired because the consumer was unable to use the coupons.

This really gets down to the fact that the Coupon program needs to be fixed.

#3 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 2,988 posts
Joined: Dec 22, 2006

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

Actually, that doesn't sound too good. That means that 18% of OTA households are unprepared. And since it includes "learning about options" and "applying for a converter box coupon" as preparedness steps, that means that there may be lots of households in the remaining 82% who are not able to receive digital television, because they have not received coupons or have not purchased converter boxes or digital sets.


The only interesting part of the survey is that 97% of OTA households are aware of the digital conversion. Delaying conversion to June is unlikely to increase awareness rates, nor would it normally increase action based on awareness. The one area where the delay would increase action is if OTA households were unable to get coupons, or unable to get converter boxes. But correcting that requires that funding be provided for coupons to those who have not received them, and funding be provided for replacing coupons that expired because the consumer was unable to use the coupons.

This really gets down to the fact that the Coupon program needs to be fixed.


If that 18% wanted to get ready, I am sure that a good number of them could afford a converter box. But they would rather complain about not being able to get a coupon. I have no sympathy for those people. I believe many coupons expired because many people did not need them in the first place.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#4 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 1,943 posts
Joined: Jan 20, 2003

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:20 AM

This really gets down to the fact that the Coupon program needs to be fixed.



Actually, no. This really comes down to there are certain people who cannot comprehend simple concepts and will not understand until the day their TV quits working.

#5 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

    Legend

  • Registered
  • 212 posts
Joined: Oct 29, 2008

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:37 AM

Actually, that doesn't sound too good. That means that 18% of OTA households are unprepared. And since it includes "learning about options" and "applying for a converter box coupon" as preparedness steps, that means that there may be lots of households in the remaining 82% who are not able to receive digital television, because they have not received coupons or have not purchased converter boxes or digital sets.


The only interesting part of the survey is that 97% of OTA households are aware of the digital conversion. Delaying conversion to June is unlikely to increase awareness rates, nor would it normally increase action based on awareness. The one area where the delay would increase action is if OTA households were unable to get coupons, or unable to get converter boxes. But correcting that requires that funding be provided for coupons to those who have not received them, and funding be provided for replacing coupons that expired because the consumer was unable to use the coupons.

This really gets down to the fact that the Coupon program needs to be fixed.


Actually, no. This really comes down to there are certain people who cannot comprehend simple concepts and will not understand until the day their TV quits working.


That means that come June 12th, the number may be......17%.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 2,353 posts
Joined: Aug 28, 2006

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

That means that come June 12th, the number may be......17%.


It will be far fewer than that, as some of these viewers live in markets that will shut-down analog on the 17th as planned.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#7 OFFLINE   Retro

Retro

    AllStar

  • Registered
  • 87 posts
Joined: Nov 27, 2007

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

If it's only 18% of the 15% of the country that rely soley on OTA programming, that comes to roughly 3% of the country that are not ready. Not really a big deal IMO and nothing to further delay the transition.

#8 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 2,050 posts
Joined: Jul 04, 2006

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

Sam & Pepster, my comment regarding fixing the coupon program was in relation to the possibility I described that some people may have been unable to get or use the coupons.

But as I noted, since awareness is at 97%, delay will not increase awareness. And if there was nothing stopping those people from taking action to be ready for the transistion, then delay will not increase the amount of action taken by those not ready.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

    Lifetime Achiever

  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
Joined: Nov 15, 2005

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

Boy is this an old poll, taken January 2-6, yet only recently reported. Oh how the Nielsen surveys have shown so much change in recent weeks.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)


#10 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 2,353 posts
Joined: Aug 28, 2006

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

Boy is this an old poll, taken January 2-6, yet only recently reported. Oh how the Nielsen surveys have shown so much change in recent weeks.

Cheers,
Tom


100,000,000 households x 15% (OTA only) = 15,000,000
15,000,000 OTA x 18% (ota not ready) = 2,700,000
2,700,000 / 100,000,000 = 2.7% "not ready" as of 1/6/09.

Assuming that even more "got ready" in the last month, the total "unprepared" number is really more along the lines of less than 2%.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB




spam firewall