Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about 3 free HD PPV I got as my Loyalty gift

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

I got a card in the mail this week from D* saying they're giving my 3 free HD PPVs. All I have to do is purchase them and they will credit my account. My question is, do I have to "buy" the HD PPV the traditional way via the channels in the 100s, or can I simply "buy" the movies listed in the Top Movies section in the Playlist, or can I download an HD movie via channel 1100 in the On Demand section?

Also, what's the latest on the 24 hour rule for PPVs to delete themselves? That was coming into play when I moved last summer, so I didn't keep up with that development. Thanks.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

Not sure about the On Demand PPVs but I'd imagine they would be treated the same.

As for the 24 hour rule, it's still there. You must watch a recorded PPV within 24 hours of beginning to watch it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   theesir

theesir

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

I got a card in the mail this week from D* saying they're giving my 3 free HD PPVs. All I have to do is purchase them and they will credit my account. My question is, do I have to "buy" the HD PPV the traditional way via the channels in the 100s, or can I simply "buy" the movies listed in the Top Movies section in the Playlist, or can I download an HD movie via channel 1100 in the On Demand section?

Also, what's the latest on the 24 hour rule for PPVs to delete themselves? That was coming into play when I moved last summer, so I didn't keep up with that development. Thanks.

I received one of these Loyalty cards as well, but mine gave me a free year of Showtime and its associated channels. I personally find the programming on Showtime blows, I wish I would have got 3 free movies instead :lol:

I do appreciate the gesture from D* though.

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

I just got my 3 free HD PPV Movie pass as well, it says it’s good for 12 months. Thank you DirecTV:)

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

As for the 24 hour rule, it's still there. You must watch a recorded PPV within 24 hours of beginning to watch it.

I have not ordered a PPV movie since dinosaurs roamed the earth because there to expensive.

What is this 24 hour rule you are talking about? :confused:

If I order a movie and record it with my HR20-700 I only have 24 hours to watch said movie or once I start watching said recorded movie from my HR20 DVR the 24 hour clock starts ticking? :eek2:

I’m not sure of how this rule works, please explain, Thanks

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

When you order a PPV, there will be an expiration date, at which point the PPV will auto-delete, whether you have watched it or not, and there will be a timer that starts when you first hit Play. Not all PPVs have a 24 hour limit, but for those that do, the 24 hours starts when you hit Play. If the 24 hour period has passed, the recording will stay on the DVR, and you can rent it again by pressing Play.

Most PPVs have about 3-4 weeks before they will completely expire and delete themselves. Again, all the information is on the order screen, which you can see before you make a purchase.

#7 OFFLINE   tim99

tim99

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

I didn't get it via a the loyalty card but I was given 6 mo of Showtime as a perk and once it was activated I changed it to Starz myself via their site. Nothing came of it other than I got 6 mo free of Starz instead. While they said it was free Showtime, they didn't really seem to care how I used it because I swapped to yet another premium during a Starz free preview.

Ultimately the way it worked was that they gave me an extra premium for 6 months and I used it how I wished. To be on the safe side I never called, I just made the changes myself via their site.

YMMV

peace . . .

I received one of these Loyalty cards as well, but mine gave me a free year of Showtime and its associated channels. I personally find the programming on Showtime blows, I wish I would have got 3 free movies instead :lol:

I do appreciate the gesture from D* though.

PVR user since the late 1900's . . .

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

I only got 3 months of Showtime and I didn't find out about it until a month after it started.
I wonder if they will automatically turn it off this Thursday or start charging me?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

I believe it will be automatically turned off.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

These credits will just show up on your bill one per month for three months.

#11 OFFLINE   Altcool

Altcool

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

I hope they have fix this over at DTV but be ware. It happen to me. good luck with your HD Payperview

For my anniversary gift I received 3 pay per view movies. Customer since October 2004 Premier package. The part that makes me disappointed is the fact that my account credit is for only 3.99 when the Pay per view cost 4.99. I know what you’re going to say the HD version is 1 dollar more.

The disappointed part is the great marketing team at DTV has a wonderful HD PayPerView logo on my anniversary note. One would assume that you would be fully credited for the payperview you order that was advertised to you. So I guess I am just doing my part to give DTV and DBS talks a heads up, Because end the end the phone call to DTV is not wroth the $1 and I cant really be upset to get an HD pay per view for a buck, Like I said I am just disappointed.[ATTACH]16492[/ATTACH]

AU9 SWM16 HR21 HR23 HR24 HR24 H20 H24 H24 R22 D12 AM21
Wish List: HR44, SWM32

#12 OFFLINE   Bitgod

Bitgod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:51 AM

Hah, well that will be interesting then, I just ordered a HD PPV movie. I noticed the HD PPV logo next to the 3 free movies, and the thought did occur to me that they'd try to weasel something, but then I'd counter with the logo being there.

I already gave them some negative feedback on their thanks page regarding their current DVRs and how I had no complaints about Directv until I had to switch from the Tivos to the HR 21s. I thought this loyalty gifting was a good and simple way to generate good will, but if they end not not actually giving me 3 FREE PPV movies, then they've only shot themselves in the foot and given me another reason to look at other sources when my current commitment is over.

Oh yeah, had a question. So when you order a PPV on your DVR, is that movie only going to show up on that DVR, or does it show up on any, in my case, HD receiver in the house? I've got a 2nd HR21, it looks like the movie I ordered doesn't play on that one, I wanted to confirm if that's what should happen.
Refurbed HR21-100 w/ WD20EVDS in ThermalTake Dock

#13 OFFLINE   falken

falken

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:30 AM

Oh yeah, had a question. So when you order a PPV on your DVR, is that movie only going to show up on that DVR, or does it show up on any, in my case, HD receiver in the house? I've got a 2nd HR21, it looks like the movie I ordered doesn't play on that one, I wanted to confirm if that's what should happen.

If you order the PPV via the website or telephone all receivers on your account can play/record the PPV. If you order it via the remote it is only the box you ordered it from.

DirecTV Equipment
(1) AU9 | DirecTV Slimline 5LNB Dish
(1) WB68 | Zinwell 6x8 Multiswitch
(2) HR20-700 | DirecTV HD DVR (2 SAT, 1 OTA) - Owned
(1) HR20-100 | DirecTV HD DVR (2 SAT, 1 OTA) - Owned
(2) HR10-250 | DirecTV/TiVo HD DVR (2 SAT, 1 OTA) - Owned
AV Equipment
(1) Sony 60A2000 SXRD 60" HDTV
(1) Yamaha HTR-6090 Receiver
(1) SVSound SBS-01 Speaker System
(1) Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray Player
(1) Toshiba HD-A20 HD DVD Player

#14 OFFLINE   Bitgod

Bitgod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

If you order the PPV via the website or telephone all receivers on your account can play/record the PPV. If you order it via the remote it is only the box you ordered it from.

Ah, ok, that makes some sense, thanks.
Refurbed HR21-100 w/ WD20EVDS in ThermalTake Dock

Protected By... spam firewall...And...