Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Two Free Movie coupon's

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

I received in the mail the other day two free coupons to use in getting two PPV movies; they are both a $4.99 value did anyone else get these in the mail? If and when I do use them can I record the PPV movie to my hard drive on the VIP-622?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:33 PM

you sure they are completely free? No need to purchase anything? It would be the first time I hear of this generous giveaway from Dish...
If you don't want them send them my way! ;)

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

You can record PPV, but many PPVs now have an expiration date, based on when you first press Play. The movie studios figured out that people could order a movie, DVR it, and watch it forever. That was never the intention of PayPerView, so now PPVs give you a limited amount of time to watch. The time can vary, and will be listed on the order screen before you actually order.

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

you sure they are completely free? No need to purchase anything? It would be the first time I hear of this generous giveaway from Dish... ...

Yes, free. Not the first time by a long-shot. I associate them with an impending price increase as a way to soften the blow.

#5 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

A plus is you redeem them on-line, great especially if you are on auto-pay or pay online.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#6 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:48 PM

yep I got 'em too a couple days ago. It's been a while since the last time they sent me any of those, two or three years at least. I was thinking they probably sent them to me because it's been about a year since i've ordered any PPV, so I figured they were just trying to encourage that kind of behavior. :D

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#7 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

Did you get someone onto Dish with a ClubDish card? But they send 5 with that...
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#8 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

Actually, I had just signed up someone, so perhaps that was it. On the other hand, the back said "Exclusive offer for our best customers" which is what the computer voice tells me I am when I call Dish..
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#9 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

"Exclusive offer for our best customers"

That's what mine said too. I haven't signed anyone up via Club Dish for at least six months I would guess, so I doubt that was it. Plus i've gotten oh probably half a dozen or so people signed up via Club Dish over the years and the only time they sent me free PPV coupons was after the first one.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#10 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

That's what mine said too. I haven't signed anyone up via Club Dish for at least six months I would guess, so I doubt that was it. ...

I have never signed anyone up - and I don't do Pay Per View as I belong to Netflix. Got two of the coupons, however.

#11 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

I haven't received one of those in years, however I got something better: $3 off per month from DVR Advantage + $10 per month "loyalty" reward. That's a total of $13 per month for 12 months.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#12 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

Yes, free. Not the first time by a long-shot. I associate them with an impending price increase as a way to soften the blow.

Yep, I think I've gotten two of them just about everytime they bump prices and mine also says "Thank you for being one of our best customers!" which is probably everyone who pays >$80 a month and is on autopay and paperless billing to further reduce their costs.

The bad part is I've never used one of them because they're only good for $4.99, the HD PPVs are $5.99 and any of the movies I want to watch I've usually already rented on BD from Netflix.

#13 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

They will still give you credit for the $4.99 so the HD ends up costing only $1.00.

#14 OFFLINE   calgary2800

calgary2800

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

They will still give you credit for the $4.99 so the HD ends up costing only $1.00.

I am not going to take a chance on that. You know red tape. Dish will probably say " its 5.99 not 4.99. you pay full price". I ripped up my coupons.

#15 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:53 AM

I am not going to take a chance on that. You know red tape. Dish will probably say " its 5.99 not 4.99. you pay full price". I ripped up my coupons.

Actually I don't think anyone pays that close attention. As long as you send in the coupon (or I guess you can do it online now) and they check your account to see you ordered a PPV they just give you the credit. The last time I had coupons (the five for initial Club Dish signee) they would just give me full credit for what the coupon was worth (I think it was 3.99) then no matter what the price of the PPV I ordered. I remember this because I think couple of the movies I ordered were 1.99 and 2.99 specials and I was wondering how they'd handle the coupon and in every case they just gave me a credit for the full value of the coupon. So yeah i'm pretty sure you can watch HD movies for $1.00 with these coupons, because they'll just redeem them for their face value. I know that's how I plan to use them. The people's who's job it is to redeem the coupons (and heck online it's probably just automated) aren't paid enough to be "the coupon police" and check and make sure that the coupon actually equals the charge for the PPV, even if there were a policy that said otherwise and I doubt there is anyway.

#16 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

The only thing that I did lately was to contact them to tell them how disappointed I am at losing the Smithsonian channel and saying I was think of going to Direct TV after 13 years being with Dish Network. I don’t know, maybe that triggered the coupons. I never received anything like this in the mail from Dish Network, nor have I received a reply to my email.

#17 OFFLINE   cumberlandredskin

cumberlandredskin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

I haven't got any. I must not be a valued customer even though I have been with them since 2001 and paid my bills on time.

#18 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

They do apply to HD Pay Per View. You ripped up $9.98. :rolleyes:

#19 OFFLINE   TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

Yep, I think I've gotten two of them just about everytime they bump prices and mine also says "Thank you for being one of our best customers!" which is probably everyone who pays >$80 a month and is on autopay and paperless billing to further reduce their costs.

The bad part is I've never used one of them because they're only good for $4.99, the HD PPVs are $5.99 and any of the movies I want to watch I've usually already rented on BD from Netflix.

bobukcat
Are you saying you're on paperless billing and got the coupons? If so, did they come in the mail, or did you find them online? I've been a Dish customer about 13 years and am on the paperless system, so I'm wondering if I got passed over or if I'm not looking in the right place.

#20 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

I sent my coupons in and they gave me credit even though the rentals did not show on my bill. Come to find out my modem had died and the rentals weren't being phoned in.

spam firewall