Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Losing a local channel through the 612

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ozarkham

ozarkham

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:11 PM

I have a 612 receiver and live in the Springfield, MO local market. When I tune my 612 to local channels 021-1, 021-2 or 021-3 they all show 90% signal for about 3 seconds and then drop to zero. I do not have this problem with the other local digital channels and if I switch to view the channels directly from my HDTV tuner (same antenna) or from another TV with a converter box with rabbit ears the 21 stations stay at a strong signal. I called E* and they concluded that my TV tuner is better then the tuner in the 612. Anyone else experiencing this? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jalexand

jalexand

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

Yes I am having that same exact issue. I can pick up all the channels just fine with my TV but when I have the antenna connected to my ViP 612 I get the same results as you do. I don't have a clue how to fix it. I've tried every combination of amp's and connections that I can think of.

jason

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,597 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

Have you tried re-scanning the channels? Perhaps the station in question has already transitioned to a new frequency.

#4 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

Before you rescan. Remove all of the old channels.Then rescan.

#5 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

I've tried this a number of times. I've even called dish tech support and have not been able to get this resolved. I can watch the same channels on my 211k in my bedroom with no drop outs at all.

Ken

#6 OFFLINE   ozarkham

ozarkham

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Yes. I've deleted all and then added them back. No change. I knew I was in trouble with tech support when they told me the Springfield market was not digital. This was after I said the problem was with 021-1, 021-2, 021-3 which are clearly digital channels.

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

Have these channels ever worked? Kstevens and jalexand. Are you guys referring to the same channel? I see two possibilities.

#1 - Multipathing. What you describes sounds like what 622/722 receivers do when they run into a multi-pathing issue.
#2 - Something in the PSIP stream that the 612 does not like.

Oh.. as for the scanning. what I would suggest.

Disconnect your OTA.
Delete all OTA channels
Exit out of your local HD screen. All the way back to the picture.
Go back to your OTA screen. Do a scan to make sure nothing shows up.
Reconnect your OTA.
Go back to your OTA screen. Do a scan.

If it still does not help. I would suspect #1 or #2. OTA is an art. Just because one configuration works will not result in another one working.

The other thing I would suggest. Go to your local HD area at AVSForum and see if anyone else is experiencing issues with this channel in particular. Might provide clues or more evidence if you need to contact the local station.

Edited by Ron Barry, 10 February 2009 - 08:01 PM.

<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#8 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

If you guys are having the issue with the same channel, then most likely there is a corrupted stream of data. Did the TV station recently change channels or change to a different transmitter? Call the station and let them know that only their channel is the problem. Generally the engineers will check for the problem and might even find and correct it! one thing is true, not all ATSC tuners are equal and the ViP612 is not as good as others. However the tuner is set to standards and should work properly if problems like multi-path are removed.

#9 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:35 AM

Have these channels ever worked? Kstevens and jalexand. Are you guys referring to the same channel? I see two possibilities.

#1 - Multipathing. What you describes sounds like what 622/722 receivers do when they run into a multi-pathing issue.

Disconnect your OTA.
Delete all OTA channels
Reconnect your OTA.

If it still does not help. I would suspect #1 or #2. OTA is an art. Just because one configuration works will not result in another one working.

The other thing I would suggest. Go to your local HD area at AVSForum and see if anyone else is experiencing issues with this channel in particular. Might provide clues or more evidence if you need to contact the local station.

I'm in a different market in South Carolina, with the same symptoms. This has occurred since I got my 612.
Ken

#10 OFFLINE   ozarkham

ozarkham

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

If you guys are having the issue with the same channel, then most likely there is a corrupted stream of data. Did the TV station recently change channels or change to a different transmitter? Call the station and let them know that only their channel is the problem. Generally the engineers will check for the problem and might even find and correct it! one thing is true, not all ATSC tuners are equal and the ViP612 is not as good as others. However the tuner is set to standards and should work properly if problems like multi-path are removed.

This is only occurring when I attempt to view the station through the 612 receiver. The stations view fine through the turner on my HDTV tuner or on another TV with a converter box. This leads me to believe it's an issue with the 612 receiver.

#11 OFFLINE   ozarkham

ozarkham

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:58 AM

Disconnect your OTA.
Delete all OTA channels
Reconnect your OTA.

Deleted and re-added the channels and no change. I'm not familiar with "Multipathing". Can you explain? Thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

This is only occurring when I attempt to view the station through the 612 receiver. The stations view fine through the turner on my HDTV tuner or on another TV with a converter box. This leads me to believe it's an issue with the 612 receiver.

Leads one to believe but does not necessary mean it is the case. There have been other situations where other tuners work fine but the Dish tuner has an issue. In some cases it is the receiver, but other cases it has been issues with the stream data and the Dish implementation is just a bit pickier about it being right. I personally have seen at least 3 or 4 cases over the years where this has happened. Boylehome's suggestion is exactly what I was trying to say on one of my possibilities. Best to try and rule that out.

So was this working and suddenly stopped or has always been that way?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

I am definitely not an OTA expert. My understanding is multipathing is when the signal reflects off objects causing the same signal to reach the antenna from multiple paths. You can try to address it by using a directional antenna, repositioning the antenna, or relocating the antenna.

I am sure people more versed in this area will chime in, but like I said a good place to go is the AVSForum area to see what people are saying out your local channels.

#14 OFFLINE   ozarkham

ozarkham

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

So was this working and suddenly stopped or has always been that way?[/QUOTE]

It was working when I got the 612 installed several months ago. Seems to have started in the past month.

#15 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

Then I definitely would contact the local station. There has not been an update to the 612 in the last month. Most likely something changed on the other end that the 612 does not like. This would also make the multi-pathing less likely but still a possibility if the antenna someone got moved or some other external influence created it.

Most likely possibility in my mind is a station change.

#16 OFFLINE   ozarkham

ozarkham

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Success :) I unconnected the OTA antenna that was connected to the 612 (it's an directional antenna in the attic). I then connected rabbit ears to the 612 and rescanned the locals. The PBS stations that were dropping off are now staying. When I get a chance I'm going to try to reposition the attic antenna to see if that fixes whatever is causing the signal drop from that antenna.

#17 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

Success :) I unconnected the OTA antenna that was connected to the 612 (it's an directional antenna in the attic). I then connected rabbit ears to the 612 and rescanned the locals. The PBS stations that were dropping off are now staying. When I get a chance I'm going to try to reposition the attic antenna to see if that fixes whatever is causing the signal drop from that antenna.

BINGO! Your antenna is off-axis for this station. A slight re-point should resolve the issue.

As a veteran user of Echostar's ATSC tuners (921 & 942) I have nothing but praise for the one on my current 622. I presume the 612 has a similar tuner. It's more robust than the older models. I had an A/B/C situation (i.e. 2 A/B switches in tandem) in order to get all my OTA signals. With the 622 I just aim my Silver Sensor at the farthest station (57 miles OOM), which is 180 degrees +/- 45 degrees :eek2: from the nearest stations and get a lock on just about everything without having to switch. A 90 degree off-axis signal OTOH will disappear, but everything else comes in.

Another possibility, since you mentioned other tuners getting a lock on this station (presumably with the same antenna) is that you are losing the signal in your cabling by the time it reaches your 612. Try replacing any splitters in the line.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#18 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:28 AM

Make sure the input on 612 is set to antenna, some how my 612 changed to cable
This finger was not made to press 1 for english

spam firewall