Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hughes Direct Tivo 2 SLOW guide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gator2

gator2

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 02:08 PM

:( I just received my new Hughes Direct Tivo Series II. I love the tivo functions but why is the programming guide SO SLOW? The box the receiver comes in says it has a 32 bit processor for faster guide speed. If this is faster I would hate to see what they consider slow. I have only had my receiver for a day.....does anyone know if it speeds up over time or after it completely downloads all the program info......Please let me know, this is a little disappointing and aggravating to do something simple like channel surf. Thanks for replies...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 05:28 PM

:( I have only had my receiver for a day.....does anyone know if it speeds up over time or after it completely downloads all the program info

Just have some patience & after a couple days, it'll speed up - yes, it does take a day or two to completely download & index the guide. ;) ;)

#3 OFFLINE   Nodnarb

Nodnarb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 05:38 AM

Just have some patience & after a couple days, it'll speed up - yes, it does take a day or two to completely download & index the guide. ;) ;)

Ditto... Mine works just fine once it's fully downloaded.

Do you have a modified/upgraded receiver? When I added the second hard drive to my HDVR2, it slowed down a little as the first drive fills up and it starts writing to the second one.

#4 OFFLINE   Mark

Mark

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 08:26 PM

Just have some patience???

What is that!
Hike high mountains,
Fish for wild trout.

#5 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 08:30 PM

i really want one but i heard if you get one you have to sign another years contract Is that true
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#6 OFFLINE   Jtater

Jtater

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 10:09 PM

Yeah any time you add a new receiver you get a new one year contract. Don't worry though once you get the Tivo you will be around for more than a year. Tivo revolutionizes you service, take the plunge you won't regret it.

#7 OFFLINE   LarryS

LarryS

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:12 PM

Be sure to try the guide style Tivo Live rather than the DirecTV grid. The Tivo style is much quicker although not as artistic. Also once the Tivo gets recordings going you'll be doing much less channel surfing. While in the guide press the info button for these options.

#8 OFFLINE   Jtater

Jtater

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:24 PM

Yeah the Tivo live guide is faster but I'm not sure I like it. Ive been back and forth between the two.

#9 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:17 AM

You'll find the Tivo tends to be much slower than the Dish PVRs. But they're still so much better. Delays come in the reprioritising of shows, some deletions, selecting different shows and the Guide. Finally, "Save Until I Delete" takes a while.
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#10 OFFLINE   arw4f

arw4f

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 10:14 AM

Just have some patience & after a couple days, it'll speed up - yes, it does take a day or two to completely download & index the guide.

Well, I've had mine for a couple weeks and the DirecTV Grid option is still rediculously slow! Until I memorize some of the channel numbers, I will need to scroll through the guide to find what I want. Or if I just want to browse - the guide is just too slow. The Tive Live Guide is a little better, but you can't see future shows on all channels at once...just on the one that is selected.

Does anyone know any tricks to speed this up?!

#11 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 11:02 PM

No. As mentioned the DirecTV style guide is dog slow. There is nothing you can do about it. Tivo's were not build with "surfing" in mind. Season pass everything and you won't surf much anymore. Tivo style guide rocks once you get used to it. It gives you a quick showing of the next 8+ hours per channel. Makes it very nice to see what is coming up and record it. Very nice, especially for movies. If I don't feel like doing the search I'll just scan through all the movie channels and can quickly find a few movies to record. It really annoys me to go to a standard DirecTV box and have to use that guide vs. the Tivo style guide. But then I never watch live TV other then sports (and even that is delayed to avoid commercials).

#12 OFFLINE   ddobson

ddobson

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 08:57 AM

Yeah the Tivo live guide is faster but I'm not sure I like it. Ive been back and forth between the two.

I bought the Hughes TIVO last month and agree, the DirecTV grid guide is pathetically slow compared to just moving through the guide on my RCA 486. It was explained to me by Hughes Techs that this is because the guide data is actually stored on the hard drive on the TIVO as compared to memory on the other receivers. The reason for this makes a lot of sense after they explained it but I don't feel like typing that much here.

Anyway I have noticed the guide is a little faster when nothing is being recorded. I've heard that when the "c" software loads that the guide might actually be a little faster but not like other receivers.

After using the TIVO guide for a couple of weeks I've gotten where I like it better but the rest of the family still uses the grid.

GOOD NEWS: After having TIVO a couple of weeks and setting up the programs you want to watch on season passes, you'll find yourself using the guide much less because you don't watch all that much live television!

This bothered me for a little while but not that much anymore. Having a TIVO also changed my declining opinion of DirecTV. Doesn't bother me as much now that they don't have some channels I want. There's always something good to watch when I have the time.

#13 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:07 PM

I have a SA Series 2 Tivo, and the grid guide on that is slow as well. I've found the Tivo guide to be better though, you can look up 6 hours into the future with the tivo guide.

#14 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,887 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:36 PM

It could be the way the data is stored on the drive. Remember, the TiVo is either recording or bufferring two channels at once. Dish's DVR guide on the hard drive was much faster.

It could be how the systems were implemented. From my impressions of both Dish's 501 and my HDVR2 receiver, it appears that the 501 is a standard receiver with DVR functionality bolted on. The DirecTiVo, on the other hand, is like a standalone TiVo, only with the DirecTV receiver functionality bolted on.

IMHO: The DirecTiVo is a terrible standalone receiver. My mother's receivers, a HBH-SA, is much better. But, as a DVR, the DirecTiVo is great. Now, if DirecTV and TiVo would cooperate better in rolling out improvements.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#15 OFFLINE   fareal

fareal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 01:13 PM

I leave my guide on the DirecTV grid but instead of clicking up and down one channel at a time, I page up and down with the channel up and down buttons. This makes the guide seem faster because you're reading a page at a time versus waiting for each and every single channel.

I use the TiVo guide style when I'm searching one particular channel.

#16 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 02:00 PM

I use the TiVo style guide. With the focus on the left side you can scroll up and down the channel list and see a whole lot more of what's coming up than the DirecTV grid style shows. If you use the Ch+/- buttons you can scroll a page at a time. If you use the FF and Rew buttons while in the left pane it changes the time and if in the right pane it changes the highlighted channel.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#17 OFFLINE   fx72

fx72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:37 AM

Does anyone have any experience or information about this addon?

http://www.9thtee.co...vocachecard.htm

It looks like a good option to speed up your system and have network access to your Tivo.

#18 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:10 AM

If you have an HDVR2 (Series 2 DTivo), I don't believe this can work. I think it's only for Series 1.
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#19 OFFLINE   Neutron

Neutron

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:07 AM

From what I've seen there aren't too many upgrades besides a hard drive upgrade for the series 2. They took out the expansion port that was in the series 1's, making them not as upgradeable.
D* subscriber 3/04 on
E* subscriber 7/02 to 3/04

Arcade Caretaker at Satelliteguys.us

#20 Guest_nughaud_*

Guest_nughaud_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 07:11 PM

From what I've seen there aren't too many upgrades besides a hard drive upgrade for the series 2. They took out the expansion port that was in the series 1's, making them not as upgradeable.

TRUE, but we have USB ports, I would love someone to be able to edit the code and allow for say a 128 meg USB or 256 etc drive to be plugged in, and have that used for the menu etc.

Right now with 2 drives in my HDVR2, the system is pathetically slow... I can hit the back arrow button on the tivo while a recorded movie is playing and sometimes it takes 5-10 seconds before it takes me out and asks if I want to resume playing... oh and if I delete something... that's 10 secs.. I rarely use the Guide, because I watched recorded programs, I have a HD Receiver I use for live stuff.... it's JUST SLOW! plain and simple, and it doesn't get any better... the TIVO guide might help if you are using the guide, but my problems are with the TIVO system itself.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...