Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Obama Signs DTV-Delay Bill

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

President Barack Obama has signed the bill extending the DTV date from Feb. 17 to June 12.
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/11/2009 2:58:26 PM MT

http://www.broadcast..._Delay_Bill.php

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Excellent find, joblo! Thomas (the congressional site) and the Whitehouse blog still don't have it yet. :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hopefully they can find a way to get the converters out to those that need them by mid-June.

#4 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

WooHoo, I guess 97% of the people knowing about the DTV transition is just not good enough. :nono2:
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#5 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

There are 19 markets where all four major network affiliates want to switch on that date
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/11/2009 2:33:17 PM MT

The FCC has just released some breakdowns of stations that asked to pull the plug on analog service Feb. 17. ...

http://www.broadcast...k_To_Feb_17.php

====
I don't see this on the FCC's web site. Maybe it will show up later, or maybe I am not looking in the right place. --joblo

#6 OFFLINE   hdfan1

hdfan1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

There are 19 markets where all four major network affiliates want to switch on that date
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/11/2009 2:33:17 PM MT

The FCC has just released some breakdowns of stations that asked to pull the plug on analog service Feb. 17. ...

http://www.broadcast...k_To_Feb_17.php

====
I don't see this on the FCC's web site. Maybe it will show up later, or maybe I am not looking in the right place. --joblo

I know Dayton, OH is one of those 19 markets. All 4 networks and PBS have all announced they will switch on Feb. 17th unless the FCC does not allow it.

#7 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

I guess good for those that still need to get their gear.

The stupid thing IMO is that most people that have not changed over yet are:

-Those that were just sandbagging, then saw all this news about the delay, and decided to act and get the stuff they needed.
-Those that knew and are just procrastinating until it finally is turned off
-Those that are confused and have not done anything and will continue to not do anything until their picture goes away and they are forced too.

IMO most people did/do not need more time, they just need things to go dark to finally be forced to do something.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#8 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

I guess good for those that still need to get their gear.

IMO most people did/do not need more time, they just need things to go dark to finally be forced to do something.

Totally agree. While taking action to stop some stations from shutting down, the FCC should encourage some major stations to shut down analogue in markets that no majors are shutting down. This, I believe, will do more to getting the point across than anything else. Other wise those markets that every station is waiting will be in the same mess down the road. The possible lose of a few viewers has the stations in some markets running scared.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#9 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

I know Dayton, OH is one of those 19 markets. All 4 networks and PBS have all announced they will switch on Feb. 17th unless the FCC does not allow it.

If the FCC comes in and says that one of those stations has to stay on, will the other stations cave and not shut down for fear of losing viewers?

#10 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

If the FCC comes in and says that one of those stations has to stay on, will the other stations cave and not shut down for fear of losing viewers?

Well, it sure seems like the FCC would have to offer all stations the option...

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,928 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

There is nothing to see here. We all made our points during each of the bill stages during the past month. Why new points are there to raise? We just get to watch the aftermath and say, "We told you so."
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#12 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

I haven't seen it discussed, but doesn't the delay favor the big networks and large broadcasting conglomerates at the expense of the smaller independent broadcasters?

Most posters seem to think that all broadcasters are opposed to the delay due to the increased expenses of continuing analog broadcasts. However, for the big networks, these costs are really small potatoes compared to their overall operating costs. For them, the delay is an opportunity to gain market share from smaller competitors who can't afford to continue analog broadcasts. Furthermore, between the additional expense of continuing to broadcast and the prospect of losing market share, many of the smaller broadcasters are likely to fail in these tough economic times. This presents the large conglomerates with opportunities to buy them up and expand their own business or at least to face reduced competition. It seems to me that this is why the big networks were so quick to jump onto the "delay" bandwagon and why the NAB ultimately gave its endorsement to the bill.

Unfortunately, it's the smaller stations and ultimately the viewing public who pay for it all in the end.

#13 OFFLINE   slowmoe

slowmoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

What is wrong with our government? They set a date. Tell us the sky is falling if we use OTA. Then change it. Oh boy more commercials. Witch I find mis-leading from the start. Some commercials made it sound that if I was using OTA I would loose my signal with no converter or set top box. I never really heard if I have a digital set I was ok. I sort felt sorry for those that are not in the know like must of us here.

#14 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

YEAH! I can't wait till they want to delay again come late May early June.... :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   MarkMac

MarkMac

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

Has anyone seen any estimates of how much $$ this delay is going to cost?

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,242 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

http://www.broadcast...iple_Digits.php

FCC: Stations Not Allowed To Go All-Digital Feb. 17 Could Hit Triple Digits

Acting FCC Chairman Michael Copps would not pin down when the FCC would let the 491 stations wanting to pull the plug on analog Feb. 17 know whether they will be able to or not, but some guidance could be coming out later today, he said.
Copps aide Rick Chessen said that the number of stations in vulnerable markets where the FCC could prohibit them from pulling the plug could be anywhere from low double-digits to triple digits.

Copps said that he was pleased that almost two-thirds of stations planned to remain on in analog.

The FCC is currently vetting those 491 requests to see what stations in vulnerable markets may have to stay on in analog. Copps said those markets would probably be smaller to mid-sized, pointing out that some broadcast groups have stepped up to help insure that most of the big markets were covered. "The larger markets, where we have O&O's, thanks again to the wise decision and the public interest decision of the major networks, there will continue to be analog broadcasting."

#17 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

Has anyone seen any estimates of how much $$ this delay is going to cost?

Lou Dobbs guesstimated about 300 million dollars.

#18 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

Compromise Reached On Stimulus Bill
DTV-to-analog converter box coupon program is closer to getting the money it needs

By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/11/2009 4:42:29 PM MT

http://www.broadcast...imulus_Bill.php

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

<moderator note>
Please remember we do not allow political commentary at DBStalk. If you start with a phrase "not to be political" or "sorry if this is political" you might as well not post it. You'll likely get an infraction.

#20 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

Compromise Reached On Stimulus Bill
DTV-to-analog converter box coupon program is closer to getting the money it needs

By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/11/2009 4:42:29 PM MT

Too bad they didn't do this 2-3 months ago, by which time it was alrady obvious the coupon program was going to run out of money.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...