Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Obama Signs DTV-Delay Bill

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

For better or worse - at least the confusion will be over with for now...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

For better or worse - at least the confusion will be over with for now...

Until we find out which "low two digit to three digit" count of stations don't get to turn off their analogs. :(

#23 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Obama signing the bill:

Posted Image

http://www.google.co...DcsR-J3a8YRYIcQ

#24 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

wait.. we are switching to digital???? whoa when did that come up? I've been busy building my Heathkit TV.
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#25 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

This 11th hour (Mod Edit:Language) is for the birds.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 12 February 2009 - 08:01 AM.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

THE FCC HAS SPOKEN: In part ...

In contrast to the stations remaining on the air and those that have previously terminated analog service or complied with the Third DTV Periodic Report and Order procedures to terminate analog service before February 17th, we have identified 123 stations of the 491 intending to terminate analog service on February 17th whose early termination poses a significant risk of substantial public harm.

. . .

Accordingly, we hereby reconsider the partial waiver granted by the February 5th Public Notice to those stations listed on the Appendix attached to this Public Notice. These stations are, therefore, not permitted to terminate their analog service on February 17th, unless they comply with the conditions and procedures described below.

. . .

Stations listed in the Appendix to this Public Notice may obtain reinstatement of the waiver necessary for them to terminate analog service on February 17, 2009 by certifying to the Commission, not later than the close of business (6:00 pm EST) on Friday, February 13th, that they will individually undertake the measures specified herein as a means of ameliorating the public interest harms that the termination of their analog service would engender. We also encourage stations in the markets listed in the Appendix to cooperate and undertake the actions on a joint basis. Each station should certify in response to this Public Notice its compliance with the following eight measures. These certifications will reflect that the station is undertaking the action individually or that they have confirmed that another station will do so.

Public Notice: http://hraunfoss.fcc.../FCC-09-7A1.pdf

Station List: http://hraunfoss.fcc.../FCC-09-7A2.pdf

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

The good news is 368 stations are approved. The bad news is for the 123 stations who have to make a showing by Friday, 6pm ET.

It isn't a hard showing ... just "proof" that some sort of nightlight service will be provided by one or more of the stations in the market. Still just one more hurdle to being able to do what all stations have been planning to do for years.

BTW: My market was spared. No full power analog TV after February 17th. Two stations are nightlighting which is probably what saved us.
Correction: Small print. We're not spared. :(

#28 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:59 AM

No market was spared.

The only DMAs that will be newly without full power service or 60 days enhanced nightlight will be St. Joseph, MO, presumably because it is in the Kansas City contour, and Zanesville, OH, presumably because it is in the Columbus contour.

#29 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:26 AM

In the Cleveland/Akron market only channel 67 in Canton has permission to shut analog off on Feb 17. The story quotes the FCC as reporting 62% of analog stations will delay the Feb 17 shut down(38% will shut on Feb 17). Some may shutdown after March 14.
http://www.cleveland...8350.xml&coll=2
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#30 OFFLINE   neljtorres

neljtorres

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:31 AM

And the things is that they will be another delay! People on June still will not be ready!

#31 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:53 AM

I saw an older couple (Mid to late 70s) in a Circuit City asking about these boxes. They were asking how to set it up. I offered and hooked it up for them, their children (in their 50's) don't live in the state, and they really do not have any one to do this. These are the folks this is to protect, this is why I get mad when all the bashing about this bill starts.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#32 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hopefully they can find a way to get the converters out to those that need them by mid-June.

What do you mean by mid june? Alot of stations are still changing now. Really this did not prevent much. Its more sad then anything now. Some people will lose some channles but not all. My market has CBS and FOX moving to digital on the normal cut off date and ABC as well as NBC moving later on. What kind of a message is that for a market? You will lose all FOX and CBS programming but not NBC and ABC. Its gonna be weird. I been ready for this for 2 months. Got my DVR (HR20-100) and an antenna already but now have to wait for NBC and ABC. How frustrating.

#33 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,437 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

There is nothing to see here. We all made our points during each of the bill stages during the past month. Why new points are there to raise? We just get to watch the aftermath and say, "We told you so."

+1

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#34 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

YEAH! I can't wait till they want to delay again come late May early June.... :lol:

let's not go there..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#35 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

No market was spared.

The only DMAs that will be newly without full power service or 60 days enhanced nightlight will be St. Joseph, MO, presumably because it is in the Kansas City contour, and Zanesville, OH, presumably because it is in the Columbus contour.

Turns out Zanesville singleton turned off analog last year and St. Joseph's inclusion on the original list appears to be an error.

So scratch previous speculation. No market was spared.

#36 OFFLINE   Mindhaz

Mindhaz

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:22 AM

I thought a lot of channels were moving from VHF to UHF. My understanding was that the lower VHF band was going to be used for other purposes. Channels 7-13 that are strong enough can easily be picked up with a UHF antenna in my location... I'm getting 10 (old 4) now.

I recently learned that 5 (Digital 56) is moving back to 5 here in Nashville. On the other hand 2 (Digital 26) is staying at the new assignment. The local PBS is moving back to its current position of 8 as well.

So I'm SOL on the UHF antenna I purchased a year or so back come June (so much for being proactive). Of course I really won't know until June what I'll get.

Does anyone know what got freed up?

#37 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,973 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

They made all 4 of my market's stations stay on.

How long until the lawsuit is filed? The bill (law) gives them the right to terminate, but it is the FCC that has told them no. I see a federal court being involved with this before Tuesday.

#38 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hopefully they can find a way to get the converters out to those that need them by mid-June.

Oh, please, the word about the transition has been going out over every conceivable type of media for months and come 6.12.09 there will still be those who still don't get it. And then what? Delay it again if there are 57 people in the US without converter boxes? Get AARP involved, that might help. Don't rip me for my last comment, I'm 71 and retired and not a an AARP member.

#39 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:29 AM

I've said it before, it turns out that middle-class retirees are not the largest group of people who are unprepared for the transition.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#40 OFFLINE   intelisevil

intelisevil

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:35 AM

I guess good for those that still need to get their gear.

The stupid thing IMO is that most people that have not changed over yet are:

-Those that were just sandbagging, then saw all this news about the delay, and decided to act and get the stuff they needed.
-Those that knew and are just procrastinating until it finally is turned off
-Those that are confused and have not done anything and will continue to not do anything until their picture goes away and they are forced too.

IMO most people did/do not need more time, they just need things to go dark to finally be forced to do something.

You forgot those who don't know about it because their electricity has been turned off for non payment . . . :rolleyes:

spam firewall