Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Obama Signs DTV-Delay Bill

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   cmtar

cmtar

Icon

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

All locals in my area are switching to digital on the 17th also.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

All locals in my area are switching to digital on the 17th also.

Where might that be?
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

I've said it before, it turns out that middle-class retirees are not the largest group of people who are unprepared for the transition.

In the last thread months ago on this subject I said that I couldn't imagine a new president allowing the digital switch in February. The Man just walks into his office and sees the probability of yet another nightmare left to him by the previous administration. This is no surprise. Let them concentrate on the important things, like the economy which allows us to have this wonderful satellite service.

And, I bet in four more months, those same folks who aren't ready for the switch, still won't be ready. I plan to go to the Senior Center in my town then and volunteer to help folks hook up the needed equipment. I listen to the people at the stores and most of the people who are asking what to do have no clue. And at BB, of course, those vultures will happily send out the Geek Squad to install the boxes for people. At an exorbitant price of course.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

I made sure my family here is ready... They all have DIRECTV. :) (Ok there is the one that manages to get a super deal on comcast every 3 months. As soon as those stop she's already set to switch.)

Did help hook up an extra receiver or two for the family.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#45 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

These are the folks this is to protect, this is why I get mad when all the bashing about this bill starts.

Protect? From what? No TV for a few days/weeks until they figure it out.

It's only TV.

Compared to the potential loss of jobs to pay for unbudgeted expenses that come with the delay.

That is why I get "mad".

Edited by Kansas Zephyr, 12 February 2009 - 04:10 PM.

5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#46 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

I saw an older couple (Mid to late 70s) in a Circuit City asking about these boxes. They were asking how to set it up. I offered and hooked it up for them, their children (in their 50's) don't live in the state, and they really do not have any one to do this. These are the folks this is to protect, this is why I get mad when all the bashing about this bill starts.

I sort of agree, however, this probably happened recently, when it should have happened months ago. Most People wait until the last minute with everything. If they would have shut off the analogs when they said(pounded really) they would(and boy did they say it by the countless crawls, commercials, ads etc for ever)people would finally realize that the last minute is here.

#47 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

I thought a lot of channels were moving from VHF to UHF. My understanding was that the lower VHF band was going to be used for other purposes.

Lower VHF (2-6) remains allocated to television, but relatively few will use those channels digitally.

Does anyone know what got freed up?

Channels 52-69 ("700 nmhz spectrum") will be reallocated for other uses

A list of the final post transistion actual physical channel assignments can be found here (I think this is the current list)
http://hraunfoss.fcc...CC-07-138A2.pdf

Edited by tkrandall, 12 February 2009 - 04:08 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

No problemo! Just rip the guts out of a converter box and stuff it in the cabinet! Should be plenty of room. I believe the Heath TV was one of the only ones ever made that had the ability to turn an antenna rotor to whatever station was selected. Wish Channel Master had a converter box that could talk to my Channel Master rotor via USB or something.

#49 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

The good news is 368 stations are approved. The bad news is for the 123 stations who have to make a showing by Friday, 6pm ET.(

Not all those 123 will be required to stay on, only enough to satisfy the "public good". I can not help but believe that those markets where all the big 4 decided to shut down, that those stations were all in agreement to do it. If the FCC directs one or two per DMA not to shut down, many to the others may also decide not to shut down. How that plays out will be interesting.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#50 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,250 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

Not all those 123 will be required to stay on, only enough to satisfy the "public good". I can not help but believe that those markets where all the big 4 decided to shut down, that those stations were all in agreement to do it. If the FCC directs one or two per DMA not to shut down, many to the others may also decide not to shut down. How that plays out will be interesting.

The FCC was kind enough to decline all major networks requesting February 17th shutdown in markets where any were denied. Stations that had February 16th or earlier shutdown dates were left alone.

In order to satisfy the "public good" a 60 day nightlight, staffed walk in center and other concessions are required. It will be interesting to see how many of the 123 fight, how many shut down and how many comply. Filings due in 23 hours ...

#51 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

The FCC was kind enough to decline all major networks requesting February 17th shutdown in markets where any were denied. Stations that had February 16th or earlier shutdown dates were left alone.

In order to satisfy the "public good" a 60 day nightlight, staffed walk in center and other concessions are required. It will be interesting to see how many of the 123 fight, how many shut down and how many comply. Filings due in 23 hours ...

After rereading the PN, I see that your are absolutely correct. I did not think they would be so heavy handed. I do not believe many will fight it unless they are in dire financial trouble or major contractural problems.

#52 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

Best Buy wants to annoy you into a converter box, takes the DTV PSAs in-store

http://www.engadgeth...-takes-the-dtv/

#53 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

President Barack Obama has signed the bill extending the DTV date from Feb. 17 to June 12.
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/11/2009 2:58:26 PM MT

http://www.broadcast..._Delay_Bill.php

I have 2 word in response.. Un-freakin' believable.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#54 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

This is about people who own perfectly functioning TVs that will become non-functioning because our government decided to make them non-functional. That coupled with a poorly conceived and poorly implemented transition scheme.

At no time did the government advertise that anyone who needed a converter box should apply months ahead of the transition because the government would run out of coupons.

Remember the people who do not derive a benefit from digital transmissions are the ones who have to pay the price because of the government's actions when the government runs out of coupons.

So, go ahead. Blame people who neither have cable or sat TV, nor digital Tvs for the transition delay until more people get converter boxes--its their fault their TVs won't work.

Bob
Bob, a novice in electronics.

#55 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

There are things that become obsolete every day.

The analog cell phone
The Bata Max
The VCR (very soon)
Blue Ray wants to make the DVD obsolete

Has there been or will there ever be a coupon program for these things? I quess it can be said that it all the governments fault. We must remember that with the advances in technology, and the need for more and better emergency communications, bandwidth needed to be freed up. The TV digital transition will open up a lot of bandwidth so the fireman can get to your burning house faster or you can watch a ball game on a handheld device or you can have low cost or free internet while you are sitting in the park. Digital TV also allows us to have HD TV which would not be possible with the current analog. Most can afford a $50.00 converter but they had rather wait for the handout and jam up the coupon program so that those that really need them have to wait.

#56 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,818 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

This is about people who own perfectly functioning TVs that will become non-functioning because our government decided to make them non-functional. That coupled with a poorly conceived and poorly implemented transition scheme.

At no time did the government advertise that anyone who needed a converter box should apply months ahead of the transition because the government would run out of coupons.

Remember the people who do not derive a benefit from digital transmissions are the ones who have to pay the price because of the government's actions when the government runs out of coupons.

So, go ahead. Blame people who neither have cable or sat TV, nor digital Tvs for the transition delay until more people get converter boxes--its their fault their TVs won't work.

Bob

No it's not, but I am not going to discuss it further.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#57 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,250 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:05 AM

Should I throw out all of my old TVs next Wednesday? I'm sure that my TVs will have some function. "Non-functioning" is an exaggerated over statement.

The government has been telling people to get their coupons for more than a year. Perhaps there could have been more clarity of "get your coupons before they run out" but the coupon program rules and limits are not secret.

So there is zero benefit for people who bought their own boxes? Is the only benefit you see of the entire program $40 off a $60 box?

I could understand if you thought there was no benefit to anyone without a HD set or no benefit to people without OTA TV. But no benefit for people who didn't happen to get coupons?

There has been plenty of warning and we all know that it takes an emergency to get some people to respond to even more important warnings than "your TV needs a converter or you will only see static".

There needs to be a role for personal responsibility.

#58 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:05 AM

Don't lie! my tv has no fm tuner in it but I can pick up 89.3 when I tune to channel 6! that means channel 6 in cincinnati will be analog for life?
when is that radio station transitioning to digital?

#59 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

Don't lie! my tv has no fm tuner in it but I can pick up 89.3 when I tune to channel 6! that means channel 6 in cincinnati will be analog for life?
when is that radio station transitioning to digital?

No, channel 6 won't be analog for life. Either you live very close to that FM station or your TV tuner is malfunctioning. TV channel 6 frequency band is 82-88 MHz. The FM audio carrier for channel 6 is centered at 86.5 MHz., and there is a possibility that a strong signal at the low end of the FM band (88-108 MHz.) can overload the tuner on the TV. An FM trap on the antenna input to the TV may help.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#60 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

No, channel 6 won't be analog for life. Either you live very close to that FM station or your TV tuner is malfunctioning. TV channel 6 frequency band is 82-88 MHz. The FM audio carrier for channel 6 is centered at 86.5 MHz., and there is a possibility that a strong signal at the low end of the FM band (88-108 MHz.) can overload the tuner on the TV. An FM trap on the antenna input to the TV may help.

for now the comericals are lying because come june 12 I will get more than justt static on atleast channel 6.
I used to own the wintv go which had no fm tuner but I was able to pick up several radio station with it.
my antenna can do 50 db amplification.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...