Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Obama Signs DTV-Delay Bill

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,096 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

The FCC was kind enough to decline all major networks requesting February 17th shutdown in markets where any were denied. Stations that had February 16th or earlier shutdown dates were left alone.

In order to satisfy the "public good" a 60 day nightlight, staffed walk in center and other concessions are required. It will be interesting to see how many of the 123 fight, how many shut down and how many comply. Filings due in 23 hours ...

After rereading the PN, I see that your are absolutely correct. I did not think they would be so heavy handed. I do not believe many will fight it unless they are in dire financial trouble or major contractural problems.

1-HR24-100
1-HR21-100
2-HR21-700
H21-100
SWM16

Wired network, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

Best Buy wants to annoy you into a converter box, takes the DTV PSAs in-store

http://www.engadgeth...-takes-the-dtv/

#53 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

President Barack Obama has signed the bill extending the DTV date from Feb. 17 to June 12.
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/11/2009 2:58:26 PM MT

http://www.broadcast..._Delay_Bill.php

I have 2 word in response.. Un-freakin' believable.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#54 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

This is about people who own perfectly functioning TVs that will become non-functioning because our government decided to make them non-functional. That coupled with a poorly conceived and poorly implemented transition scheme.

At no time did the government advertise that anyone who needed a converter box should apply months ahead of the transition because the government would run out of coupons.

Remember the people who do not derive a benefit from digital transmissions are the ones who have to pay the price because of the government's actions when the government runs out of coupons.

So, go ahead. Blame people who neither have cable or sat TV, nor digital Tvs for the transition delay until more people get converter boxes--its their fault their TVs won't work.

Bob
Bob, a novice in electronics.

#55 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,096 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

There are things that become obsolete every day.

The analog cell phone
The Bata Max
The VCR (very soon)
Blue Ray wants to make the DVD obsolete

Has there been or will there ever be a coupon program for these things? I quess it can be said that it all the governments fault. We must remember that with the advances in technology, and the need for more and better emergency communications, bandwidth needed to be freed up. The TV digital transition will open up a lot of bandwidth so the fireman can get to your burning house faster or you can watch a ball game on a handheld device or you can have low cost or free internet while you are sitting in the park. Digital TV also allows us to have HD TV which would not be possible with the current analog. Most can afford a $50.00 converter but they had rather wait for the handout and jam up the coupon program so that those that really need them have to wait.

1-HR24-100
1-HR21-100
2-HR21-700
H21-100
SWM16

#56 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,972 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

This is about people who own perfectly functioning TVs that will become non-functioning because our government decided to make them non-functional. That coupled with a poorly conceived and poorly implemented transition scheme.

At no time did the government advertise that anyone who needed a converter box should apply months ahead of the transition because the government would run out of coupons.

Remember the people who do not derive a benefit from digital transmissions are the ones who have to pay the price because of the government's actions when the government runs out of coupons.

So, go ahead. Blame people who neither have cable or sat TV, nor digital Tvs for the transition delay until more people get converter boxes--its their fault their TVs won't work.

Bob

No it's not, but I am not going to discuss it further.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#57 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,661 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:05 AM

Should I throw out all of my old TVs next Wednesday? I'm sure that my TVs will have some function. "Non-functioning" is an exaggerated over statement.

The government has been telling people to get their coupons for more than a year. Perhaps there could have been more clarity of "get your coupons before they run out" but the coupon program rules and limits are not secret.

So there is zero benefit for people who bought their own boxes? Is the only benefit you see of the entire program $40 off a $60 box?

I could understand if you thought there was no benefit to anyone without a HD set or no benefit to people without OTA TV. But no benefit for people who didn't happen to get coupons?

There has been plenty of warning and we all know that it takes an emergency to get some people to respond to even more important warnings than "your TV needs a converter or you will only see static".

There needs to be a role for personal responsibility.

#58 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:05 AM

Don't lie! my tv has no fm tuner in it but I can pick up 89.3 when I tune to channel 6! that means channel 6 in cincinnati will be analog for life?
when is that radio station transitioning to digital?

#59 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,543 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

Don't lie! my tv has no fm tuner in it but I can pick up 89.3 when I tune to channel 6! that means channel 6 in cincinnati will be analog for life?
when is that radio station transitioning to digital?

No, channel 6 won't be analog for life. Either you live very close to that FM station or your TV tuner is malfunctioning. TV channel 6 frequency band is 82-88 MHz. The FM audio carrier for channel 6 is centered at 86.5 MHz., and there is a possibility that a strong signal at the low end of the FM band (88-108 MHz.) can overload the tuner on the TV. An FM trap on the antenna input to the TV may help.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#60 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

No, channel 6 won't be analog for life. Either you live very close to that FM station or your TV tuner is malfunctioning. TV channel 6 frequency band is 82-88 MHz. The FM audio carrier for channel 6 is centered at 86.5 MHz., and there is a possibility that a strong signal at the low end of the FM band (88-108 MHz.) can overload the tuner on the TV. An FM trap on the antenna input to the TV may help.

for now the comericals are lying because come june 12 I will get more than justt static on atleast channel 6.
I used to own the wintv go which had no fm tuner but I was able to pick up several radio station with it.
my antenna can do 50 db amplification.

#61 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,951 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:57 AM

TV channel 6 frequency band is 82-88 MHz. The FM audio carrier for channel 6 is centered at 86.5 MHz., and there is a possibility that a strong signal at the low end of the FM band (88-108 MHz.) can overload the tuner on the TV.

Channel 6 audio is at 87.75. Typically the low end of the FM band is populated with very low power public stations.

#62 OFFLINE   Hoxxx

Hoxxx

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

It won't matter how long it is delayed there will allways be some people not ready. those are the ones that will switch when it is the only choice.
1:HR20 with a eSATA-750 gb, 1:HR20, 3:H20's,
Samsung 56" DLP HLT5689S,
Samsung 32" LCD LNR328W,
Sharp 20" LCD LC-20SH20U,
Polaroid 17" LCD FLM-1511,
Magnavox 15" LCD
Playstation 3, XBOX 360,
Toshiba HD-XA2, Onkyo TX-SR606, Mirage Sound System with Sub, (((XM))) Sub since 3/6/2003,
Using 1 MyFi's, and a Lucerne with Factory XM

#63 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

The FCC order implementing the DTV Delay Act has been posted on the FCC site.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.../FCC-09-9A1.pdf

#64 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,096 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:51 AM

This is all part of the stimulus package.

If the economy needs millions of additional boxes, it'll be sure to jump start the economy.

But all those converter boxes are made in China. :rolleyes:

1-HR24-100
1-HR21-100
2-HR21-700
H21-100
SWM16

#65 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

FCC Says 53 Analog 'At Risk' Stations Can Go Feb. 17
At least 421 stations can go on the original Feb. 17 date

According to the FCC, exactly half of the 106 stations that had to comply with various FCC conditions to pull the plug on analog Feb. 17 will actually be doing so.

http://www.broadcast...n_Go_Feb_17.php

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,661 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

FYI: I've created a DTV countdown clock that pretty much sums up the situation ...
http://jameslong.name/dtv.html

#67 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,972 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

FYI: I've created a DTV countdown clock that pretty much sums up the situation ...

ROFL !!!!
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#68 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

Good one!

#69 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

It's a cluster&%#, so yeah, it does effectively sum up the situation.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and 50/5 Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#70 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,096 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

But it all makes it less confusing. :lol:

1-HR24-100
1-HR21-100
2-HR21-700
H21-100
SWM16

#71 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,430 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

I especially like the accuracy of your fine work here....:D

I now leave it running on my desktop. ;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#72 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

For whatever it's worth, my congressman Lungren ® replied a few days ago with this:

Dear Mr. Holtz,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the upcoming transition to digital television. I appreciate the opportunity to learn of your views.

As you may know, there has been some discussion about delaying the February 17, 2009 deadline to transition to digital television. The DTV Delay Act (S. 352) would extend the deadline until June 13, 2009 but would allow broadcasters to switch prior to the deadline. This extension would give additional time for individuals to obtain coupons for convertor boxes. However, delaying the deadline will undermine taxpayer-funded public outreach that has resulted in widespread recognition of the February 17 deadline, risks hardship for local broadcast stations that would bear the added expense and logistical complications of operating and maintaining their analog signals for several more months, and a disruption of plans to use the vacated analog spectrum for a variety of wireless services.

I voted in favor of legislative language that would have required broadcasters holding analog spectrum designated for first responder agencies to comply with the February 17, 2009 DTV transition date. This would have ensured that delaying the deadline would not have interfered with the public safety. However, this language was not included in the final bill and therefore I voted against S. 352.

On January 29, 2009 The Senate approved S. 352 to delay the transition to digital television. S. 352 passed the House on February 4, 2009 and has been cleared for the President's signature.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your views with me.

If you would like to stay informed about federal legislation introduced in the 111th Congress....

and I'll cut it off right there.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#73 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

Tomorrow we will know what the real problems are. I predict Y2K all over again.

BTW there are plenty of converter boxes out there. You just have to pay $49 for them rather than $9.

Two stations in my DMA shut off their analog tonight. We will see what happens.....

PS I sent an email to these stations suggesting they leave the analog on for two weeks, but with a message that says:

If you are watching this, you are too stupid to own a TV.

I did not get a response......
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#74 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:21 AM

BTW I also predict the "if it bleeds, it leads" media will find the only 6 people in the US that were affected and interview them on prime time.

Each one will state that their TV no longer works AND they also need someone to give them a new car.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#75 OFFLINE   phox_mulder

phox_mulder

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

Each one will state that their TV no longer works AND they also need someone to give them a new car.

Sad thing is, Oprah will step up and do exactly that.

phox

Protected By... spam firewall...And...