Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Obama Signs DTV-Delay Bill

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   FogCutter

FogCutter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

[quote name='Bogy']. .. My wife is a social worker whose clients are low income elderly. . .

Bogy,

I think the estimate that 5-7% of OTA network viewers will simply turn off their TVs has some validity. Not just older folks, but many people who can't afford or just won't pay for television programming will not make the leap, no matter how small it is. Even minor antenna changes and free converters seem to be too much for some cheapskates.

Change is often hard, even good changes, but no doubt some people are going to be left out no matter what is done centrally.

Thanks for bringing this to the fore -- I'll make an announcement at church and get a group together to make sure our elders and needy are good to go.

As for the cheapskates -- let'em eat static.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

FogCutter, I hope others follow your example. There may be those out there who are just to lazy to do anything, but there are people out there for whom this is all very confusing, and for whom even $5 extra (when your income is $400-$500 a month) is a huge expense. Along with volunteers to help with the physical end, ask if there are people with unused coupons at home. I'm guessing that many people applied on the off chance they might want one of the boxes, and since they could order 2 they did so, even if they really only needed 1. Rather than let them lay in a drawer somewhere they can better be given to someone who needs one now, rather than waiting for the 90 days to expire so a replacement can be issued to someone else.

#103 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:08 AM

Excellent posts Bogy!

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#104 OFFLINE   FogCutter

FogCutter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

Having the boxes in short supply is just ridiculous. Make'm cheap, line the halls of Walmart with coupons and let's get on with it.

The UK went through this years back and at one point had nation wide broadcast of two formats at great expense for fewer than 2000 receivers. Would have been cheaper to send everyone a new TV. Hope they resolve this issue without resorting to that.

spam firewall