Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 doesn't like two hours of American Idol

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jcord51

jcord51

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

My wife was really pissed that, she has a recurring timer for American Idol, this weeks' two hour show was only recorded for the first hour. The guide states two hours on the schedule and the PVR statues box reads recorded successfully for an hour and five minutes. Anyone knows what's up:nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

I am recording AI on the west coast and it indicates 8-10pm. I will report back if it records the fully two hours. Press DVR 3 times. Find the recording and see if it indicates why it stopped.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

Mine recorded full two hours, no problem. Maybe the guide info for your local FOX affiliate is messed up?

Check the record history, someone might have accidentally stopped it? :scratch:
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#4 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

My VIP622 has not skipped one American Idol.
Just finished watching the recording of the 2 hour show. :)
Philips 47" 1080p LCD HDTV 47pfl7422d/37
Philips 42" 1080p LCD HDTV 42pfl3704D
Magnavox 32" 720p LCD HDTV 32MF338B/27
Magnavox 720p 19" LCD
2x DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (HR24-200 with 1TB ESATA via Thermaltake BlacX external dock), 2x DIRECTV® HD Receiver (H24-200), 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish, MRV with Deca CINEMAplus

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:47 AM

Same here.. caught the full 2 hours.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   clyde sauls

clyde sauls

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:10 AM

might be able to find it online.

#7 OFFLINE   nostalgiaguru

nostalgiaguru

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:09 AM

Are you sure you didn't accidentally set up manual timer rather than a recurring timer?

#8 OFFLINE   TheChef

TheChef

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:33 PM

Are you sure you didn't accidentally set up manual timer rather than a recurring timer?

That was my first thought. Sounded like a manual timer with the record 5 min after option set. The only other possibility was the incorrect epg info. Otherwise, there is no reason it would record the show correctly but stop at normal timing instead of the extra hour.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish Network's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#9 OFFLINE   kejebe

kejebe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

My wife was really pissed that, she has a recurring timer for American Idol, this weeks' two hour show was only recorded for the first hour. The guide states two hours on the schedule and the PVR statues box reads recorded successfully for an hour and five minutes. Anyone knows what's up:nono2:

I actually sat down tonight to watch Wednesdays American Idol and the same thing happened to my recording. It shows as 2hrs on the DVR but after the first hour I got a message saying that the signal was lost or something like that and it just stopped. I couldn't advance forward or jump ahead. It just stopped after the first hour. I even tried starting over and FF'ing. Once it reached the 1hr mark it stops with the same error message. Haven't had this problem in the past hope it doesn't start to happen on a regular basis.

#10 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

A timer conflict, perhaps?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#11 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

Since it recorded for an 1hr and 5 minutes I don't think it was a timer conflict. Timer Conflicts do not stop shows. Also the report about the 2 hours with signal loss I suspect is different and would suggesting taking a look at your signal strength for FOX's transponder. My guess would be you have a borderline signal. Either that or some external factor caused the signal loss.

#12 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

Since it recorded for an 1hr and 5 minutes I don't think it was a timer conflict. Timer Conflicts do not stop shows.

You sure about that, Ron? :confused: [not an argument ... an honest question.]
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#13 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

It sounds like he's pretty sure, as am I.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#14 OFFLINE   jcord51

jcord51

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

Let me write about what I see upon verifying the timer for American Idol due to record on tuner number two on Feb 17 at 8pm to 10pm. The guide clearly displays that that block of time is set to record with no conflicts. I then hit select and get the Daily Schedule screen for Tuesday, Feb 17 where the first entry is timer 2, 8pm Amer Idol. So far so good...Now I'm in the timer event screen, where displayed is Amer Idol 8pm to 9pm on 005-00 WNYW set for DVR 2. Now this is wrong, and vindicates my wife, since she said that she checked the timer, but clearly you guys know that this timer will only record for the hour, as per the Timer Event Screen, and you would only know this if you confirmed your timer! To correct the mystery, I deleted the original timer and recreated the timer set for New Episodes and created a timer for Over The Air via antenna. Rechecked my guide and all passed verification. It now should work. Imagine being a CSR and trying to explain this to Mom or Pop!!

#15 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

It sounds like he's pretty sure, as am I.

Obee Kbee.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#16 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

If you fiind out what stopped your DVR from recording American Idol, please pass it on so I can set my 722 to do the same!:D
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#17 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

Yep... Once a show starts recording it has the tuner unless the user stops the recording. I am sure as one can be.

#18 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

Yep... Once a show starts recording it has the tuner unless the user stops the recording. I am sure as one can be.

Thanks, Ron. Unfortunately I don't have any of my past problems with timer conflicts documented. But, I'm pretty sure I've seen interrupted recordings due to timer interactions.

At any rate, no big deal ... I'll document the next event. With all the recent software changes, one can't be sure of anything. What used to function one way back then, may not have the same functionality under the current software version.

Thanks, again.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#19 OFFLINE   jcord51

jcord51

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

Let me write about what I see upon verifying the timer for American Idol due to record on tuner number two on Feb 17 at 8pm to 10pm. The guide clearly displays that that block of time is set to record with no conflicts. I then hit select and get the Daily Schedule screen for Tuesday, Feb 17 where the first entry is timer 2, 8pm Amer Idol. So far so good...Now I'm in the timer event screen, where displayed is Amer Idol 8pm to 9pm on 005-00 WNYW set for DVR 2. Now this is wrong, and vindicates my wife, since she said that she checked the timer, but clearly you guys know that this timer will only record for the hour, as per the Timer Event Screen, and you would only know this if you confirmed your timer! To correct the mystery, I deleted the original timer and recreated the timer set for New Episodes and created a timer for Over The Air via antenna. Rechecked my guide and all passed verification. It now should work. Imagine being a CSR and trying to explain this to Mom or Pop!!

:) well tonight's the night. Got fingers crossed:grin:

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

So jcord51, are you saying you think that your timer last week was related to a glitch in the program guide for your locals? Did you set your timer up with default padding? if so... Then I have to wonder why you got 1hr 5min instead of 1hr 4min.

spam firewall