Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622/722 Receivers hitting Dish 4k times a day!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

Got around to checking router logs, and with both my 622 and 722 on the net, they are hitting a domain called "echo.dishaccess.tv" about 4000 times a day; this is without me doing anything with VOD, or accessing anything other than normal TV watching.

Also hit "www.dishaccess.tv" about 100 times, and "www.echostar_vod.com" 6 times. I can't remember if I got a VOD listing on that day which may explain that.

Anyway, it hits echo.dishaccess.tv about 4000 times every day, interesting. Any idea why they DVR's have to access Dish so many times? That's like three times a minute (for both dvr's).
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

Just a wild guess but it could be because of the new SlingGuide feature. The receiver contacts the dishaccess IP so that SlingGuide knows it is on-line and it can communicate back to it. SlingGuide can not initiate the communication between the two unless router ports are opened up on your home router. As long as the receiver initiates the communication, then SlingGuide can answer back without needing to have ports open in your router.

Those with SlingBoxes know what a pain it can be to get your router configured properly.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:54 AM

HobbyTalk said what I was thinking. I really haven't paid attention to my setup since whatever it is doing isn't taking much bandwidth or I'd notice the drag on my Internet connection.

So if it is just "checking in" periodically that could be what is going on.. and quite possibly a necessary evil to make the SlingGuide feature work and be able to update quickly.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,314 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

Just get any sniffer's log - insert old hub between DVR and your network for tap.

#5 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

I sniffed it back when they first started the online beta test a year or so ago. I forget when it was. Anyhow, it was nothing more than a socket connection being set up and the closed out. No real traffic at all. Just a preparation for some kind of live every few seconds check if the program guide was updated or not.

Due to consumers not having dedicated IP addresses, the only way to make online updates timely is for the customer hardware to check in at Dish for updates since Dish can not send that data to you over the internet until you make a connection to them.

If the volume isn't too much, don't worry about it.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#6 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

Nah, it's not using a noticeable amount of bandwidth at all, just the constant hits I thought was interesting.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

spam firewall