Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How DirecTv/DBSTalk saved my basement

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

So, yesterday I read about the overnight reboots/ToDo list problems. I woke up not feeling so hot (I got better), so I was already at home. I went downstairs to the main floor, checked both DVRs there, and they were fine. Then, I went into the basement to check the last one.

When I first headed down the stairs, it was quiet, so I knew the dehumidifier was full. So, I went into the unfinished half. Then, I saw it: The basment had a hugs puddle of water around the drain in the floor. So, I checked the sump pump, as that was where it seemed to be coming from. Sure enough, the pit was full, and I couldn't see the floater. So, I reached my hand in, and that water was COLD! I'm surprised it was still liquid. I could only fish around in there for a few seconds at a time, as my hands went numb quickly, and it was murky enough that i had to rely solely on touch.

Got that fixed, and when it started draining, water came pouring out the output pipe, right at the catch valve. WE already had it duct taped, because there was a pinhole leak there a while back. So, I tried more duct tape. No good. I found if I held the valve and the flanges together in just the right way, it would drain with no leak. So, I held it long enough that it was not overflowing, with some room to spare. Went to Home Depot, got a new valve with flanges attached, and came home to replace.

The rubber flange at the top of the system was ripped about half off! That ended up being my big problem. The replacement went fine, and no damage was done, thankfully, because I caught it in time.

And, why did I catch it in time? Because, I read here about the reboots, and went in the basement to check on my HR20-700. So, thank you, DirecTV, for screwing up the guides, and helping me fix my basement leak, and thank you DBSTalk, for telling me to go check.

;)
:pinkie:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:56 AM

Hey .. cool story .. Thanks for sharing :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

So, yesterday I read about the overnight reboots/ToDo list problems. I woke up not feeling so hot (I got better), so I was already at home. I went downstairs to the main floor, checked both DVRs there, and they were fine. Then, I went into the basement to check the last one.

When I first headed down the stairs, it was quiet, so I knew the dehumidifier was full. So, I went into the unfinished half. Then, I saw it: The basment had a hugs puddle of water around the drain in the floor. So, I checked the sump pump, as that was where it seemed to be coming from. Sure enough, the pit was full, and I couldn't see the floater. So, I reached my hand in, and that water was COLD! I'm surprised it was still liquid. I could only fish around in there for a few seconds at a time, as my hands went numb quickly, and it was murky enough that i had to rely solely on touch.

Got that fixed, and when it started draining, water came pouring out the output pipe, right at the catch valve. WE already had it duct taped, because there was a pinhole leak there a while back. So, I tried more duct tape. No good. I found if I held the valve and the flanges together in just the right way, it would drain with no leak. So, I held it long enough that it was not overflowing, with some room to spare. Went to Home Depot, got a new valve with flanges attached, and came home to replace.

The rubber flange at the top of the system was ripped about half off! That ended up being my big problem. The replacement went fine, and no damage was done, thankfully, because I caught it in time.

And, why did I catch it in time? Because, I read here about the reboots, and went in the basement to check on my HR20-700. So, thank you, DirecTV, for screwing up the guides, and helping me fix my basement leak, and thank you DBSTalk, for telling me to go check.

;)

So...was the basement receiver updated or not? :D
Glad you escaped without too much damage!

#4 OFFLINE   Button Pusher

Button Pusher

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 971 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

Glad you got it taken care of! DirecTV saves the day! Well don't leave yourself out. You had to be intelligent enough to fix it!!:D
Jeff

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:48 AM

There will probably be a "disaster aversion" charge on your next bill!
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, DTV is cool even though they cost me a good door.

Back when my son was living at home I found him in his room with the TV off. I asked why and he reported too many commercials and stupid programs on the locals. So he was doing homework and reading a math text. After he left for an expensive college I rented his room to a guy who began selling drugs. The cops kicked down the door and hauled his ass out of here one night last week.

So, do you think DTV will fix the door?

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

Pretty cool story. :lol:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,184 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

I've got a sump pump in my unfinished basement that occasionally 'hangs' without cutting on and needs a bump to start.

I've added a water alarm ($12 or so at HD or Lowe's) that has saved my neck several times. There's actually a wireless version available online that you can put the alarm upstairs.

Check it out.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:03 PM

So, I tried more duct tape. No good.

!rolling !rolling That's the best part of the story right there! !rolling !rolling

;)

#10 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

!rolling !rolling That's the best part of the story right there! !rolling !rolling

;)

Hey, why not? What problem can't be fixed by duct tape?
:pinkie:

#11 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

I know of two so far... this one and something about fishing cables. :P :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,184 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hey, don't laugh at duct tape. . . another story, but it saved my sailboat from sinking!

I keep a roll handy in the boat!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#13 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape.:D
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#14 OFFLINE   Harry Seldon

Harry Seldon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

You people forget the virtues of caulk.

#15 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

Since this was D* related it would have been fixed with self tapping screws :lol:

ProfLonghair, You owe us all a cold one.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#16 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:51 AM

Sounds like we've got a lot of Red Green fans here. Duct tape fixes everything!:D
Too much crap to list
(Besides, do you really care what I have?):sure:

#17 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

I know of two so far... this one and something about fishing cables. :P :lol:

Hey, I successfully fished a cable through a wall using a bent coat hanger, attached to the end of a coax connector (don't know what you'd call it - it's the coax connector I took out of an old wall plate). Coat hanger was attached to the connector with... yep... a ridiculous amount of duct tape (I couldn't pull off the connector after I was done :)). I then just screwed the end of the cable to the connector, and after much sweating and swearing I got the cable through. As Alton Brown said on one episode of Good Eats: Macgyver isn't my patron saint for nothing...

#18 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape.:D

:lol:
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

Since this was D* related it would have been fixed with self tapping screws :lol:

ProfLonghair, You owe us all a cold one.

Given the cold ones he had that day, I don't think I want one right now. :)

Thanks for the story ProfLonghair!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#20 OFFLINE   lwilbur

lwilbur

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

That small pinhole depending on where it is is important. Usually a small pinhole is drilled into the discharge piping to prevent airlock. Airlock doesnt occur often but when it does it allows the pump to pump air but not pull water and discharge it. So by duct taping the hole in the past you may have set yourself up for this problem. Usually the hole is drilled just below the lid of the pit so that it doesnt splash outside.

spam firewall