Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish affected by wind? Nah!!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

Man, I hate to make light in face of someone's damage, but I saw an interesting image on the local news last night. (No one was injured, thankfully.)

We had some strong storms move through the area night before last. The person in the story said he clocked 67mph wind; it partially tore the roof off his house and completely off a storage barn, but left what looks like a Dish 1000.2 completely intact.

Here's a snapshot of the image; note that although our news is in HD, this story was obviosly shot with an SD camera, so apologies for the image quality, but you get the idea.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1234459869

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2042 (Large).JPG

Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Here a friend had a tree take out part of his roof, and just missed his dish.
http://www.avsforum....07#post15611007
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:13 PM

If this happened in my area, I'm sure the customer would call in a Damage Claim to Dish and try to get me to pay for it... I've had some crazy customers this week.

Last January, we had a mega wind storm with 80+ MPH winds all over the place. We were repointing dishes for weeks afterwards.

#4 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

Holy cow, must have been some storm to have its own wiki entry, lol.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#5 OFFLINE   ab187

ab187

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

It is amazing how strong those dishes are. My 1000.2 survived Ike without even budging.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

Holy cow, must have been some storm to have its own wiki entry, lol.

You'd better believe it. I pulled my techs out of the field on Jan 4th, which was the day of the mega wind here. It just wasn't safe to be on ladders with that much wind and rain. We had 92 MPH gusts in my town, and about 35 miles away in the Oakland hills, gusts were up to 118. That's severe weather by any standard.

We haven't had anything like that this year. Plenty of rain, but only one storm with some 60+ MPH winds, and those didn't last long.

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

I wasn't so lucky last year when a tornado brushed my neighborhood.

Thankfully I only lost one dish at the time, or my roof would have been in major trouble. Yes that dish was lagged into a truss.

http://www.dbstalk.c...72&d=1187538572

http://www.dbstalk.c...74&d=1187538585

Protected By... spam firewall...And...