Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Program #2 Remote into Universal remote?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rlu929s

rlu929s

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

Is there as way to get the #2 remote that is used for the 2nd source for my 722 programmed into a universal remote. I know it has a longer range so I didn't know if it'd work or not.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ozzie 33

Ozzie 33

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:33 PM

I personnally have not tried it but a Dish installer told me he did program his Dish remote into a universal Harmony brand remote. I don't know if it was the #2 with the UHF or not.

#3 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Universal remotes are usually IR and the TV2 remote is UHF so the answer is No for the typical remote. I don't keep up with the remote world so perhaps some UHF universal remotes exist now, but that's the first thing to watch out for.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

I personnally have not tried it but a Dish installer told me he did program his Dish remote into a universal Harmony brand remote. I don't know if it was the #2 with the UHF or not.

No Harmony's are able to be programmed with Dish's RF - IR certainly. I have a Harmony remote that does RF - but only to a proprietary Harmony RF Extender that receives the RF and emits IR for control. (And also RF for Z-wave products - light dimmers, etc.)

#5 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

I've been thinking about just this for a few months now. I am starting to get a number of remotes in my bedroom where I use my second 622 remote. I hope Harmony comes up with something I can use in there just as I use a Harmony in my living room.

#6 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

Get a 21.0 remote from E* its a learning remote. Not as fancy as the Harmony ones, but does the job well for me.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#7 OFFLINE   rlu929s

rlu929s

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

So these new remote allow you learn...that would work since there are some newer device such as a bluray player my current remote is not able to learn and that would work.

#8 OFFLINE   rlu929s

rlu929s

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

Well got my remote today and it does increase the range and I get much better response for dish stuff but still no luck with my bluray player even with the learning feature.

Apparently whatever I picked up is using a bad protocol or something the dish remote does not understand.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...