Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV Analog Shutoff Why Should I Care...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   space86

space86

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

I have Dish Network why should I care if the date has been changed
to June?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

*Most* people have no reason to care. The only ones who really DO need to care are those who either get their TV via OTA antenna, or those who aren't getting a specific local channel because their provider is waiting for that channel to move to its post-transition frequency/transmitter.

#3 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:37 AM

You care because the cost to your local stations to keep two transmitters going is going to effect where they spend their money on better things like local news and such.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#4 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:31 AM

It's amazing to me with the absolute media blitz we've suffered for darn near a year about the DTV transition the Govt says many people aren't ready yet, don't know about it, blah blah.

Man, if you watch TV, and isn't that the target audience, how can you NOT know? It really shows how out of touch so many people are, just amazing. And these people VOTE.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#5 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

Actually, you care because satellite and cable providers have to carry the SD and HD variants of network channels for four more months. Also, this delays replacing the analog with digital signal for local stations carried by satellite and cable providers. Finally, while multiple signals are being maintained, this delays adding new national programming content and national HD.

#6 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Actually, you care because satellite and cable providers have to carry the SD and HD variants of network channels for four more months. Also, this delays replacing the analog with digital signal for local stations carried by satellite and cable providers. Finally, while multiple signals are being maintained, this delays adding new national programming content and national HD.

If I'm not mistaken, Dish will still have to carry both SD and HD signals because the majority of subscribers still have SD. The change over to digital will not affect that. AFAIK, the vast majority of LIL channels that Dish carries have already been switched over to the digital broadcast signal.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#7 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

You care because you will have to rescan for your local OTA channels. The question now is when.

#8 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

Ah .... SD is NOT equal to analog. HD is not the very definition of digital. The DBS companies carry a "digital" signal whether it's SD or HD They are not required to carry one, the other, or both, just that they carry one. And it is always digital. Even after the switch, they are only required to carry SD and not HD unless they want to.

That is a curious question! What if they decided to carry ONLY the HD feeds! Hmmmmm. Who would complain first and loudest?
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#9 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:22 PM

Well, OK they don't HAVE to carry both SD and HD versions of a LIL channel but if they want to offer both they will have to carry both.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#10 OFFLINE   siper66

siper66

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

I thought I read somewhere that once the switchover happens, stations can devote more "power" to the digital signal, thus providing a wider coverage area. We may be able to pick up some additional OTA channels that we couldn't recieve before here in the Columbus, Ohio area. ( Dayton, Mansfield, ZAnesville) Is this true? This would be a good reason to care about the analog shutoff..

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

I thought I read somewhere that once the switchover happens, stations can devote more "power" to the digital signal, thus providing a wider coverage area. We may be able to pick up some additional OTA channels that we couldn't recieve before here in the Columbus, Ohio area. ( Dayton, Mansfield, ZAnesville) Is this true? This would be a good reason to care about the analog shutoff..

This will be true for some stations, because some are currently restricted to lower-power transmissions so as to not interfere with existing analog broadcasts in adjacent cities. But it isn't universally true that all stations will up their power. Many have been broadcasting in full power digital for years.

#12 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:36 PM

I have Dish Network why should I care if the date has been changed
to June?

Many stations also have substations not available on either DirecTV or Dish Network.........and NEVER will be on either of the 2, but can be viewed in the local markets via an OTA. The transition may broaden the spectrum that those stations have to work with so that they can add even more content.

#13 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

You might care if you don't subscribe to your locals. I work at the FOX affiliate in Duluth. We made an early switch to digital-only, and I've taken a number of calls from DISH Network customers who thought they didn't need to do anything because they have satellite, but it turns out they were watching local stations with the rabbit ears. They are bummed to hear they either have to pay an extra $5/month or buy a converter box.

There have also been some problems with DirecTV customers who don't have the proper dish setup to receive the local channels in our market.

#14 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

I live in a market where the FOX and MY Network affiliates will cease analog on February 17, and the rest apparently will delay until June. But some of the stations that will delay have reduced their analog power, others cannot broadcast at full digital power until the transition is complete, others say they plan to add sub-channels when they shut down analog.

So this doesn't mean much of anything for those who rely on Cable or satellite for their local channels, but for the OTA crowd, it looks like they need digital tuners on the 17th if they want to receive all the local channels. Plus with some stations operating on reduced analog or digital power during the transition, people in fringe areas will probably need both digital and analog tuners in the interim.

#15 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

Don't know about you. But, I'm indifferent to the change over date. Delaying it so that the government can catch up with the demand for coupons so that more people can use there SD TVs is fine with me.

Bob
Bob, a novice in electronics.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

You care because you will have to rescan for your local OTA channels. The question now is when.

This is the answer!

#17 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

Or how many times you will have to rescan...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#18 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

^^^ Why will you have to re-scan? The Dish OTA tuners only pick up digital signals, so they won't care or notice when the analog signals go off.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

^^^ Why will you have to re-scan? The Dish OTA tuners only pick up digital signals, so they won't care or notice when the analog signals go off.

Lots of local stations will be changing their broadcast frequencies when they switchover... so they might be on channel 57 digital today, but 27 digital on Wednesday.

You'd need to rescan to pick up those changes.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#20 OFFLINE   ka8zay

ka8zay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

I can say in Dayton WHIO is broadcasting digital on a backup antenna that is smaller and lower to the ground compared to the main broadcast antenna. They have been waiting on the change over date to take down the old analog antenna and replace it with a new perm digital antenna. So in this market as soon as the change happens it will be for the better.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...