Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV Analog Shutoff Why Should I Care...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   biz

biz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

Dish doesn't offer our locals in HD. (Actually Dish locals are really locals from 70 miles away). I use rabbit ears and the tuner in my 622, with no issues for network HD.

Dish is in dispute with Fisher, so having rabbit ears has been a blessing.

I'm assuming that I'm good. So those stations are going digitial, but we'll get SD or will we finally get HD for those. (some already made the switch and are not going back due to equipment issues, others are switching anyhow).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Lots of local stations will be changing their broadcast frequencies when they switchover.

Not if they switch over before the new cutoff date of June 12.
In most cases the FCC is requiring they remain on current RF channel until then.

.. so they might be on channel 57 digital today, but 27 digital on Wednesday.

You'd need to rescan to pick up those changes.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

Not if they switch over before the new cutoff date of June 12.
In most cases the FCC is requiring they remain on current RF channel until then.

I'd challenge that statement. Both of the stations in my market that are moving to their analog channels managed to get STAs to do so before transition. The before transition part being clearly stated in the STAs (special temporary authority).

The media bureau will want to approve such moves to make sure they don't create interference with remaining analog channels but unless the station's digital signal is much larger than their analog coverage they should be trivial to approve.

#24 OFFLINE   angiecopus

angiecopus

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:21 AM

I can say in Dayton WHIO is broadcasting digital on a backup antenna that is smaller and lower to the ground compared to the main broadcast antenna. They have been waiting on the change over date to take down the old analog antenna and replace it with a new perm digital antenna. So in this market as soon as the change happens it will be for the better.

i am ready for this change. its a shame that they could let the dayton stations change sooner. i have finally gotten my parents to watch the dayton stations instead of Cincinnati. because of living in preble county.
whats weird is that in my parents bedroom, they can get some Cincinnati on the converter box but in the rest of the house its all dayton stations.

#25 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Dish will still have to carry both SD and HD signals because the majority of subscribers still have SD. The change over to digital will not affect that. AFAIK, the vast majority of LIL channels that Dish carries have already been switched over to the digital broadcast signal.

They'll probably have to carry SD channels for 10 to 15 years until people get HD sets.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#26 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

They'll probably have to carry SD channels for 10 to 15 years until people get HD sets.

There are already rules on when they must carry HD LIL for the dma's they carry. I believe the rules on how long they and cable channels must carry sd locals are much less than 10 years, but they might not be required to drop them.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#27 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

It's not so much as everyone has to have HD sets - they just have to have Dish receivers that can decode MPEG4 (currently, the VIP series).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#28 OFFLINE   Badger

Badger

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

You care because the cost to your local stations to keep two transmitters going is going to effect where they spend their money on better things like local news and such.

Our local network stations in Madison WI are switching over on Feb. 17 as they had planned. I wouldn't be too surprised if many others did this also.

#29 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

Last I read about 25% are switching on the 17th, the majority of them PBS and low power stations. The FCC is requiring at least one "network" station within a market to stay analog.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#30 OFFLINE   jimborst

jimborst

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

The FCC is requiring at least one "network" station within a market to stay analog.

From the crawl on any of the Sioux City, IA stations ALL are turning off the analog on the 17th.

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

From the crawl on any of the Sioux City, IA stations ALL are turning off the analog on the 17th.

Further investigation would be needed to figure out exactly what is happening in the market ... but one of the options is to leave the analog of at least one major station on the air with an "enhanced nightlight" program:

Ensure that at least one station that is currently providing analog service to an area within the DMA that will no longer receive analog service after February 17, 2009 will continue broadcasting an analog signal providing, at a minimum, DTV transition and emergency information, as well as local news and public affairs programming (“enhanced nightlight” service) for at least 60 days following February 17, 2009.

There is probably a station (or more) that will be "turning off" analog by ceasing normal programming. All four Sioux City network stations certified that they would follow the rules that require the "enhanced nightlight".

BTW: There is a lot of discussion on DTV Delay over in our Broadcast/HDTV Forum
Obama Signs DTV-Delay Bill

#32 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

KTIV in Sioux City and WQOW/WXOW in Eau Claire/La Crosse are doing "enhanced nightlight." It's a simulcast of 1 newscast per day and looped messages about getting DTV at other times, for 60 days.

WMSN in Madison, KLKN in Lincoln, KDLO in Watertown SD, and KHQA in Quincy IL fell on their swords and will keep analog on the air until 6/12, which could allow other stations to move forward with the Feb. 17 date.

#33 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

WMSN in Madison, KLKN in Lincoln, KDLO in Watertown SD, and KHQA in Quincy IL fell on their swords and will keep analog on the air until 6/12, which could allow other stations to move forward with the Feb. 17 date.

What happened in our area was they all announced they were going to change on 2/17. Then one announced they were keeping the analog signal and shortly after the others said they were also keeping the analog signal. I think one staying forced the others to stay since it would put them at a disadvantage for those viewers that haven't switched.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#34 OFFLINE   space86

space86

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 512 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

The switch to DTV does it effect E* having to carry
a stations subchannels?

#35 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Dish doesn't carry subchannels, and shouldn't be with the transition either.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

There may be stations that refuse carriage unless their subchannels are also carried but as it stands there is NO requirement that subchannels be carried outside of Alaska and Hawaii. DTV conversion doesn't change that.

spam firewall