Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking of coming back to dish...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:36 AM

We currently have no TV service. I cancelled Dish 6 months ago and prior to that we had direct.
I'd like to come back to dish but I have some concerns.

They always seem to be in a contract dispute or lawsuit. Even if I side with dish on these it still doesn't give me those channels. And I worry that this only causes more people to leave and results in more loss of money for dish. I just wonder if this will affect their ability to add more channels and keep the ones they have. Direct is making money while dish is losing it.
Right now their dispute with fisher results in no ABC here. Not a big deal as I can just download the shows i'm missing which isn't many from that channel.

My pros and cons:

Dish doesn't have FX or Comedy Central in HD but direct does

Direct doesn't have Travel Channel HD and dish does.

Direct has a more HD channels. Not that I need them all.

Dish says in the spring they will add comedy central, spike tv, vh1, cmt, nickelodean but no mention of fx.

Direct has the ability to schedule recordings from the website.
Dish has been testing that forever but hasen't released it.

Dish currently doesn't have ABC due to contract dispute.

Direct has better picture quality, higher resolution
Dish has better receivers - record 3 shows at once

Dish is cheaper for our bare minimum channels
Direct costs more but gives us way more channels

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

"Dish doesn't have FX or Comedy Central in HD but direct does

Direct doesn't have Travel Channel HD and dish does."

Which ones are more important to you?

"Direct has a more HD channels. Not that I need them all."

Who has the channels that you want?

"Dish says in the spring they will add comedy central, spike tv, vh1, cmt, nickelodean but no mention of fx."

Is FX HD a deal breaker for you?

"Direct has the ability to schedule recordings from the website.
Dish has been testing that forever but hasen't released it."

Dish is in the final phase of beta. The interface is great and have few bugs now. ;)

"Dish currently doesn't have ABC due to contract dispute."

I suppose you are getting it OTA now. Keep on going.

"Direct has better picture quality, higher resolution
Dish has better receivers - record 3 shows at once"

Can you really tell the difference in resolution? Does it matter that much to you?

"Dish is cheaper for our bare minimum channels
Direct costs more but gives us way more channels"

You want to save money or pay for lost of channels that you may not watch?
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#3 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

I think ultimately it comes down to all the contract disputes and lawsuits and how long dish will be able to last and their ability to add and keep channels. That is really the biggest concern for me.

I prefer dish's receivers(722 with 3 tuners, 1 OTA), I can live with the channels and the ones being added, it would save me money per month. But if they won't be adding channels as fast as direct or if their longevity is in question...

#4 ONLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

I think ultimately it comes down to all the contract disputes and lawsuits and how long dish will be able to last and their ability to add and keep channels. That is really the biggest concern for me.

I prefer dish's receivers(722 with 3 tuners, 1 OTA), I can live with the channels and the ones being added, it would save me money per month. But if they won't be adding channels as fast as direct or if their longevity is in question...

Dish has over 13 million customers and is doing fine, they aren't going anywhere any time soon.
Direct has one (1) more national HD channel than does Dish, and Dish has four (4) more premium channels than does Direct. Dish has announced 15 new HD channels they are planning to add this year while Direct has announced 8 new HD channels...

#5 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

Direct has at least 2 more national HD than dish. At least in the channels I care about. Comedy Central and FX.

I only see 7 new channels announced by dish: Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, CMT, Spike TV, VH1 and BET.

Do you have a link to an announcemet of the other 8? I'd love to see that list.

#6 ONLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

Direct has at least 2 more national HD than dish. At least in the channels I care about. Comedy Central and FX.

I only see 7 new channels announced by dish: Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, CMT, Spike TV, VH1 and BET.

Do you have a link to an announcemet of the other 8? I'd love to see that list.

You kept saying "Direct has a more HD channels." And I am just pointing out that they actually only have one more HD channel than does Dish..

http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1058081

#7 OFFLINE   chainblu

chainblu

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:04 PM

Here's the list Dish released on New Years Eve:

HD National Channels Currently Planned to Launch in the Future! – One of DISH Network’s main strategies is to continue improving our HD channel offerings. Here is a list of HD national channels we currently plan on launching in 2009!

BET – The television network providing programming highlighting African-American culture.

Comedy Central – The all-comedy network.

CMT – The video network for young country fans, playing non-stop contemporary country hits 24 hours a day.

Crime & Investigation – Network dedicated to crime, investigation and mystery.

Fashion TV – The 24/7 fashion, beauty and style TV station.

FX – Offers a growing roster of award-winning original series and box-office hits.

MTV – America's premier music video and entertainment network for young adults.

Nickelodeon – Offers the highest quality and top-rated kids programming in a variety of genres appealing to kids of all ages.

SHOTO – Offers double the entertainment power of Showtime.

Showtime Extreme – Dedicated to all action, all the time.

Showtime (West) HD – Showtime in high definition provides the ultimate in home theater entertainment.

SPEED – The 24-hour network that is devoted to the sport of NASCAR.

Spike TV – Addresses the modern mans lifestyle interests.

VH1 – Where today’s upscale viewers stay connected to the music and music culture they love.

#8 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

Here's the list Dish released on New Years Eve:

HD National Channels Currently Planned to Launch in the Future! – One of DISH Network’s main strategies is to continue improving our HD channel offerings. Here is a list of HD national channels we currently plan on launching in 2009!

BET – The television network providing programming highlighting African-American culture.

Comedy Central – The all-comedy network.

CMT – The video network for young country fans, playing non-stop contemporary country hits 24 hours a day.

Crime & Investigation – Network dedicated to crime, investigation and mystery.

Fashion TV – The 24/7 fashion, beauty and style TV station.

FX – Offers a growing roster of award-winning original series and box-office hits.

MTV – America's premier music video and entertainment network for young adults.

Nickelodeon – Offers the highest quality and top-rated kids programming in a variety of genres appealing to kids of all ages.

SHOTO – Offers double the entertainment power of Showtime.

Showtime Extreme – Dedicated to all action, all the time.

Showtime (West) HD – Showtime in high definition provides the ultimate in home theater entertainment.

SPEED – The 24-hour network that is devoted to the sport of NASCAR.

Spike TV – Addresses the modern mans lifestyle interests.

VH1 – Where today’s upscale viewers stay connected to the music and music culture they love.

Dish should use these quotes:
CMT - Reality TV
VH1 - More reality TV
MTV- We don't play music anymore TV:hurah::lol:

I think that these channels should launch within a few weeks especially Speed.

#9 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

I just contacted dish to set it up and I want the VIP722 receiver for the 50 hours of HD recording and 3 tuners to record 3 shows at once (1 OTA). I had the 622 when I was last with dish.
Anyways, the wouldn't give it to me. They said I get the 612 because I only have one TV. I said well I had the 622 when I was last with dish 6 months ago and it wasen't a problem. He said that was 6 months ago and things are different now.

I could just order through the website and say I have two TV's to get the receiver but I don't know if i'll get the 622 or 722.

#10 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

You kept saying "Direct has a more HD channels." And I am just pointing out that they actually only have one more HD channel than does Dish..

http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1058081

If you look at total numbers it's one more. However they aren't the same channels. So direct has several that Dish does not have.
In terms of what I care about direct has 2 that dish does not. But according to that link dish should be adding those.

But I do thank you for the link.

#11 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

I just contacted dish to set it up and I want the VIP722 receiver for the 50 hours of HD recording and 3 tuners to record 3 shows at once (1 OTA). I had the 622 when I was last with dish.
Anyways, the wouldn't give it to me. They said I get the 612 because I only have one TV. I said well I had the 622 when I was last with dish 6 months ago and it wasen't a problem. He said that was 6 months ago and things are different now.

You got unlucky on CSR Roulette. Just tell them you have two TVs.
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#12 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

I wonder if there is a local dish retailer in Gresham, Oregon that I could just go to, sign up and grab a receiver? I don't need an installer. I still have the dishes on the house, switches, wiring, everything is still in place.

#13 ONLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

If you look at total numbers it's one more. However they aren't the same channels. So direct has several that Dish does not have.
In terms of what I care about direct has 2 that dish does not. But according to that link dish should be adding those.

But I do thank you for the link.

And Dish has some channels that Direct doesn't have, so... My point wasn't about what you care about, it is that overall there isn't the difference in the total number of national HD channels between Dish and Direct that most people think.

spam firewall