Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

G1

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hi, so i am thinking of cancelling At&t today and going to T-mobile to get the G1. Anyone have a G1 and tell me if its a good phone? I currently have a Curve and its one of the best phones I've ever had. Will it be a big difference?

Is it a stable phone? Do they do software upgrades on it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

Or would an iphone be better?

#3 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

I am not an Apple or Mac person at all -- I'm a PC! -- but I do have an iPhone & I love it. Almost everyone in my family has them now & while we love our gadgets, some of us just are not tech-savy. The iPhone has been so easy for all of us to use no matter the tech level. My 66 year-old mother is completely dependent on hers. My step-father is in the hospital with Stage IV cancer so she is up there every day & she uses the phone like a PDA to keep up with notes, appointments, etc & uses it to surf or read news while he sleeps. But not every one likes them, particulalry blackberry users. Go play with one at the AT&T store & see what you think.

#4 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

G1 is quite nice. My advice would be to go to a store or find a friend that has one and play with it.

The Android OS is really neat and constantly expanding with features and such.

Only thing I do not love about it is the size, but it does have a keyboard which is nice (I still like keys vs. touchscreen for typing fast)
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#5 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

Ive played with the iphone and the only thing i dont like is the texting on that. I like the G1 because of the keyborad and touch screen. But i really should go to the tmobile store and look at them

#6 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

I love my iPhone... and couldn't imagine not having it. They're especially cool considering the way they integrate with other Mac equipment. However, the G1 is a pretty sweet phone... I would definitely recommend playing with each one for as much time as possible... and also, consider which carrier has better service in your area.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

I love my iPhone... and couldn't imagine not having it. They're especially cool considering the way they integrate with other Mac equipment. However, the G1 is a pretty sweet phone... I would definitely recommend playing with each one for as much time as possible... and also, consider which carrier has better service in your area.

I got to see about 2 hours of "side by side" functions with the G1 on the left and the iPhone on thei right at a friends location.

Like AirRocker....he is really into these toys.

Honestly...the G1 was far better in numerous ways, and if I'd have to choose, the iPhone would be a distant second.

I was equally impressed by the thousands of applications out there for the G1, most of which were not only very cool in terms of what they did, but most were free.

The construction, the screen, use of keyboard entry...on and on....the G1 was much nicer. But that's just 1 opinion...your mileage may vary. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

I really like my G1, I switched over from being a Sidekick user. Like Old school since the 1st sidekick. The G1 is fun , easy, and just a real nice phone. Drawback, waiting for a few better apps to get into the marketplace.
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#9 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

Stayed with AT&T and got an Incite. Love it. Got it on eBay so I'm not on contract any more (whoohoo). Take a look at one in your local store.
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#10 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:13 AM

Well, i went to the Tmobile store and they let me play with one. I played with it for about 10 mins and the layout is different. very easy to use, simple, and fun. I like how it has a option to go to the "market" and download all your free apps. Its easy to use. I like the texting on this phone WAY better then on the iphone.

My mother has an iphone and i played with that before and well...i am just not a big fan of it. It doesnt support files like the G1.

Thanks for all the info but i might go with the G1...get the favs (where you pick the 5 people you talk to) and the internet. I can always try it for 14 days and if i dont like it or feel like its the phone for me...return it.

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:51 AM

Well, i went to the Tmobile store and they let me play with one. I played with it for about 10 mins and the layout is different. very easy to use, simple, and fun. I like how it has a option to go to the "market" and download all your free apps. Its easy to use. I like the texting on this phone WAY better then on the iphone.

My mother has an iphone and i played with that before and well...i am just not a big fan of it. It doesnt support files like the G1.

Thanks for all the info but i might go with the G1...get the favs (where you pick the 5 people you talk to) and the internet. I can always try it for 14 days and if i dont like it or feel like its the phone for me...return it.

One last thing....

The free applications you can download are pretty impressive as well.

When the G1 was reelased...there were about 80 free applications available that day....now there are over 550. Obviously..this is picking up traction.

This is likely my next phone.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:18 AM

Seems to me many devs prefer the G1 platform as well. For nonMac Devs the iPhone is supposedly a bit tough to learn to program for.

Obviously many still do cause of its huge audience, but I think the G1 will see a lot of more interesting apps in the future because of its easier programming and less restrictions on what the apps can do.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#13 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

It doesnt support files like the G1.

What files?

#14 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

I like how it has a option to go to the "market" and download all your free apps.

You can also access the "app store" on the iphone and download straight to the phone, or browse and download on itunes (and then sync them).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...