Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is it (DHPP) worth it?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Artorture

Artorture

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

When my promotion for the Dish Home Protection Plan ended I removed from my account. Since I am leasing my equipment I figured that everything will be done free of charge, hardware wise. Was this a good move?

Edited by Artorture, 13 February 2009 - 11:54 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

From my understanding, the big difference between having DHPP and not is the cost to send a truck out to your house for a repair visit. It's something like $29 with the plan and $99 without it.

I dropped mine as soon as the promotion was over as well. I also understand that you can add it at any time, so if I ever do have a problem with my service that requires a visit, I will add it for that.

#3 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

I also understand that you can add it at any time, so if I ever do have a problem with my service that requires a visit, I will add it for that.

This is correct. If you experience any problems, you can add it at that time.

#4 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

I don't carry it anymore either. I had it when I owned my equip., but now I only have a leased receiver that is active on my account.

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

Even leased equipment has a warranty period. Once that is up, is the subscriber not responsible for out of warranty repair?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

Since I am leasing my equipment I figured that everything will be done free of charge, hardware wise.

From the February 2006 Tech Forum:

Tom: Does leasing include replacement if there are any issues?
LeeAnna: Leasing is a way to get an expensive receiver for a low up-front cost. All receivers have a 1-year warranty whether leased or owned. You can enroll in a warranty program such as Dish Home Protection Plan for the following year. DHPP is $5.99/mo, covers a reduced price service visit, free DishMover, and reduced price shipping.

Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#7 OFFLINE   Kagato

Kagato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

I'm a little confused. My DVR broke over the weekend, and the I guess at the same time one of the LNBs drifted enough to go offline. Dish said they were sending a tech out free of charge. I said okay.

I don't know if that is policy, or because I'm a 10+ year customer well out of contract on the VIP622.

#8 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

I'm a little confused. My DVR broke over the weekend, and the I guess at the same time one of the LNBs drifted enough to go offline. Dish said they were sending a tech out free of charge. I said okay.

I don't know if that is policy, or because I'm a 10+ year customer well out of contract on the VIP622.

When enough LNB drift is detected, they will send someone out to fix it, usually for free. Is that what you mean by "your DVR broke" or was there something else?

#9 OFFLINE   Kagato

Kagato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

The tech over the phone said he was seeing error codes for both alignment and Hard Drive. Tech is here right now with a new 722 and new LNBs.

#10 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

The LNB Drift issue superceded the HDDVR issue, good thing the phone agent probably noted the repair order to bring an HDDVR also.

Normally, leased receivers still have a $14.95 shipping charge, which DHPP waives.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#11 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

Shoot! When my DVR died a few months ago, I should have added DHPP, ordered the replacement and cancelled it when everything was back to normal. I would have saved $8.96. At least I got them to credit me for three days of lost service but I had to ask.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#12 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

When my promotion for the Dish Home Protection Plan ended I removed from my account. Since I am leasing my equipment I figured that everything will be done free of charge, hardware wise. Was this a good move?

I had DHPP for two years and never needed it, so I cancelled it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...