Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SELECT CHOICE

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dtrave

dtrave

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

The coming rate increase and my personal financial situation have me reviewing my DirecTV monthly costs. I found an old channel lineup which had the SELECT CHOICE channels notated, and it looks like a nice compromise between today's FAMILY and CHOICE packages. Looks like SELECT CHOICE doesn't have the audio channels, and doesn't have channels like IFC, AMC, TCM, and some others. Questions for anyone who is still holding on to this package:

What is the current rate for SELECT CHOICE?
Do you get your local sports channel included?
According to the old lineup, SC included Cartoon Network(296), Bravo(273), and USA (242). Is that still true?

I know SC is an "old" package, and you "can't" order it anymore. But I'm starting to think about asking customer retention to give me that package, if it will save me $$. I know they can do it, as someone had posted on another thread that their Dad had the SELECT CHOICE package, it was switched to CHOICE for some reason, and they convinced the DirecTV CSR to switch him back.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

First of all you need to check the current packages on the DirecTV website.

Secondly, you won't be able to get that package.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   dtrave

dtrave

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

I know the current packages. I realize that SELECT CHOICE is an "old" package that "can't" get (notice the quotes). But anyone who had SC when they changed the packages some years ago was grandfathered in, so there are still people with that package. And since there is still support for that package in the DirecTV system, they "could" give it others if they allowed it. So I'm hoping that someone that can answer my questions that I posted originally.

#4 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

I just talked to a CSR today about finding a cheaper package, and the Select Choice package was one that we discussed as an option. It might be worth a phone call to find out for sure if you can get it.

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#5 OFFLINE   Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

I also was offered the Select package as an option a few weeks ago. The CSR quoted me a price of $47.99 and she told me it included ESPN and ESPN2 (the two I was most interested in), but it does not include the NFL Network. I'm not sure of anything beyond that. I asked her if she could send me a channel lineup, and she said she'd mail one to me, but to my great surprise, it never arrived. I don't know why they don't advertise it (it's nowhere on their Web site).

I'm thinking I might try it in a few months as football season nears (I downgraded to the Family package for now). It's only 8 bucks a month cheaper than Choice, but I'm finding the live sports channels are the only channels I really miss, especially with online alternatives for pretty much any show I'm interested in on any network. And that 8 bucks a month adds up to nearly $100 a year, about a third of the price of my Sunday Ticket subscription (which I've found includes the NFL Network year round).

I'm not sure if Select includes RSNs, but if it doesn't, the difference in price would cover most of the cost of the Sports Pack, so I might go that route, too.

I, too, would love to see a channel lineup for Select if anyone has one.

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

DirecTV needs to list ALL programming packages on their website. The fact that an old, supposedly discontinued, package such as Select Choice can still be ordered is a disservice to those investigating DirecTV for the first time.

I think that DirecTV could get more subscribers if they advertised a lower cost package. Then those subs may opt for a higher priced package later. Also, with a slowing economy, they may get more subs as well if they offered an inexpensive package.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   slideaway

slideaway

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

I just called customer service today because I wanted to ask how they can lower my bill. The first rep just offered me the Current package that replaced my old "Total Choice Plus", for $3 more per month. Ah, I believe I asked how you can help lower my bill. Anyway, yak yak yak away with the rep and they transferred me, probably to customer retention, to continue the process. I told them that they lacked a package between the Family and Choice since there is a nearly $30 price difference. That is when she offered me the Total Choice Select package. She told me it was not on the website and only available for loyal customers, such as myself, or by special request. Not sure what special request would grant you this package, that doesn't exist. But same goes as for all others before me, I asked for a channel list and she said she'd email it. Email arrived with a link to directv.com/channels and we all know the Total Choice Select package is not listed on there. I think I'll go home and roll the channels to see what the current (no longer available) Total Choice Select channels are.
I did switch, $48.99/mo, and have 30-days to go back to the Total Choice Plus ($57.99/mo) if I am not satisfied.

Edited by slideaway, 27 April 2009 - 12:29 PM.
correct package name

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Select Choice is gone. Select is current. There are differences to those who have Select Choice and those who have Select.

#9 OFFLINE   Humnahey

Humnahey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

Any word on which channels are included in this package?

#10 OFFLINE   ronkuba

ronkuba

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

I just called customer service today because I wanted to ask how they can lower my bill. The first rep just offered me the Current package that replaced my old "Total Choice Plus", for $3 more per month. Ah, I believe I asked how you can help lower my bill. Anyway, yak yak yak away with the rep and they transferred me, probably to customer retention, to continue the process. I told them that they lacked a package between the Family and Choice since there is a nearly $30 price difference. That is when she offered me the Total Choice Select package. She told me it was not on the website and only available for loyal customers, such as myself, or by special request. Not sure what special request would grant you this package, that doesn't exist. But same goes as for all others before me, I asked for a channel list and she said she'd email it. Email arrived with a link to directv.com/channels and we all know the Total Choice Select package is not listed on there. I think I'll go home and roll the channels to see what the current (no longer available) Total Choice Select channels are.
I did switch, $48.99/mo, and have 30-days to go back to the Total Choice Plus ($57.99/mo) if I am not satisfied.

Would like to know what channels you get. Thanks

#11 OFFLINE   Flying Biker

Flying Biker

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

It is kind of interesting that this topic just came up as I am having some issues with Select Choice. I have had Select Choice for many years now. I winter in one state and summer in another so when I go for the winter, I turn off my locals and when I come back to my summer place I want my locals turned on. Well, now they will not allow me to turn my locals back on because this is an Obsolete Package. Anyone have any ideas as to how I might get to someone that can? Or do I need to play CSR roulette.

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

It is kind of interesting that this topic just came up as I am having some issues with Select Choice. I have had Select Choice for many years now. I winter in one state and summer in another so when I go for the winter, I turn off my locals and when I come back to my summer place I want my locals turned on. Well, now they will not allow me to turn my locals back on because this is an Obsolete Package. Anyone have any ideas as to how I might get to someone that can? Or do I need to play CSR roulette.

You could get yourself an R22 (standard-definition DVR) and an AM-21 tuner ($50) and tell them to forget about locals. With an AM-21 you can watch & record your locals over the air. When you change locations, you just punch in your ZIP code and then you can watch/record your locals at the OTHER location!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

Total Choice Select (as it's called) is $48.99/mo. Excluding shopping and religious channels, the channel lineup includes: CNN, HLN, ESPN, ESPN2, HGTV, TV Guide, USA, TNT, TBS, Comedy Central, Fit TV, A&E, Discovery, TLC, NASA, Disney, Cartoon Network, Nickolodeon, CMT, BET, MTV, VH1, CSPAN, CSPAN2, Bloomberg, CNBC, MSNBC, CNBC World, FOX, Weather Channel, Link

Note it doesn't include RSNs or the mix channels. This may not be for everyone, but if you're primarily interested in ESPN (as I am), this is the least expensive way to get it. I get NFL Network year round with my Sunday Ticket subscription, and I add the Sports Pack during football season, so the local RSNs aren't a major loss for me. I realize it's only $7 less than Choice, but at $84 a year, that helps offset the Sunday Ticket price.

If you're interested, you may have to ask more than one CSR. It took two calls for me as the first one said it wasn't offered anymore.

#14 OFFLINE   Humnahey

Humnahey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:55 AM

Total Choice Select (as it's called) is $48.99/mo. Excluding shopping and religious channels, the channel lineup includes: CNN, HLN, ESPN, ESPN2, HGTV, TV Guide, USA, TNT, TBS, Comedy Central, Fit TV, A&E, Discovery, TLC, NASA, Disney, Cartoon Network, Nickolodeon, CMT, BET, MTV, VH1, CSPAN, CSPAN2, Bloomberg, CNBC, MSNBC, CNBC World, FOX, Weather Channel, Link

Note it doesn't include RSNs or the mix channels. This may not be for everyone, but if you're primarily interested in ESPN (as I am), this is the least expensive way to get it. I get NFL Network year round with my Sunday Ticket subscription, and I add the Sports Pack during football season, so the local RSNs aren't a major loss for me. I realize it's only $7 less than Choice, but at $84 a year, that helps offset the Sunday Ticket price.

If you're interested, you may have to ask more than one CSR. It took two calls for me as the first one said it wasn't offered anymore.

I currently have the international preferred choice and that has ESPN and ESPN2 and is cheaper than the select choice you have above. The international preferred choice does not have MSNBC or FOXNews and maybe a few others.

I added the myx channel for $4.99 in order to order the package but then was able to cancel that channel and still keep my cheap package.

I have Sunday Ticket as well, but I do not get NFL Network in either SD or HD.

#15 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

I currently have the international preferred choice and that has ESPN and ESPN2 and is cheaper than the select choice you have above. The international preferred choice does not have MSNBC or FOXNews and maybe a few others.

I added the myx channel for $4.99 in order to order the package but then was able to cancel that channel and still keep my cheap package.

I have Sunday Ticket as well, but I do not get NFL Network in either SD or HD.

When did you get International + MYX? Many are reporting now that DTV has closed the loophole and MYX is no longer all you need to qualify for Preferred Choice - they require a full international package.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#16 OFFLINE   Humnahey

Humnahey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

I got it a month or two ago. Not sure how the loophole can be closed? The still have the international preferred choice package on their website.

I called DirecTV and told the CSR that I wanted to add the Myx channel. He told me I would need a new dish. I told him I didn't want the channel, I just wanted to switch to the international preferred choice package. He didn't think it would work, but it did.

Since the package doesn't come with the RSN, I added the sports pack about a month later in order to watch baseball. Since I cannot change my programming online, I had to call directv. I told the CSR that I wanted to add the sports pack, cancel the protection plan, and cancel the MYX channel. She typed a few things and she was done. Never mention that she wasn't able to cancel the myx channel.

Of course, if you're a directv vet, you know that all CSRs are different. I am positive you can still get this deal if you just call a few times. Like Heisenberg above, I was mainly interested in ESPN and ESPN2 and this is the cheapest way I found.

#17 OFFLINE   Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

I, too, had read the MYX/International was no longer possible. Maybe I'll try it in the next few days. I'm especially impressed, Humnahey, that you were later able to drop MYX and keep Preferred Choice. Anyone else sign up for Preferred Choice recently?

Incidentally, I noticed on the DirecTV Web site the drop-down channel listings and details boxes are now disabled for International channels.

#18 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

Here's the thread where people reported they could no longer get Preferred Choice with just the MYX channel.

http://www.dbstalk.c...7&highlight=myx

Here's the direct number to the International order desk: 1-800-378-3309
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#19 OFFLINE   Humnahey

Humnahey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:29 AM

I'd keep calling and see if you get a CSR who will let you. If not, just add one of the $10 international channels and see if you can cancel it later like I did with MYX. If not, then just cancel the package all together and move to select choice or another cheaper package.

#20 OFFLINE   Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

My first attempt at switching to Preferred Choice struck out. I, too, was told MYX isn't available as a standalone option. The least expensive add on was $14.99, which with $35.99 Preferred Choice, totals $51 -- just $5 cheaper than Choice. It'd definitely be worth it if I was later able to drop the International programming, but if not, I think I'm better off with Select (at $49) or Choice. I might give it another try in a bit.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...